iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Best Surf Movie Of The 80's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Surf Movie Of The 80's
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished watching "North Shore" and while the premise of a dude winning a wavepool surf contest then going to Hawaii to surf pipe is far fetched, you have to give the movie props for effort. John Philbin was no Barney with his cool surf lingo. Loved the camera work and music as well. Then the added touch of real surfers headed by the great Laird Hamilton gave the movie surf creed. Apparently, North Shore has an alternate ending which is supposedly on the DVD. I'd like to know what that ending was if anyone owns it. Also, I've read in a couple of places that Nia Peeples had to replace the first actress that played Kiani.

What is your favorite surf movie of the 80's?

Stay loose, haole [Cool]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raygunxyz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1045

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raygunxyz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course I would have to say SURF II:The End of the Trilogy. It is a cheesy, campy, goofball, comedy, which seems like a mix between Porky's, Top Secret, and throw is some like hearted zombie. It also has one the best soundtrack, but sadly no soundtrack. check out the site www.geocities.com/surfiimovie for more information.
Posts: 84 | From: Bakersfield, Ca, USA | Registered: Aug 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Valley, I thought Surf Nazis Must Die was the the best surf movie of the '80s. [Smile]
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNUC
Master Rewinder
Member # 3594

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TNUC   Author's Homepage   Email TNUC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
North Shore + Surf Nazis Must Die are damn good...but...

POINT BREAK is phenomenal, even though its 90s. Just look at the names in this movie...Johnny Utah, Bodhi, Grommet, Roach, Nathaniel, Rosie, War Child, Bunker......so good!!!!

Also check out "Big Wednesday" with Gary Busey, I believe its from the late 70s.

Posts: 193 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tim, Point Break was a cool movie as well. Enjoyed the skydiving scenery.

Neat trivia: John Philbin was in North Shore & Point Break.

Surfing Is The Source.

Look at it! It's a once in a lifetime opportunity, man! Let me go out there and let me get one wave, just one wave before you take me in. I mean, come on man, where I am I gonna go? Cliffs on both sides! I'm not gonna paddle my way to New Zealand! Come on, compadre. Come on!!!

Vaya Con Dios

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Back to the beach.

The Humonga Cowabunga From Down Unda

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Cappello:
POINT BREAK is phenomenal, even though its 90s. Just look at the names in this movie...Johnny Utah, Bodhi, Grommet, Roach, Nathaniel, Rosie, War Child, Bunker......so good!!!!

Also check out "Big Wednesday" with Gary Busey, I believe its from the late 70s.

Okay, you like "Big Wednesday" and "Point Break"...

Now what do you think is the best surf movie of the *EIGHTIES*? After all, that's the topic's title! [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNUC
Master Rewinder
Member # 3594

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TNUC   Author's Homepage   Email TNUC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my answer to that is that there are too many good surf movies not in the 80s....so i couldnt keep my mouth shut!

point break is so 80s, gnarliest flick ever, so its close enough in my book.

Posts: 193 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley asked:
quote:
What is your favorite surf movie of the 80's?
The only surfing-related scene that I saw in the 80's were the opening credits sequence in "Top Secret!", with Val Kilmer.

Gee, how many surf movies were made during the 80's?

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Steven, here are a few from the 80's:

Aloha Summer (1988)
Back to the Beach (1987)
Coolangatta Gold, The (1984)
Gidget's Summer Reunion (1985)
North Shore (1987)
Surf II (1984)
Surf Nazis Must Die (1987)
Under The Boardwalk (1989)
Windrider (1986)

Had A little Surf talk:

Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982)
Top Secret (1984)
Teen Wolf (1985)

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Hey Bud Let's Party!

Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was waiting for Hey Bud, Let's Party! to arise.
Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lastdaysofrain
Master Rewinder
Member # 2542

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lastdaysofrain   Author's Homepage   Email Lastdaysofrain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked "Under the Boardwalk" for some reason. But I think "Back to the Beach" has got to be the winner.
Posts: 125 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Back To The Beach. Someone please send me a cherry bomb to put into a cig and toss into the womens bathroom toilet!! If you cant find a cherry bomb to send, a cig would be cool too!

Would 'Hardbodies' qualify as a surfing movie too? Or more of a 'Spring Break' genre?

Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home