iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What's with clown dolls and 80's movies? Check out these pics! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's with clown dolls and 80's movies? Check out these pics!
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on a weird kick here today so bear with me. I just got done reading The Valley Girl's Guide to Life book and it mentions cool things that "every Valley Girl should have in her room." One of the items was something called a Pierrot doll. I had no idea what that was so I Googled it and found out it was a certain kind of clown doll.

Then I watched Valley Girl last night and April Fools Day today and I noticed that both movies had clown dolls in them. How weird is this? I then thought about the giant clown doll in St. Elmo's Fire. I'm really freaked out now! Look for yourself!
 - -Valley Girl
 - -April Fool's Day
 - -St. Elmo's Fire

Totally creepy right?

[ 01. April 2006, 15:52: Message edited by: cindymancini ]

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clowns should not be in doll form. They're just smilin' at ya, waiting... *shivers* Yikes!
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange coincidink...
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clowns scare me...I don't see how anybody can find them enjoyable.

To me, the scariest 80s clown is Jack Nicholson as The Joker in "Batman", while the honor for scariest clown of the 90s goes to Tim Curry as Pennywise in "Stephen King's It".

Keep those things away from me. [Eek!]

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Killer Klowns From Outer Space.

Scariest. Movie. Ever.

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All clowns are evil. Why do you think serial killers dress up as clowns?
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stu1984
Master Rewinder
Member # 3248

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for stu1984   Email stu1984   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta admit, clowns freak me out too. It think it might be because I watched IT when I was too young, and it stuck in my memory.
Posts: 226 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IT wasn't the cause of my coulrophobia, and I don't think it was Poltergeist either. I remember being really really little and being freaked out by clowns at a circus. I think it's because behind the makeup and the fake painted on smile, you can't tell what the clown is really thinking. Is he going to give you a balloon, or is he going to bite your face off?

My worst nightmare would be to walk into a room full of clowns. I think I would die.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy, thanks for answering one of my questions....I always wondered if the clown from "Valley Girl" was the same clown from "April Fool's Day"....and I'm not talking about Tommy. The answer is obviously no, but cool pictures.

Btw Lupa, I love the movie "Killer Klowns Form Outerspace"...the part where the clown tries to lure the kid away from the mother is extremely creepy actually. [Eek!]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairytayle_17
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4041

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for fairytayle_17   Email fairytayle_17   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my best friend has caulrophobia!... and being such a nice friend i rented it the clown for us to watch.. "have a balloon georgie".. that did it. hah funnily enough she is still my friend!
Posts: 58 | From: Isle of Wight, England | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, clowns are freaky. A few years ago my husband won a contest at work and brought home a bunch of thsoe dolls like the one in APRIL FOOLS DAy for my daughter. One by one I threw them out. They are just too freaky.

Did anyone see that TV movie about John Wayne Gacy (might have been mad ein the '90s) Yes, he was a freaky deaky clown serial killer and apparently, after he was convicted he started selling his artwork...which is mostly paintings of clowns. DAMN THOSE CLOWNS!!!!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG, mamamia, I was just thinking about the same thing! They just had that thing about Serial killers on Discovery last week, and all I could think about was what a creepy clown John Wayne Gacy made. What kid would want him at his party? He would have freaked me out!
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not afraid of clowns. In fact, I actually like them. [Smile]
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
My friend took me to a haunted house (which was actually a corn field) and they had different sections in it, mostly where people would jump out of the corn stalks and scare you. They even had a school bus you had to run through while the guy from Jeepers Creepers swatted at you from the roof (Yeah, I commando rolled on the floor. He ain't got me!). I'm the biggest chicken but I went because she loves this stuff, but when we got to an area FULL of clowns, she was clinging to me like a baby. My only comfort was that the people weren't allowed to touch us, but it was enough for me to get a big ego and strut my stuff. Fun times.
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else get the same feeling about The Burger King KING from those weird commercials? [Eek!]
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
Anyone else get the same feeling about The Burger King KING from those weird commercials? [Eek!]

Hell yes, that thing is scary.

The commercial with the "King Kong" tie-in was the scariest. I mean, the King is scary on his own, but to make him appear that tall sends the scare factor up the chart.

Thankfully, he seems to have been phased out...I hope.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those haunted house things are scary. Not the ones at like GREAT ADVENTURE. The ones they have upstate that cost about $15 to get in. There is one in Sterling Forest in Tuxedo NY where they come right up to you and grab you. I will never ever go in that thing again!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They used a clown suit in Halloween when Michael Myers was a kid, there really must be a psychological connection to all of it...that's why people fearing clowns seems so common.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clowns sure are evil! Whoever in the world thought that those things wouldn't be scary to kids! They are a nightmare! I had't quite remembered all of the 80s flicks that had them in them that weren't even supposed to be scary like Valley Girl and St Elmo's Fire.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:

I certainly do.. sometimes he gives this ole corpse the chills.
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imawalkingcorpse
Master Rewinder
Member # 1675

1 Update

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for imawalkingcorpse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jessie the Sunflower Goddess:
Clowns sure are evil! Whoever in the world thought that those things wouldn't be scary to kids! They are a nightmare! I had't quite remembered all of the 80s flicks that had them in them that weren't even supposed to be scary like Valley Girl and St Elmo's Fire.

Scaredy cat. [Big Grin]
Posts: 199 | From: Overland Park | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to see everyone is enjoying my freaky clown topic. It's draws you right in...they are evil!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
Oddly enough, though, I enjoy the music of Insane Clown Posse. Maybe that's just because I like the outrageous lyrics and driving music.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

annier
Master Rewinder
Member # 3305

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for annier   Author's Homepage   Email annier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate clowns too.

My sister had her whole bedroom done in "Pierrot".
She had the wallpaper, duvet cover, lamp shades, and loads of dolls. I was only 5 when she had it done like that but i hated it.

Remember the clown in "Poltergeist" ?

Annier

Posts: 312 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
The Poltergeist clown is scarier than Pennywise from "It", IMHO...
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home