iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Star 80

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star 80
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rented this movie from Netflix and watched it yesterday afternoon. Wow, this was quite a movie. Have any of you seen it? I had never heard about Dorothy Stratten until I saw this movie and then I was shocked to find out that it was a true story. Mariel Hemingway played Dorothy and Eric Roberts played her husband. They both did an exceptional job. She portrayed Dorothy in such a likable way. And Eric, well, he couldn't have been more creepy if he tried [Eek!] ! I could hardly look at him. It was a good movie in the sense that once it started, it held your attention but by the time it was over, I felt disturbed. What an awful shame. What did you guys think?
 -

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a disturbing flick. It just goes to show you what fame does to some people. She was just a smal town canadian girl who came to Hollywood. I saw an A&E biography on her once, and Hugh Hefner talked about her. She was so young when she died so tragically, it's such a shame.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cindi, who played Peter Bogdanovich? Or did they even include him in the story?
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy- I just was thinking about this movie yesterday, and almost posted again about it. I have posted about it before. It is a really good movie, and it doesn't get talked about alot.

I can't remember them saying the guy she liked who was her director...was Peter Bogdanovich...I don't even think that was the name they gave the guy in the movie. But, they did hook her up with a guy to make it based on the facts...I'd have to look his name up, I have seen him in other movies, he has black hair, and looks french...that's who she was with at the end when she left Eric Roberts.

In real life Peter Bogdonavich took in her kid sister, to live with him after Dorothy was murdered....they had a long term relationship. I don't think they are still together, but she was a teenager when he took her in, so I always thought that was very weird.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that LB Stratten and Peter Bogdoavich have gotten divorced. They were married in 1988 and separated in 2000.

This whole story surrounding Dorothy Stratten is extremely disturbing. She was a very pretty girl with a very sleazy guy. It is a shame that no one will ever realize what her whole potential could have been.

There was also another story that was made about her but I cannot remember who was in it. I saw the E True Hollywood story on her life as well. It really did detail the craziness of her life.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBrayFan
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3831

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JimBrayFan   Author's Homepage   Email JimBrayFan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She had a bit part in Skatetown USA.
Posts: 90 | From: Long Island | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a TV movie starring Jamie Lee Curtis. I don't remember who played the lout boyfriend but I know Robert BRADY BUNCH Reed was the director she left the boyfriend for.

Both movies were pretty good. I'm guessing the TV one was called THE DOROTHY STRATTON STORY...but I'll have to check imdb to make sure.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called DEATH OF A CENTERFOLD: THE DOROTHY STRATTON STORY (TV movie starring Jamie Lee Curtis)
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Talk about an old HBO movie. I used to watch this when I wasn't allowed to when I was 10 I believe. I didn't think it was that great back then though.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Death of a Centerfold: The Dorothy Stratten Story (1981) yesterday.

It is a sad story but this tv-version was a bit too "lame".
I really want to see Star 80, Mariel Hemingway and Eric Roberts in the title roles.

Jamie Lee Curtis was cute and ok but Bruce Weitz wasn´t very convincing.
I like him as Belker in Hill Street Blues though.

The Playboy mansion scene was nice [Wink] and i liked the early 80s feel
but like i said, i need to get Star 80.

-

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aTomik.. I haven't seen "Star 80" in years, but I remember it being a very tragic and engaging flick. I think Cindy described it well with the word 'disturbing'..
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. "Star 80" is a favorite of mine, a somewhat forgotten film directed by the incomparable Bob Fosse. (Fosse was one of those guys who I always thought would have been cool to hang out with--very smart, funny, and talented--who had an incredible life, but left us way too soon.) Very, very few people saw the film in theatres, and its lack of commercial success coupled with its truly downbeat subject matter killed Eric and Mariel's Oscar chances, which was a real shame. The TV version is a travesty, like comparing bus station vending machine food to caviar. :-)

[ 25. September 2010, 00:33: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Star 80' is great. Roberts is genuinely sleazy and upsetting. Fosse never made a bad movie.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fosse was a genius!
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home