iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Same voice, different language???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Same voice, different language???
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

After reading the post on the sure thing, I asked myself a question, which I couldn't answer, but I know that you could.

In other countries, (Non English speaking), when you watch a movie, do you watch it in your native language or do you watch it in English with Subtitles? Or do you have a choice?

My question is that if you are watching it in a different language, does the actor (say Johnny Depp) have the same voice in every movie? That is if it's not his?

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in San Diego and my parents live in Tijuana, Mexico and sometimes I go to the movies down there and it all depends, I mean if it's a BIG movie or a Kids movie like The Fantastic Four or Harry Potter or Spiderman the have them Subtitled (in English w/Spanish subtitles) or dubbed in Spanish. Like for example they have right now Charlie and the Chocolate Factory only dubbed in Spanish. Sometimes there is a choice but not always. I'm bilingual (English and Spanish) but I prefer movies in English and no subtitles but if I go down to TJ for a movie I prefer it subtitled.
Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you own Pirates of the Caribbean, you can watch it dubbed in other languages (it's available on the DVD) and from the sounds of it, it's different people. I also watched a bit of Once Bitten dubbed in Spanish and it clearly was different people. I'm from America, though, so this is just coming from stuff I've learned from DVDs.

I think it all depends. I think in most cases, for movies and such, the dubbing is done by different people. In some cases, such as a show I used to watch that aired in the USA but was created in Canada, the dubbing is done by the original people, and probably because they know how to speak the language being dubbed (in this show's case, Canada is English/French, so the actors did the French dubbing).

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for giggles I once watched Beverly Hills Cop in Spanish and I thought it was hillarious to hear Eddie Murphy speaking Spanish.
They guy dubbing his voice was so enthusiatic about it and just acting his heart out. He had a deep loud voice that just didn't match.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Luke . . . Yo soy tu papa."
"!NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ?PORQUE YOOOOOO?"

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Lupa! The translations of the dialogues or the titles are hell.

I've seen many titles of movies translated in Spanish that are horrible.

Duets they translated as "La Rubia de Acero" which means the Blond of Steel when Duets means Dueto.

Monter-in Law they translated as "Si te Casas te Mato" which means If you get Married, I'll kill You"

Pretty in Pink was "La Chica de Rosa" which means The Girl in Pink, PIP means Bella en Rosa.

The Breakfast Club I've seen it as "El Club de los Cinco and as El Club Estudiantil" which means The club of the Five and as The Student Club" The literal meaning of TBC is El Club del Desayuno.

I can go on an on an some titles are cheesy, horrible and dumb.

Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
Ha! Thanks for letting us know. Translations are always fun, especially wrong ones.
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Germany, unfortunately most movies are dubbed. But there usually are some theaters which show the movies in the original version, thank God!! Actually I have to say that they do a pretty good job on dubbing, like choosing voices that are more or less similar to the actor's voice. And yes, the dubbing voice in German for one actor always remains the same in all movies. But there are some things you just simply can't translate 1 to 1, and it ends up being a slightly different dialogue from the original, which sucks.

As for titles, most just stay in English, but the translations are usually wrong. For example, "About Last Night" was called something like "Once more like last night".

Luckily with DVDs, you can just choose the original language.

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maniac
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3858

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for maniac   Author's Homepage   Email maniac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you who own the DVD and understand French, watch Some Kind of Wonderful in dubbed French, with the French subtitles. They don't match - at all!!

Paramount apparently lost the original French dubbing, and had to redo it for the DVD release, but kept the original subtitles.

For some unexplainable reason, Watts was renamed to Sharleen in the French redubbing.

Posts: 17 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
In Soanish the voices that are used when the movies are dubbed don't match either and are horrible high pitched voices!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home