iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Dark Crystal fans anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dark Crystal fans anyone?
Dodger
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 4051

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Dodger   Email Dodger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great 1982 fantasy epic from Jim Henson and Frank Oz that is one of my obessions ever since i was a kid and was one of those movies i grew up in the 80's with " Last Unicorn", "Secret of NIMH", " Wizard of Oz", " Batman", "Ghostbusters" and " Indiana Jones Trilogy", all movies that i watched again and again and still do love them ( I have them on DVD).

It's a unique movie that no one has seen like it before! highly recommended.

Posts: 17 | From: Socorro, New Mexico. | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raggedyman
Master Rewinder
Member # 4065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raggedyman   Email raggedyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE DARK CRYSTAL... in a word: BEAUTIFUL. even the memories I have of the film's release are great; it was one of the few movies that BOTH my parents took me to the cinema to watch. and I remember one Saturday morning, some of the Jim Henson crew were on 'TISWAS' with one of the Mystics! I have the 'limited edition' 2-disc soundtrack by Trevor Jones, the trading card set, the new special edition dvd, the fantastic book 'World of The Dark Crystal' by Brian Froud and even the two-part MARVEL COMICS Adaptation. BUT! I can never decide which I love more - this or LABYRINTH! now Dodger, when you list those 80's movies, do you refer to the original 'WIZARD OF OZ' or 'RETURN TO OZ'? personally I can't stand the original! RETURN had a much darker approach that I liked.
Posts: 241 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always liked The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, when I saw some documentary about TDC it saddened me to learn that despite all the work Jim Henson put into the film - creating a complete puppet world without a single human being and a good story to go along with it, it didn't get a good return on reviews and box office sales. Maybe he should've done LOTR with puppets [Wink]
Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernKat
Senior Rewinder
Member # 3239

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for SouthernKat   Author's Homepage   Email SouthernKat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Another subject here on the Rewind that hits a nerve. This time it is because I have vivid memories of taking my little sister to see "Dark Crystal" when it first came out. And my little sister just got married for the second time on the weekend of the 16th. We both were enthralled by the movie when we originally saw it. Alicia (my little sister) bought a special VHS copy of it so that she could share it with her daughter. As I remember, this movie never got the credit it deserved for the beautiful animation and the original story. The "muppets" never looked so good!
SouthernKat

Posts: 51 | From: Altamonte Springs Florida | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna Sullivan
Master Rewinder
Member # 4010

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Anna Sullivan   Email Anna Sullivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I remember is that it gave my big sister the creeps and so I was advised against watching it. It sounds like a kind of Labrynth-esque adventure. Would this be an accurate description? BTW, whatever happened to those mystical adventure movies for kids like Labrynth, The Neverending Story, Willow, The Goonies. Is it simply because I don't have kids that I'm not privvy to what's currently available or have they just stopped making them?
Posts: 232 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dodger
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 4051

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Dodger   Email Dodger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well see this movie Anna, you don't know what your missing! it's one of those amazing movies no one would ever make again, and those fantasy adventures for kids you should add would be Princess Bride as well, now that's an excellent fantasy adventure.
Posts: 17 | From: Socorro, New Mexico. | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG! I loved this movie. Actually - that is a lie. I never saw the movie until much later but I had the most beautiful hand illustrated book that they eventually used as a basis for the movie and it is still one of my most treasured possessions! I love this story - it is beautiful but I remember the book far more than the movie. Gee - how many people can say that these days!?
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lastdaysofrain
Master Rewinder
Member # 2542

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lastdaysofrain   Author's Homepage   Email Lastdaysofrain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terrifying film, this still scares me today, I was deeply traumatized by this flick seeing it in theaters as a kid.
Posts: 125 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dodger
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 4051

Rate Member
There's going to be a sequel to it! coming out in early 2007 with production and shooting starting this fall.
raggedyman
Master Rewinder
Member # 4065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raggedyman   Email raggedyman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure a sequel is a good idea - The Dark Crystal was a classic of it's time and another movie will not be able to retain the charm of the original...
Posts: 241 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that a confirmed sequel or just a rumor at this stage? And if the former is the case, will Henson's Creature Shop be participating again?
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dodger
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 4051

Rate Member
Hey Raggedyman, have you seen The Last Unicorn and Secret of NIMH?
piratemoviefan12
Master Rewinder
Member # 2715

- posted      Profile for piratemoviefan12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Fulmer:
Is that a confirmed sequel or just a rumor at this stage? And if the former is the case, will Henson's Creature Shop be participating again?

Created a thread last week with a link to the article:

http://www.fast-rewind.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=006525

Posts: 133 | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna Sullivan
Master Rewinder
Member # 4010

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Anna Sullivan   Email Anna Sullivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dodger:
Well see this movie Anna, you don't know what your missing! it's one of those amazing movies no one would ever make again, and those fantasy adventures for kids you should add would be Princess Bride as well, now that's an excellent fantasy adventure.

I've seen the Princess Bride dodger. I loved it.
"Hello, my name is Enigo Montoya, you killed my father...prepare to die!" I'm yet to meet someone who didn't like it.

Anna x

Posts: 232 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raggedyman
Master Rewinder
Member # 4065

Member Rated:
to answer Dodger (finally!) I LOVE THE SECRET OF NIMH! never got to see LAST UNICORN. anyhoo, here is a little update on the DARK CRYSTAL sequel: it is indeed in pre-production for a possible 2006 / 07 release. I personally reckon that a sequel is not a good idea, however it seems that Lisa (Daughter of Jim) Henson, co-CEO of the Henson Company told the UK mag SFX that "THE POWER OF THE DARK CRYSTAL" will NOT feature CGI characters of any kind but good ol' puppets and animatronics. the only plot details given were that Jen and Kira are now the elderly rulers of the land and the heroics will be left to some new characters (of a new species also). supposedly, the Skeksis, the Garthim and Aughra will return as well. I have also discovered that comics company TOKYOPOP (a US Manga colloaborative team) is set to produce a couple of graphic novels - one is a prequel to THE DARK CRYSTAL and the other sees a 13 Year-old boy called Toby return to a certain LABYRINTH. famed writer Neil Gaiman is penning the stories due for release in late 2006....
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about another Emmett Otter Christmas story while we're at it too? See if things are really as happy nowadays along the river as Kermit claimed (and if they do, maybe they'll do what it takes to get the ABSOLUTELY UNEDITED version of the original on DVD rather that the chopped-up one we have to live with now).
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strawberry_Shortcake
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 513

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Strawberry_Shortcake   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its awesome to see people mentioning the secret of NIMH, thats an excellent movie i ended up getting it on dvd
Posts: 15 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Dec 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home