iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » I think we give John Hughes too much credit...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I think we give John Hughes too much credit...
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I get blowtorched, let me explain.

Most 80s fans think that not only did he write all his 80s movies, but directed them as well. I feel that this concept gives the shaft to the directors of the following movies. I feel that a director and their screenwriter should be on an even keel, but in Hughes' case, that wasn't always what happened. You have to feel sorry for the directors of the following movies...To be ignored outside of hardcore film fans must be pretty tough.

The following list contains movies that were only written by Hughes...Let's now give directing credit where credit is due.

-"Class Reunion" was directed by Michael Miller.

-"Mr. Mom" was directed by Stan Dragoti.

-"Nate & Hayes" was directed by Ferdinand Fairfax.

-"National Lampoon's Vacation" was directed by Harold Ramis.

-"National Lampoon's European Vacation" was directed by Amy Heckerling.

-"Pretty In Pink", "Some Kind Of Wonderful" and "The Great Outdoors" were all directed by Howard Deutch.

-"National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" was directed by Jeremiah S. Chechik.

Remember them, please. They are as much a part of those movies as Hughes was.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John John just because he didn't direct them all doesn't mean he was not an genius of the 80s teen film. I agree to give credit where it is due but he is still awesome!
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, was ready to get very cross when I saw the title of this post but totally agree that you have a point. However, I think the thing that makes John Hughes stand out is that he wrote so many films that not only appealed to teenagers but seemed to mirror exactly what they were going through. That's a big call for an adult. I think that so many of today's teen films are teen films with an adult message or just totally miss the mark. He wrote,essentially, adult films with a teen message. That's why I see him as so talented.
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noblprz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 999

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for noblprz   Email noblprz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you mean Teen Movies with an adult message.
Posts: 98 | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missie
MadonnaWannabee
Member # 2186

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Missie   Author's Homepage   Email Missie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'll give you that he didn't direct them all, but they originated in his brain...you can only direct what is written, not a blank paged script.

I totally acknowledge the directing talent of those others, don't get me wrong, but I still think the sun rises and sets in John Hughes' bum. After all, he created Jake Ryan. [Cool]

Missie

Posts: 432 | From: Burbank, CA | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said Missie!
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home