iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I was searching through Yahoo Movies the other day to see what was coming soon and watch the previews when I saw the trailer for the new movie "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy." I'd heard about the mini-series and book awhile back, but didn't know what it was about--the the trailer looked very good.

So I was at the mall today and saw the series for sale at Barnes and Noble, (the DVD set, not the book) so I bought it and watched it tonight.

I thought it was excellent! Although at times it dragged on, I thought, when they went into sequences from the Guide. Out of all the things in the series, the guide book was what I liked the least. Overall, it had likeable characters and fun, hokey makeup that made you feel like they were having a good time making the series rather than trying to be serious with it (I mean, I guess the series wasn't supposed to be serious, but y'know.). The manically depressed robot was the funniest thing; I loved it.

I watched the trailer again, and since I'd seen the mini-series, it actually didn't seem as good. I did like that it had better music (At least in the trailer--I didn't really care for the music in the mini-series.), although it had more of a modern-day feel to it as far as some of the humor was concerned. For example, they had Ford talking to what can be assumed is a giant lady with hairy legs, which is either a joke about sex or about his mother. I'm not sure Ford's character seems as likeable in the movie, either (Maybe I'm just a tad taken back by the color change--Or maybe I missed the spiffy striped jacket.).

So what do you guys think? Do you like the mini-series? Do you think the movie looks good or sounds like a good idea?

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if I'm going to see the new movie or not. The books were great and the movi might ruin it for me. I've never seen the mini-series, but I would play the text adventure game on my Commodore-64 back in the '80s. that was cool.
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I own the book and I want to see this movie. I doubt it will stand up to the book, unless it goes into long serieses of DA's wonderful narration ... The way the characters reacted to each other, the situations they were in, they weren't as funny as the way DA delivered them. Seeing a whale fall out of the sky is not half as funny as hearing DA describe it.

This may be the English major in me talking, though.

Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home