iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Best Part of Your Fav 80's Movies (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best Part of Your Fav 80's Movies
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Fast Times At Ridgemont High

First of all Rat, you never let on how much you like a girl. "Oh, Debbie. Hi." Two, you always call the shots. "Kiss me. You won't regret it." Now three, act like wherever you are, that's the place to be. "Isn't this great?" Four, when ordering food, you find out what she wants, then order for the both of you. It's a classy move. "Now, the lady will have the linguini and white clam sauce, and a Coke with no ice." And five, now this is the most important, Rat. When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV.

For this alone Valley, I think you're the coolest! I love that scene, I love those lines! You did it perfectly! I'm going to be back with my favorites soon. I need time to think about them. This is important [Wink] .
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a few more.

-The scene in "Poltergeist" where Carol Ann delivers the 2 magic words..."They're here!".

-The scene in "The Color Purple" where they all sing "God Is Trying To Tell You Something".

-The last battle between Connor MacLeod and the Kurrgan in "Highlander" (especially when Connor shrieks "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!" and a wall of glass shatters intol millions of little pieces).

-The scene in "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" where Spicoli has pizza delivered to his history class. Why can't Sean Penn do comedies anymore? "Shanghai Surprise" couldn't have been THAT bad.

-Roy Batty's final monologue in "Blade Runner" ("They'll all be lost...Like tears in rain. Time to die!")

-The scene in "Rambo: First Blood, Part 2" where the title character grabs the radio and growls "Murdock...I'm coming to get you!".

-The scene in "Beaches" where C.C performs "Oh, Industry".

-The scene in "The Man With Two Brains" where Dr. Huffurrhr finds a woman with the perfect body for his brain, only to discover that she has a screechy Noo Yawk accent.

-The scene in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" where Jessica sings "Why Don't You Do Right?".

-Speaking of Amy Irving, I like the scene in "Crossing Delancey" where Izzy is racing back to Bubbe's apartment in the back of a taxi driven by a man who is taking a driver's test.

-Any scene in "Airplane!" with Johnny, but most especially the scene where, when asked what to make of a newspaper headline, he makes things with the paper ("A pterodactyal...Or a broach!")

So many memories, so little time.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eurotrash
Rewind Curious
Member # 4772

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for eurotrash   Email eurotrash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Burbs

When Rumsfield eats his animal crackers, and also when he falls off the roof. YO RUMSFIELD!!!!!
 -

Posts: 6 | From: Montréal, Québec, Canada | Registered: May 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite part in Rad (whcih is my all time favorite movie) is the Real Life music scene where they are doing the tricks in the gym.
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a few more:

Footloose

I totally love the dancing shoes in the opening credits. As far as the actual movie, I'll go with Ren's speech at the town meeting. Jump back!

Breakfast Club, The

When they are running in the school hallways trying to avoid Principle Vernon and lose their traction on the slippery floor. I hope I explained the scene well enough, I have always thought it was so neat.

License To Drive

Mercedes in the trunk.... then the drunk steals Les' grandpa's car and starts listening to "I Did It My Way" while slicing limes on his dashboard. Wait change that to when Les leaves his dad standing with the diapers on the sidewalk while he gives Mercedes a ride across town.

Vision Quest

The scene where Louden rushes home to the song "No More Words" by Berlin to only find out that Carla had moved out. They synched that song up perfectly to the scene in the movie.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raiders of the Lost Ark:
When Indy is in the map room with the staff and the sun light hits the Ark location. I love the music in that scene.

The Empire Strikes Back:

When Darth Vader tells Luke "I am your Father".

The Goonies:
I like the attic scene when they first find the map. I like the part when Chunk is being questioned by the Fratelli's. Last but not least, I like the pirate ship scene.

Rocky IV:
I like the scene when Rocky is driving and the song "No Easy Way Out" is playing.

The Karate Kid:

The tournament scene when the song "Your the Best Around" is playing.

Rambo II:

The scene where Rambo is at the mic and says "Murdock, I'm coming to get you".

Commando:

When Arnold is holding Sully over the cliff and says "You remember Sully when I promised to kill you last? I lied."

