iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Movie of the day--Stand By Me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie of the day--Stand By Me
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this is one that I just recently got on DVD, I missed whatever this deluxe edition is but hey that is okay. I will live...

Anyway one of the best coming of age stories ever in my opinion. It is the 1950's and 4 best friends get together in search of a boy from their small town that has gone missing. It is a journey of self discovery as each of the boys learns something new about themselves on their trip.

Starring the late great River Phoenix, Wil Wheaton, Corey Feldman (probablly his best dramatic performance), and Jerry Connelly. Also starring Kiefer Sutherland, Casey Siemasko, and Richard Dreyfuss as "The Narrator". I just can't say enough good things about this movie. It is one of those that pulls off being dramatic and comedic all at the same time. Not many films can successfully do that, the only other ones that come to mind right off are Steel Magnolias and Terms of Endearment!!

I remember getting to see this movie at the movie theater when I was like 12. I was nervous because it was rated R, I think, and I sat there holding my ticket in case someone came in and said "what are you doing in this movie", well it never happened and I got my first experience with this film.

What do you all think about this teen drama from 1986?

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairytayle_17
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4041

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for fairytayle_17   Email fairytayle_17   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh i love this movie soooo much, it has to be one of my all time favourites!!! i love these four boys but the star of the show had to be river phoenix, and it has to be said kiefer sutherland was brilliant as the part of ace!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 58 | From: Isle of Wight, England | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"

Poetic.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually the kid Ray Brower wasn't from Castle Rock like the 4 boys were.

This is one awesome movie and "The Body" the novella by Stephen king was just as good if not better.

Keifer Sutherland who I hear is one of the nicest guys there is sure knows how to play a bad boy very convincingly.

Two For Flinching

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna Sullivan
Master Rewinder
Member # 4010

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Anna Sullivan   Email Anna Sullivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. One of my all time favourites. I had such a crush on Wil Wheaton those days. After we saw it, my friends and I used to light fires in our back yard and sneak cigarettes....hmmm, probably wasn't a good influence in that respect. Anyway, loved it. Soundtrack rocks too.
Posts: 232 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say that Wil Wheaton was so SKINNY in this flick. ANd Jerry O'Connell was so chubby, he looks nothing like that today.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairytayle_17
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4041

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for fairytayle_17   Email fairytayle_17   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i recently watched scream 2 and it was only after id finished watching it that i realised jerry o'connell was in it!!! he's changed so much!!
Posts: 58 | From: Isle of Wight, England | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved it! I like the eating contest where that fat kid pukes all over the other contestant. The man that gets puked on is Dic* Durrock who played Swamp Thing in both movies and the series.
I did a lot of camping out with my friends in Jr High School and the early High School years and this movie reminds me of those campouts. Some of the discussions like...what is Goofy and If I could only have one food it would be cherry Pez... were similar to the discussions we would have. I remember taking about our favorite tv shows, movies, the best James Bond movie, comic books, bands, songs and girls. Those were some of the best times sitting around the campfires smoking cigars, drinking beer and talking. Good harmless fun! And that quote about never having any friends later on like you did when you were 12 is so dead on. I will never forget those guys.
How many of you still keep in contact with the friends of your youth?
I don't. I know where they all are and what the do for a living, but I haven't spoken to them in years. One's an FBI agent in Houston, one's a sculpter who has an art studio in New Orleans, one's a computer programmer in Seattle and one sells cars somewhere in Louisiana. I miss them and some day it would be cool if we could all get together and go on one more camping trip together.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raqlobster
Rewinder
Member # 3296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raqlobster   Email raqlobster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stand By Me is one of the best films I've evuh seen [Smile] I don't mind watching it over & over.
Posts: 37 | From: Philippines | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home