iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Violent 80's movies your parents disaproved of.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Violent 80's movies your parents disaproved of.
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watching my new DVD of Revenge of the Ninja. Hadn't seen it in years, still as violent as I remember it. I distinctly remember my mom not likeing some of my favorite movies at the time like the Friday the 13th series, First Blood-Rambo, Missing in Action and some of the Sho Kosugi Ninja films. Did your parents give you a hard time for watching this stuff?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my mom wasn't too happy when I rented "Lethal Weapon" when I was 16. That was rather odd, considering that she let me watch "Beverly Hills Cop" and "48 HRS" when I turned 14 years old. Things eventually changed in my favor, though, and by my final year of high school, I got my first DVD player. The Director's Cut of "Lethal Weapon" was one of the first DVDs I purchased.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOOH...My son just said to my mom....he said..."Did you know your child was sneeking downstairs at night to watch scary movies on HBO". (Cause me and my brother use to set the alarm clock to watch scary movies in the middle of the night)...My mom said it was a good thing for me, that she was asleep and knew nothing or she would have killed me.

She said what movies did you watch... I said:

10 to Midnight, Silent Scream and Silent Rage, but nothing freaked her out as bad as me saying "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" She said I can't believe you watched that movie in the 7th grade, she said "Your grounded!"

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually had to screen the movies first to see if it was something my parents would like [Wink]
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There really were not any from the 80's that my parents disapproved of. However, I was not allowed to watch the Excorcist, and a few others from the 70's because of my brother's "delicate" nature. (The jerk always had to be included with anything I did as a child).
I do remember watching The Sentinel (1977) with my boyfriend at my parents house around 1988-89, and they decided to sit in on it. I kind of remember some sort of lesbian-type action going on in one scene, and I was soooooo embarrassed! I'm surprised they didn't crucify me there!

Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i watched everything. my parents were too busy i think. we had all the cable channels so it turned me into a tv kid.

my mom did get mad when she caught me watching purple rain, and it was the ..."steamy" scene.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NowhereGirl:
i watched everything. my parents were too busy i think. we had all the cable channels so it turned me into a tv kid.

my mom did get mad when she caught me watching purple rain, and it was the ..."steamy" scene.

Oh, yeah, that part... [Big Grin]

For some reason, my mom allowed me to watch Purple Rain & Krush Groove & A Clockwork Orange & R-rated stuff like that once I turned 15. She even got them for me for Christmas! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was younger the VCR (Oh yeah: remember when they cost sooo much money and your family bought ONE and put it in Mom and Dads room? I guess if your folks were nice they put it in the living room: Not mine!) so renting a video was always tough for me. If they didnt watch it with me, theyd walk in on me or watch it if I left it lying around.

I watched NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT and THE BABY with my father in the room (!) and I rented CLASS OF 1984, which im sure they watched it after I was done with it.

I remember renting SECRET ADMIRER and JUST ONE OF THE GUYS and then I went out. When I came back they told me how good the movies were! (I was surprised not only had they watched them, they liked them)

Around the time I was 16 I was totally into Horror movies ...but they never complained about it.

I remember once my friend came over with an ANDREW DICE CLAY video and I wasnt home. My mom said to come on in, start watching it, I would be home soon. Well, THAT one she complained about! I walked in and she said "I dont know what kind of smut your friend is watching!"

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mum never had a problem with me watching anything when I lived at home because we didn't get a VCR until 1989 when I was 16, but she always had a habit of walking in just as the scene with the most violence or bad language or sex scenes were happening. I know it was never intentional, but man it was embarassing!

I remember though that the only thing I wasn't allowed to watch on tv when I was younger was "Prisoner", an Aussie soap set in a female prison. I snuck out one night and watched it by peeking around the hallway corner into the loungeroom. I made it most of the way through until I was srung...

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was somewhat banned from watching alot of violent and horror movies back in the 80s, but my parents became more laxed and let me start watching certain things. I remember a bunch of us from elementary school sneaking and watching Friday the 13th Parts 1-4 all night one Friday night when I was about 10.........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents allowed me to watch violent films as a kid. They only banned me from watching R rated movies that had a lot of strong sex scenes in them. Of course I was able to watch them when they weren't around. I don't know why my parents were like that.

