iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Has there been a better teen movie sense Fast Times? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Has there been a better teen movie sense Fast Times?
kenkobra
Master Rewinder
Member # 892

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kenkobra   Email kenkobra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now kids of today would say America Pie but those of us how saw it back in 1982 know Fast Times was much better. What are you thoughts?
Posts: 224 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_haimster
Rewinder
Member # 4485

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for the_haimster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoughts are that there have been many teen films better than Fast Times but its all a matter of opinions.

A teen film without The Corey's just isn't a teen film at all!

Posts: 45 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that Fast Times was the inspiration for all of those teen movies like American Pie.
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three words for you all

Dazed and Confused

Got it?

Good

My work is done here

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah...I didn't "get" DAZED AND CONFUSED.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's compromise.

"Fast Times" is the best teen movie of the 80s, while "Dazed And Confused" is the best teen movie of the 90s.

Only time will tell if this decade can stack up with one major teen flick.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Fast Times was the building block for American Pie and other teen movies. I gotta go with Dazed and Confused though....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fast Times is my favorite movie. I never get sick of it. The characters are great, the setting and time period is so awesome, the soundtrack rules and it's really a funny movie that's got a lot of heart in the end. Don't get me wrong, I liked American Pie but I don't think any of these other movies will hold up in all aspects like Fast Times has. Just my humble opinion.

"So are you working hard or hardly working?"-Ron Johnson

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I tend to think that the soundtrack makes the movie great. Star power and memorable scenes might make it the best. I don't know though, because my favorite is 16 candles. Awesome soundtrack though many of the songs weren't made for the movie.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will say this...

Those Damn AMERICAN PIE movies SUCK! [Mad] "I really hate them" i tried to watch them but it was like getting a tooth pulled with a rusty pair of plyers. That's how i feel about most of the Teen Comedies of TODAY

Fast Times At Ridgemont High is a Classic..i mean i really dont see people watching American Pie 20 something years later like we are still watching FAST TIMES.

"No WAY! there's no birthday waiting for me here"

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard Criterion are going to be doing a release of Dazed And Confused this summer, meaning it'll be the best DVD version to date.

I enjoyed the American Pie movies for what they were, trashy comedies that get their kicks from how sick they can make the jokes rather than how funny they can make the jokes, but I'd never buy or pay to see them. 80s teen movies on the other hand, shelves full of em [Smile]

I think there's another 90s film that needs an honourable mention in this category: PCU

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to emphasize that I wasn't saying that Dazed and Confused is better than Fast Times at Ridgemont High I was just answering the question that I felt that D&C was the best teen movie since FTARH.

I think they're both excellent movies and both stand up admirably on their own merits. Two of my all time favourite movies of all time.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually think Dazed and Confused is almost as entertaining as Fast Times At Ridgemont High. Did I just agree with Sammy, say it ain't so. [Razz]

Fast Times is the original classic and Jeff Spicoli will always be the best pizza eating surf champion that ever lived, but don't underestimate David Wooderson and his love for the Freshman Crop. Both movies have Awesome quotes and hilarious moments.

In the end though.....Fast Times is totally 80's for me, so when it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV.

Hey Bud, Let's Party! Awesome! Totally Awesome! All right, Hamilton! [Cool]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean right up this ramp?

First door on the left...

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone think Fast Times had kind of a leftover '70s feeling to it?

I know it's from 1982, but honestly, the overall feel is lika a combination of '70s teen movies like American Graffiti or Rock & Roll High School and "beginner '80s". I say that because, Spicoli was a pothead (which was viewed as more of a burnout/loser thing to do in the '80s. It was more of a '70s social thing IMO), but at the same time, the mall was the major landmark and there was tons of "valley" slang.

It was I guess, like an "80s modified" '70s. 1979-81 and even up to '83 a little bit, had this feeling.

Movies and other things in pop culture wasn't 100% total '80s until 1984.

