iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Real Classics!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Real Classics!
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about you guys but I always tgought of "Stand By Me" as one of the best coming of age films ever made. I know that no one expected that film to do as well as it did, but I just don't think that it ever recieved the attention it really deserves. I feel the same way about "The Karate Kid". That film always gets lumped into every other teen flick made in the 80s. We all know that it was more than that! I also think that "The Lost Boys" and "Goonies" are classics in their own right. It bugs me when people my age have never seen any of these movies until recently and slam them, calling them some of the worst films ever made. They think anything out of the 80s is not worth watching. But I say c'mon people, you can't compare movies made then to movies made now or movies made 30 yeras ago! Those were all different times, different eras, things were very different. Films reflect the society and time they were made in right? Doesn't that explain it somewhat? Anyway, I love those four movies and I haven't seen any films since the 80s that actually stuck with me somehow. What about you guys? Have any favorites that you feel don't get the recognition they rightfully deserve? What do you htink are real classics?
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of Ali's post:
quote:
I don't know about you guys, but I always thought of "Stand By Me" as one of the best coming-of-age films ever made. I know that no one expected that film to do as well as it did, but I just don't think that it ever recieved the attention it really deserves...

I agree with you that Stand By Me is one of the 80's...well, I wouldn't call it a "classic", but I would classify it as an "underrated gem".

I guess it's because it was made on a much lower budget than most mainstream movies of the time, and featured some promising young actors.

Also, I think that what suprised a lot of moviegoers was that the film was based on a Stephen King short story...and it WASN'T a horror movie like so many of his other adaptions.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bridgette Marie
Master Rewinder
Member # 88

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bridgette Marie   Email Bridgette Marie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, and several other films have been based on Stephen King's non-horror novels such as The Green Mile, The Shashank Redemption, and Hearts In Atlantis.
Posts: 228 | Registered: Nov 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
CheekiMunki
Rewinder
Member # 101

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for CheekiMunki   Email CheekiMunki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good Stephen King Made For TV Movie was The Stand. Had some notable actors...Gary Sinise was the main character, Corin Nemec of Parker Louis Can't Lose, Molly Ringwold, and my favorite Matt Frewer as Trashcan man! And then there was that "M-O-O-N" guy. And the funniest person in the movie was Rob Lowe. He was in that movie right after the sex tape scandel, so his character in this movie was a mute. Coincidence? I think not! LOL Rob Lowe also stared in Bad Influence with James Spader during this same time. Yeah, what were we talking about again?!!? =P
Posts: 31 | From: Tampa, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home