I was also not allowed to watch "The Exorcist".

Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents never said anything about the violent parts. They didn't like me hearing the "f" word (they never say it). They also wouldn't let me watch any sex type stuff. They'd watch it first and then let me watch it. I remember I always wanted to see Roadhouse with Patrick Swayze and they wouldn't let me watch it. So when I reached the age that they WOULD have let me watch it, it no longer appealed to me. Still haven't seen it to this day.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only movie my mom never let me watch was Body Double, I watched it as an adult and understood why.
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nightmare on Elm Street
Friday the 13th

Those were the only ones I can remember but she did let me watch Commando when I was like 5.

Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe it or not Sixteen Candles. My mom didn't want me watching the shower scene over and over again. I guess I was in awe of that kind of thing when I was 10, who isn't. Can you imagine if it would have been Jake in the shower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spookwoman
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 4760

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for spookwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was allowed to watch pretty much anything.
I do remember going in and renting revenge of billy the kid when i turned 18. my brothers had told me about it having a sick sense of humor.
went in and i got a going over by the clerk about it being nasty, had to show id.
i told my mum i had got it and watched when she went to bed. i kept her awake with my laughing.

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koboltmonkey
Rewind Curious
Member # 4834

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for koboltmonkey   Email koboltmonkey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was also allowed to watch anything. I bought Robocop last year and watched it for the first time in about 13 years. I forgot how surprisingly gory it was.
Posts: 2 | From: Springfield, Missouri | Registered: Jun 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SHOGUN
Master Rewinder
Member # 477

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for SHOGUN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
robocop was definite an extrem,e voilent flick..need i say anymore *ahem* the acid van splatter scene!!! OUCH!!

many horrors...hellraiser, nightmares elms streets..etc!!

Posts: 199 | From: LONDON | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny thing i remember :

My parents didn't allow me to see Cat People (1982) probably because of the sex-scenes in it..
but surprisingly they didn't have a problem with me seeing John Carpenter's The Thing..

This was somewhere in the mid-1980's, and apparently they didn't have a clue.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They didn't have any prob with all the films I watched. Thank god for that [Smile] It breaks my heart when people say they were banned from horrors and stuff as a kid [Razz] Some of my fondest memories.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's so true !
Seeing these films at a young age was not only about just seeing them.. but at a time when your
fantasy is still limitless, it was about experience it.. hell, we LIVED all those
adventures ! WE were the ones who were done wrong, WE were the ones who acted out revenge,
WE were the ones that went 'back' to school, to police- and / or combat academies, and WE were the ones who fought several villains (some of them numerous times)..
It's an abillity that somehow gets lost when you grow up.. unfortunately.

The memories and the movies remain.. forever !

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watching movies as a kid that you wern't allowed was kinda like drinking under age....way more fun! We had a movie channel in the early 80's and I have fond memories of staying up late with my brother and watching movies we wern't allowed to...with the volume down low....Conan the Barbarian was one I specifically remember. I also remember watching movies with the family where Dad would say "cover your eyes" for any nudity....I assume he knew that with our wide spread fingers covering our faces....we could obviously still see.....great memories....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those sound an awful lot like my same memories. I had two sisters and they were the "property" of mom and she ruled the roost there, but being the middle child and the only boy, he wrapped a wing around me and said "mine" very early on. I saw Jaws at 5 in 1975 and was afraid to swim (even though I did it for years to come). Dad had a movie buddy and whatever he wanted to see was what I got to see as well, or rent, or stay up late for when the girls had to go to bed.

Mom would always come in the room about the time an alien was bursting out of a chest, some beautiful blonde co-ed was peeling off her top and pretend to be angry [Mad] and dad would feign his best "oh no! busted!" look [Eek!] , but it was all in fun...and yes, mom was the one that had to stay up even later comforting a twelve year old and telling him an evil stuffed clown wasn't going to pop out from underneath his bed! [Big Grin]

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home