iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 80s soundtrack CDs on eBay warning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 80s soundtrack CDs on eBay warning
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A quick warning to anyone looking for 80s soundtrack CDs on eBay, the seller 2guapo4u has some tempting titles but I'd wager they're all bootlegs.
I bought the Explorers soundtrack CD off them and when it arrived it was sealed, but it was a sealed bootleg CD-R and not a proper pressed CD.
Shelled out $70 for it and now I'm ****ed off, currently in the process of trying to get my money back.

The seller's feedback is looking good but nobody is looking closely at the CDs they paid a lot of money for.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$70 for a CD-R? That's crazy, was there ever an actual cd release of the explorers soundtrack? This year I did cave in and buy a 2CD Sixteen candles soundtrack with dialogue snippets for $28. I knew it was a CD-R but I just had to have it. It has way more songs than the original five song soundtrack.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah complete rip-off, I didn't receive any reply from the seller so I've filed complaints with eBay and PayPal to try and get my money back and the seller stopped.

Whoever did the printing on the CD-R with their printer had the utter cheek to add in red "LIMITED EDITION NOT FOR SALE" on the disc.

There was an official release of the soundtrack on CD, released in Germany I think, like your bootleg the one I got had additional tracks and looking at them in an audio editing program it appears as though the main tracks were lifted directly off the original soundtrack CD and the rest off analogue tape and cleaned up (ok but not CD quality)

If I knew it was a bootleg I might have bid very low, but not nearly the amount I did because the listing never said anything about it not being an original, "new and sealed" doesn't appear to mean squat nowadays what with home shrink-wrapping tools...

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
Member # 533

I finally got a reply from the seller, they said they bought the CD from an online seller and has offered me a partial refund of $31 since I opened it (I paid $61+$9 shipping, it only cost them $4 to post).
Well how else would I have found out it was a flaming CD-R! the cheek, they're asking me to pay $39 for what they know to be a bootleg CD-R that was not advertised as such. No way, I'm going to fight this all the way.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a CD release on Varese Saraband. I bought it in the late 80's.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got bootlegs of Apollonia & Vanity 6, but they weren't too expensive. Plus I loved them instantly! [Big Grin]

(starts singing "Under The Influence")

Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wizard, that totally bites that they ripped you off that way. They had to know that anyone that was willing to pay $60 for a CD was a true fan and would be upset when they got a copy. You can find some really neat things on the internet, but Buyer Beware.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's too bad Wiz about this experience. Usually if it is a CD-R, they list multiple quantities below, and ususally have a buy it now with a fixed price. But it's snaky what they did to you. I just feel bad for people like us whose favorite movies soundtracks are long out of print, and we have to go this route. Film execs just don't do the research for demand for such items. I still can't even find the Wizard on DVD. Even with the fact that one of the stars Jenny Lewis is now a credible indie rock star in Rilo Kiley.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
It's too bad Wiz about this experience. Usually if it is a CD-R, they list multiple quantities below, and ususally have a buy it now with a fixed price. But it's snaky what they did to you. I just feel bad for people like us whose favorite movies soundtracks are long out of print, and we have to go this route. Film execs just don't do the research for demand for such items. I still can't even find the Wizard on DVD. Even with the fact that one of the stars Jenny Lewis is now a credible indie rock star in Rilo Kiley.

When I get my new job in the film industry next year, I'm gonna make sure all our fave 80's soundtracks get put on CD. Every single one of them!
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Mouse Avneger, I wish you the best in doing so. If only old soundtracks would get the special redux treatment, with all kinds of extras.
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
Thanks so very much for the encouragement, Riptide! I promise to do what I can! [Smile]
raygunxyz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1045

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raygunxyz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw earlier that the person who sold you the soundtrack is also many other "sealed" 80s soundtrack that are going for hight prices. But they have professional artwork, which makes them seem offical.
Posts: 84 | From: Bakersfield, Ca, USA | Registered: Aug 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
Member # 533

Yeah the artwork, the fact they're sealed and they hadn't listed multiple copies was what got me to bid, completely cheesed off about the whole situation, somehow I get this sinking feeling PayPal will side with the new seller even though I've been using PayPal & eBay for many years now and have generated a lot of revenue for them both.

Riptide, I have The Wizard on DVD, not a bootleg DVD-R but a proper pressed disc, the only drawback is the audio is dubbed in German [Big Grin]
So using the German DVD (only place it's ever been released on DVD) and my English VHS I combined the video from the DVD and the audio from the VHS to make my own English DVD, the picture quality isn't that great on the original DVD but it's miles better than VHS.
 -

The Wizard
Member # 533

Just got an email from PayPal, they're siding with me and will receive a refund by sending the CD back by trackable means, unfortunately this means shelling out about £6 postage but hey that means about £34 back so it's better than nothing.

Because of the ruling of this outcome I might let eBay know (again) the seller is selling bootleg CD-Rs, but this time I have the weight of PayPal apparently backing me on my claim.

The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
Well, to be honest, I doubt they'll stop putting bootlegs on EBay...
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Wizard, I'm so glad that you are getting you money back. It is totally bogus that someone can pass off a bootleg copy for an original.

[ 18. December 2005, 06:39: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
Except those kick-bum Vanity & Apollonia CDs I got.
The Wizard
Member # 533

Mouse Avenger, they can't stop all counterfeit items being listed but they have come under a lot of critisim over dealing with the subject, they don't actively police auctions which is a very bad thing IMHO, listings get pulled and users suspended only when other users report violations.
But then it's not really in eBay's best interests to heavily crack down on bootlegs, they make a lot of money on listing fees and final value fees...

Many many people are making an absolute fortune selling "import" (read: 100% bootleg) DVDs on eBay and they're not doing a thing about it even when reported because to them if the DVD looks real (barcode, usual DVD details on the back, and the age rating logo) they just presume it is real.
The sad thing about a lot of the bootlegs is the quality is dire, I can and have produced DVD copies of my laserdiscs that are so clean they look like proper DVDs, most of the bootlegs on sale look like VHS.

The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
Oh....now I see the bad side.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home