iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Mama's Family

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mama's Family
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone remember this 80s tv show starring Vicki Lawrence and Ken Berry? Thank God they still show reruns of it here. I wish it would get a dvd release...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry dude but I felt my IQ being sucked out of my brain from watching that show. Mama was a pretty funny character but the show just didn't deliver.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The show was pretty awful in comparison to those hilarious skits on the Carol Burnett Show.

I read her book about growing up poor and wanting to be in theater...she lived in a rooming house with her grandmother because both of her parents were drunks...the mother actually lived in the same building, but had her own room...she had wanted to be in Hollywood but eked out a living writing for trashy movie magazines because she couldn't cut it in movies. The grandmother & mother had a very combative love/hate relationship...drinking & fighting took place all the time. Carol's father subsequently died as a drunk when she was in her teens and the mother went the same when just about the time Carol's career was getting off the ground on TV in the '50s.

Once I read the book, I saw the Eunice & Mama relationship skits very differently...there was a lot of pathos because Eunice wanted to be famous and Mama would always bring her down.

Of course, Mama's Family was done strictly for laughs and not very well.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lowrider
Rewind Curious
Member # 3863

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for lowrider   Author's Homepage   Email lowrider   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that show was awesome
Posts: 7 | From: pittsburgh | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeremyK
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3975

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for JeremyK   Email JeremyK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i liked that show.
Posts: 11 | From: los angeles, ca | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i never really liked the show enough to be a faithful watcher, but the times i did catch it, MAMA was hilarious.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home