iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Do you ever find yourself..... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Do you ever find yourself.....
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you ever find yourself blurting out 80s movie quotes while having a conversation with someone? Sometimes they get it and sometimes they dont.

For example, my sister and I were at a three year olds B-Day party. My niece who is also three was running for the cake. We knew she wanted to stick her fingers in it, so I yelled to my sister "Get her!"

She laughed and said "that was your plan? Get her?"

I cracked up cuz that was a line from Ghostbusters, but apparently nobody else there got the joke.

Anyway, I got tons of other quotes I use, an was jsut wondering if anyone else suffers from this same problem?

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the time at work. However, they know me, and so they just smile and then move on.

Mind you, I got very strange looks when I used the line 'You look good wearing my future' in a meeting...... [Confused] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh heh, no one gets my references. I was at the dentist getting my braces fixed and said, "We can rebuild her." I think she actually got it, though.

I should just call pizza "za" one of these days and see if anyone notices.

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ali, this is a great topic. I live my life by the quotes in 80's movies actually. That is why it is fun here, because most of the people on The Rewind get what I'm saying.

There is nothing funnier than watching the look on someone's face when you do a 80's movie quote and they totally don't have a clue about it. Luckily most of my friends are from the 80's, so they get most of what I'm saying....kinda.

However, the people at my work must think I'm stuck in a time warp though. Try telling your work buddies that "Valley Girl" is your favorite movie. The looks that day were priceless....

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not just 80's quotes, all kinds of quotes...

My faves at the moment seem to be Little Britain and Shaun of The Dead...

Noms [Cool]
 -

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I use some quotes that are from newer films as well. One that always makes me laugh but is kind of crude is one from "Not Another Teen Movie".

It's the scene where they are spoofing "The Breakfast Club". The Principal says something to one of the kids, the kid says something back and the principal says "Well cry me a river D**Kface"!

Anytime one of friends starts complainig about something too much, I tend to blurt it out. Sometimes it hurts their feelings, but if they've seen the movie, then they get it.

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's get this back on the *EIGHTIES* track (No offense, Val and Ali, but let's remember that this IS an *EIGHTIES* board [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz] ).

I always quote "The Wild Life" and say "It's Casual" whenever somebody apologizes to me or suggests something for us to do.

Whenever somebody mentions guns or cocaine, I always quote dialogue from "Scarface".

I'll often use the line "Go Ahead...Make My Day!" from "Sudden Impact" when I hear an annoying song and pretend to point a gun at the radio.

Sometimes I'll quote Mel Gibson's "Lethal Weapon" speech when he talks about what's preventing him from commiting suicide. I quote it because I can relate to it.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quote The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra quite a bit, which is a 2004 movie made to spoof 1950's monster flicks. Especially the "horrible mutilation" banter.

"Well I've never been horribly mutilated, but I don't want to start now thank you."

"I don't mind sitting sometimes."

"Yes, you'll find most Earth sharing works this way. In fact, it's really like I'm sharing, with myself!"

"Well, I guess in my time I've seen a bear do things that even a bear wouldn't do."

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do it constantly...probably ever day...and my mom and my Aunt-who was just here visiting are really the only people who actually "get me"(in the real world).

When my Aunt was here...she took a picture of me on her digital camera...and of course I hated it, so I said...delete it, and she said...no way dude, I need it to blackmail you with it...and I said give it to me...and she shoved it in her pocket...it was one of those tiny cameras about the size of a lighter...and I started jumping up and down...and I said...don't make me hurt you...and she said...bring it on, so I grabbed her, and held both her arms together...and she started yelling I was hurting her bad arm...but she lied...she just wanted to get away, but the whole thing made us laugh so hard...we couldn't breath...anyway she's telling people about the whole "incident" later...and said what a maniac I was...and she says.... "Leroy...give me those shoes!!! Give them to me!!! That's from the Bad Seed...and I just cracked up laughing...it was one of those...I guess you had to be there moments.

But...me and my mom quote Arthur all the time...we always say " Don't you hate Perry's wife...when we don't like something...and when we bump in to each other...we'll say..."awe...it's just a hedge". We think it is funny...nobody else would get it.

I always say..."Don't you wish you were me...I know I do." from Arthur.

I always say "I know you are, but what am I?" from Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Spiccoli's line "Don't hassle it" alot and I've said "Aces" like Samantha in Sixteen Candles on more than one occassion. I know there's more. I need to think about this. But I agree with you guys, most people don't get it. It doesn't stop me though. I live for quotes.
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, when someone makes me mad or ****es me off I say, "You know, you're really acting like...an a**hole" just like Ginny in Sixteen Candles.
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
I always here guys trying to pull off a terrible accent while saying "Say hello to my little friend!"

I also here guys quoting the Godfather movies alot.