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it true that they are re-making REVENGE OF THE NERDS, ROCK & ROLL HIGH SCHOOL and PORKYS???

Damn them! Damn them all to Hell!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cindymancini:
Fast Times is my favorite movie. I never get sick of it. The characters are great, the setting and time period is so awesome, the soundtrack rules and it's really a funny movie that's got a lot of heart in the end. Don't get me wrong, I liked American Pie but I don't think any of these other movies will hold up in all aspects like Fast Times has. Just my humble opinion.

"So are you working hard or hardly working?"-Ron Johnson

Great quote cindi! This is my husband's fave, and it's one of my faves. He can quote every freakin line from the movie- it's hilarious! I think he likes doing the Damone lines the best.
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

quote:
Originally posted by Nice Guy Sammy_Hain:
I need to emphasize that I wasn't saying that Dazed and Confused is better than Fast Times at Ridgemont High I was just answering the question that I felt that D&C was the best teen movie since FTARH.

I think they're both excellent movies and both stand up admirably on their own merits. Two of my all time favourite movies of all time.

I loved Dazed and Confused too. They had the same casting director for Dazed and Confused and FTARH. He looks like a burnout to me! I loved Wooderson in Dazed- I'm just gonna keep on livin- L-I-V-I-N! McConahey (sp.?) was the perfect creepy older guy!
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess Animal House is not a teen movie persay, but it is pretty much the model for most of them that came afterward. Personally it's one of my favorites and never gets old.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HAving caught bits of FTARH over the years, I finally got to see it all - from start to finish - last week. So now I feel qualified to comment on this thread........

I didn't really like it. [Eek!]

And so whilst I wait for the flames to begin, let me say why. Characters were OK - a little stereotyped maybe, but OK. The soundtrack was great. But here's my problem..... what was the story? There appeared to be nothing actually going on, apart from 'here's a few months in the life of a school'. Nothing really happened to constitute a plot, or a story, or much of anything at all. If anything, it played like a 90 minute long soap that took the characters not from A to B, but from A back round to A, via C (which was a place where nothing really happened). And there were no characters you could actually love, or actually hate. Sure some kids got laid, one got knocked up, and others got high, but that's nowhere near enough for a plot......

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul...you needed to watch it about 20 years ago...allthough my neighbor who is 19 just watched it with me, and she loved it. It's just about the teenage stuff we all went through and could relate to. I thought the characters seemed like people I grew up with, and went to school with. That's why I liked it. Plus they had the same school colors as my high school. [Wink]

What's the story line in any other teen movie? Isn't life a story line? I think that's really what most movies are about, even just watching Crash, it was about racism...but it was just people's lives been connected together...that's the kind of stuff I like, is just regular real life type stuff that is believable.

I love movies where I love the cast of people, and that's the appeal to me of Fast Times...Jennifer Jason Leigh, Phoebe Cates, Sean Penn, Judge Reinhold, Eric Stoltz, Nick Cage, Robert Romanus, and Ray Walston- they were awesome actors in it...it is so cool when you get a cast of that many cool people in 1 movie, I love that.

The soundtrack is one of the best..I am glad you liked that.

Watch it again...it might grow on you.

I miss the whole "hanging at the Mall" thing...we use to have a Mister Pizza at a mall, and we use to hang there after we went to the matinees, and I loved that...I love that "Ron" takes "Stacey" to the "Point" on a date, which is a dugout...that's what we all did in high school too, we all went parking in the high school parking lot. Haha.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kids still hang out at the mall, but not grown-ups....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

thats what I was thinking too
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's exactly my point, I miss being a kid.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenkobra
Master Rewinder
Member # 892

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kenkobra   Email kenkobra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
Is it true that they are re-making REVENGE OF THE NERDS, ROCK & ROLL HIGH SCHOOL and PORKYS???

Damn them! Damn them all to Hell!

Any updates on these movies being remade?
Posts: 224 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home