[ 04. June 2006, 19:46: Message edited by: Brandon777 ]

Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eurotrash, that is a very funny part from The 'Burbs!! [Smile] [Big Grin]
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just One of the Guys

I will start by saying Buddy is totally hilarious and you could pick several of his scene stealing moments. But my favorite part is right after Rick stands up to the bullie Greg Tolan in the cafeteria, and Terry convinces Rick to ask out just one more girl to Prom. So Rick ask Deborah and to his dismay she accepts. The dialogue between Rick and Deborah is 80's priceless, but the expression on Terry's face as she realizes that she has fallen for Rick is what makes this scene so awesome.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Earl's comments on the "Vision Quest" thread about "personally iconic movie moments" reminded of this thread from 2006. I just read again from start to finish and I'm totally stoked to watch some movies this weekend!

Several people weighed in with their thoughts back then, but I'd love to hear from anyone that wants to share more moments that make a particular movie resonate with them forever!

Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley you are the absolute best! I knew you guys had to have something like this and after reading through all of them (ALL BRILLIANT!), it looks like the consensus is that everyone one just loves Rambo's promise to Murdock to pay him a visit! [Wink]

I love the scene that was described simply as the advice to Rat in Fast Times! No more explanation needed. I will be back soon with some that I love...most of which were mentioned here, but there are others to be sure...Thanks again Valley! [Big Grin]

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earl Keese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so just to start off with a few 80's movie moments that I thought were truly inspired and have stayed with me all these years...

The Right Stuff (1983) - The scene after Sam Shepard as Chuck Yeager takes up and crashes an experimental new plane and his crew is coming toward the smoke in jeeps and you just see a shimmering figure in the desert and one of them says something like
"Is that a man?" and the other kind of smiles proudly and says something like
"You bet it is." (the double meaning subtly implied) and that great soundtrack swells as it cuts to Yeager burned and bloody yet walking upright and forward with purpose. That just gets me no matter how many time I see it.

Chariots of Fire - During his final run at the Olympics when Eric Liddell (played perfectly by Ian Charleson). He has remained steadfast and unwavering in his commitment not to run on the sabbath. When he finally does run, they pull this race together in such a beautiful way. It is still about running, but then again, not. The scene starts to slow down and he begins an inner dialogue that is clipped from an earlier explanation to his sister.
"I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure." In slow motion as this ends, his head starts to rock back as the music swells. It is one of the most effective pieces where I have been able to almost feel the inner joy of another in a movie. Deeply affecting.

I also liked
Rambo: First Blood Part II: - When the lightening and thunder crash, Rambo grips tighly the microphone and whispers "Murdock...I'm coming to get you." [Razz]

There are more coming to be sure, but this is my start. I will try to keep them shorter in the future...but probably not much luck there...I just love this stuff! [Big Grin]

Posts: 253 | From: ILLINOIS | Registered: May 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAY LEE
Rewind Jedi
Member # 6345

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JAY LEE   Email JAY LEE   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too many to choose from. But right off the top of my head...

Raiders Of The Lost Ark: The opening scene in Peru. The spiders, the poisonous darts, the treachery of Satipo, the boulder, the Hovitos, Belloq’s ecchoing laugh. Probably the best opening sequence in movie history.

First Blood: The night chase through the woods. Rambo going all “Nam”, and setting up traps for Sheriff, Will Teasle and his incompetent deputies. Awesome atmosphere!

Poltergeist: The breakfast scene, where the spoons bend, the glass bottom falls out, and the chairs stack themselves (in a continous shot). Vintage Spielberg, as is the whole movie. Tobe Hooper was probably too busy doing coke to bother with his directing duties.

Fast Times At Ridgemont High: Phoebe Cates poolside scene. No explanation required.

Return Of The Jedi: The scene in Jabba’s lair. The original version. Not the truly horrendous CGI crapfest that George Lucas would later slap on top. God I hate that guy with a passion.

Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom: every scene…. But if I only had to pick one. Then the whole initial sequence in India, from the village, through the elephant trek, the night time scene, to the arrival at Pankot palace. Great balance of levity, and impending danger.

Goonies: The truffle shuffle….. what else can you say?

Rocky IV: Training sequence in Russia. Vince DiCola’s music, mixed with the images of Sly powering through the kneehigh snow is pure 80’s awesomeness!

Big Trouble In Little China: Well, every scene in this movie is pure brilliance. But right off the top of my head…. The alley funeral fight. Chang Sings VS Wing Kongs. The arrival of The Three Storms. Running over Lo Pan. Classic stuff.

Aliens: Aliens within the perimeter…. All the bleeps coming closer, and closer on the radar. Hicks checking the air vent…. Aliens galore, creeping towards him. Pure brilliance. Plus, the much appreciated death of Paul Reiser….. Yeeeehaaaw, that’s for seven years of Mad About You, biiiiatch!!!