I always have a habit of saying things from Goodfellas. There are so many good lines in that one.

If I tell a joke to somebody and they laugh I like to say "Am I here to amuse you?"

I can hear Joe Pesci saying that as I write this. [Big Grin]

Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah im glad to see Im not alone....people invariably dont get it and look at me like a freak...although when someone does get the quote...especially if its obscure....you know youve met a kindred high spirit [Smile]
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find myself saying 80's quotes often, even when I don't realise it, it's only when younger people give me perplexed looks as to what exactly I'm talking about. The one I use most is when someone is asking me what I'm doing, I say I'm going crazy, wanna come? It's from a scene in the move that was then... this is now. I also use some Spicolli too, like I went into this convenience store, and my friend was working there, and I said in this fake stoner voice, "hey, I know you, you used to work at All American burger right"? God, Sixteen Candles and Fast Times are just so quotable aren't they?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me see if I can think of some more *EIGHTIES* quotes I often use (being as that is supposedly the purpose of this thread [Wink] [Razz] )...

When you push carts outside all day, you need to do something to keep yourself entertained all day, so I string together various *EIGHTIES* quotes. I'll often use:

-Mel Gibson's suicide negotiator speech
from "Lethal Weapon"

-Eddie Murphy's exchange with the second team cops about the banana in the tailpie from "Beverly Hills Cop"

-The Eddie Murphy/Gilbert Gottfried bribery exchange from "Beverly Hills Cop 2"

-The "106 miles to Chicago" speech from "The Blues Brothers"

-The "I don't condone fascism" speech from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"

-Lyrics from "Little Shop Of Horrors", especially
the "Dentist" song

There are plenty more that don't come to mind at the moment, but I use them.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Well since I started this thread I really don't care if quotes from newer movies are added. This is a friendly forum with people I like to talk too, and if the content tends to stray from *EIGHTIES* now and then thats ok.

Don't get all bent out of shape and correct people because frankly I find it rude.

Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
I'm tempted to use non-80's quotes just to spite him now.

"But why's the rum gone?"

rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
I was only going by the fact that you didn't say anything about modern quotes in your first post. You should've specified it beforehand. Sorry for following your first post to the letter.

Let me guess...You're going to call me "the Gestapo" again, right?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Do yourself a favor and get a life.
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Obscurus Lupa:
I'm tempted to use non-80's quotes just to spite him now.

"But why's the rum gone?"

Christ, what's wrong with following the outline? Ali did say the following:

"Do you ever find yourself blurting out 80s movie quotes while having a conversation with someone?"

Nowhere did I see anything in there about modern quotes.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Ali_with_an_i:
Do yourself a favor and get a life.

I don't have one. Work and the Internet is all I have. I was just going by your first post. How come it's okay for all of you to go off-topic, but I get strung by the hands trying to keep on-topic?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Who gave you the right to monitor our posts? Last I heard Devo, Paul and Nick were the only moderators here.
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
I think what Ali means is . . . It's a given that unless she says "NO NON-80's QUOTES PLEASE," it's a given that straying to quotes that are non-80's is perfectly acceptable and, in fact, not wrong. Unless someone has a problem with the non-80's quotes (that someone being Ali or a mod), then I don't see what the big deal is. Just don't take it so seriously. [Wink]
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
It's all part of my 80s Avenger routine...I created that alter-alter-ego because I noticed back when this was only an 80s message board that many 90s topics were being bought in.

I was wrong to do this. I'm sorry.

As you'll testify, I've been acting like a jackass in the thread about quoting 80s movies.

I'm not using this as an excuse, but I've been too exacting over the years in trying to follow the rules. This is a self-inflicted problem. I've always believed that everything should be in a certain category or a certain section. I often believe that when a person writes certain words in a post that those phrasings are the set-up for the direction.

I've gone after quite a few people for what I feel is going off-topic, so if you read this, ali, then please believe me when I say you're not the only one I've gone after.

I was instilled from a young age to always follow the rules. I obviously didn't display that decorum in the movie quotes thread. I just don't know when to quit or shut up. I just thought I was trying to be funny, considering that many people here are familiar with my routine. Had I known you would be this angry, I wouldn't have done it.

I can't promise I won't stop this jackass behavior, but I do want you and Obscurus to know that I am sorry.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Obscurus Lupa:
I think what Ali means is . . . It's a given that unless she says "NO NON-80's QUOTES PLEASE," it's a given that straying to quotes that are non-80's is perfectly acceptable and, in fact, not wrong. Unless someone has a problem with the non-80's quotes (that someone being Ali or a mod), then I don't see what the big deal is. Just don't take it so seriously. [Wink]

I thought it was all implied that the order of the day was 80s quotes. I guess I thought the idea would've been picked up on. Once again I was wrong and once again I'm sorry.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home