To be continued....

Posts: 1278 | From: Denmark,Europe | Registered: Dec 2007 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool thread!

Spellbinder - Don't wanna ruin for anybody, so I'll just say the "twist" at the end.

Fire with Fire - The entire dance segment is awesome.

Eliminators - The final fight scene near the end.

First Blood - The scenes involving Rambo in the mine and also when he first flees and enters the forest.....his whole "preparation" process of entering survival mode.

Revenge of the Nerds - So many here. The concert they perform, panty raid, gym scenes (all of them), house party..... I could go on forever here.

The Lost Boys - Carnival scenes and all the scenes involving killing off the coven.

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
Footloose - "Chuck you're a ** hero when its five to one!" Flying karate kick to face...cut to out of focus shot of staircase and Ren runs down the stairs "Hey, hey! What's this I see? I thought this was a party. LET'S DANCE!"

Total chaos ensues...An iconic 80's moment is born. [Smile]

Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
Pee Wee's Big Adventure (1985) - Pee Wee has just been picked up by Mickey who is on the lamb from the law and as they're driving down the highway in the convertible, Mickey has to do something and he grabs Pee Wee's hand and puts it on the wheel so he can steer. Pee Wee's reaction is a mix of excitement/fear/nervousness all barely contained like this is such a big deal to him. It is such a little throw away scene, but captures exactly how an 11 year old would feel and react to such a simple task and cracks me up every single time.
Zombo
Rewinder
Member # 8405

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Zombo   Email Zombo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lethal Weapon
"I'm a real cop, that's a real badge, and this is a real ****ing gun!"

Night of the Comet
"Daddy would've gotten us UZIs."

Return of the Jedi
One of those annoying little rats...er, Ewoks...gets smoked by a stormtrooper. Cheers all around!

Highlander
The Kurgan in the car with the old lady. "Mom!" indeed.

Flash Gordon
Flash showing Ming's troops why he was the starting quarterback for the New york Jets...and obviously a scrambling QB at that!

Earth Girls Are Easy
Julie Brown's classic "'Cause I'm a Blonde."

Posts: 32 | From: Monroeville Mall | Registered: Nov 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl Keese
Master Rewinder
Member # 7986

Member Rated:
Aliens (1986) - About twenty minutes in..."TOES ON THE LINE!!! WHAT ARE WE?! MARINES! EXPRESS ELEVATOR TO HELL!! GOIN' DOWN! TALK TO ME HUDSON! THEY'RE ALL AROUND MAN IN FRONT AND BEHIND!" ...and it just doesn't let up until you are crawling out of your skin with your back against the movie theatre seat.

Back to the Future (1985) - The whole clock tower scene as Marty is flying toward the contact point and Doc is struggling to put it all back together, talk about building the intenisty and then delivering right as the lighting strikes...BAM!...And Marty is gone...Yahoooo is right Emmett. [Wink]

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1988) -
"Your step-mom IS cute though."
"Shut up Ted!"
"Remember when I asked her to the Prom?"
"Shut up Ted!"

The Blues Brother (1980) - Aretha is giving Matt Guitar Murphy what fer in the song/dance number Think. Jake and Elwood are doing their best to remain aloof and inconspicuous until the camera pans across the diner where Jake and Elwood have joined the back up singers to in their choreographed back up dance. Brilliant...just brilliant.

The Breakfast Club (1985) - C'mon...what am I going to do? Quote the whole movie?!

Kowalski
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8412

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kowalski   Email Kowalski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Planes, Trains & Automobiles

When Del is driving the car and gets his hands stuck behind his seat

Posts: 357 | From: Ireland | Registered: Nov 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find this scene very funny when Rusty Griswold and Cousin Dale are talking in his bedroom and Rusty wants to buy the magazine and Dale is like no way "I use 'em alot". Rusty replies "How do you use a magazine"
"I was gettin to that" said Dale. You know the rest. The best part is that Dale is squeezing the hand exerciser during this scene.

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sphinx Gate scene in "The Never Ending Story" would easily be one for me. I remember the first time I saw the movie as a youngster, I was literally on the edge of my seat screaming at the screen "Run Atreyu, Runn!" right along with the movie characters. Can't think of too many other movies I ever became that involved in..lol. [Smile]

So anyway, here's the scene..I still think it's Awesome! [Cool]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCLAduDXPpQ

[ 08. January 2012, 15:06: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home