iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Ossie Davis dead at 87

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ossie Davis dead at 87
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was found dead in his hotel room. He was on location somewhere shooting a movie. He and his wife, Ruby Dee, starred together in several film and stage productions. He will be missed by all in the film community.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jess, you sure are the bearer of bad news lately.

ahem, pardon me, may i ask who ossie davis is?? [Confused]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was in Grumpy Old Men, he was their friend that died. He was in School Daze and Do the Right Thing. He was also in Roots: The next generation and Malcolm X in 1982. If you go to imdb.com and see his face I bet that you will recognize him.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
He was in Grumpy Old Men, he was their friend that died. He was in School Daze and Do the Right Thing. He was also in Roots: The next generation and Malcolm X in 1982. If you go to imdb.com and see his face I bet that you will recognize him.
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It says he was found dead in a Miami Beach hotel room by a relative. Another great talent lost. He was also the guy in Bubba Hotep (starring Bruce Campbell) who thought he was Lyndon Johnson. He was the one in the movie who found Egyptian hieroglyphics on a ****house wall...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm wrong. He mentioned Lyndon Johnson. I think he thought he was JFK. He became friends with "Elvis" in the movie in an effort to destroy the mummy who was romaing the halls of the ol folk's home. Long story folks...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

If you have ever seen that crappy movie Gladiators with Cuba Gooding Jr., Ossie Davis was the corner man of the main character of that crappy movie.

His Bubba HoTep and Do the Right Thing parts were probably better. Not a tough decision.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...Bubba Ho Tep he was JFK not Lyndon Johnson.

Wow, thats so sad.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the TV show, "Extra", here is a news item from their website:

OSSIE DAVIS, 1917-2005
February 4, 2005

Ossie Davis, whose career spanned 55 years, passed away Friday in Miami. He was one of the world's most distinguished actors, known for his roles dealing with racial injustice on screen and stage.

To younger audiences, Davis was best known as one of Spike Lee's favorite actors. He appeared in three of Lee's films, including a pivotal role alongside real-life wife Ruby Dee in "Do the Right Thing."

And theirs was one of Hollywood's greatest love stories. Married for 57 years, the acclaimed actors shared billing in 11 stage productions and five movies. Just last year the couples received the Kennedy Center honors.

Ossie was no stranger to Washington; off-screen he was a passionate social activist, marching with the late Dr. Martin Luther King and delivering the eulogy at both King's and Malcolm X's funerals.

Ossie's friend and co-star Burt Reynolds paid tribute with a poignant goodbye today, saying, "I've been trying to keep the tears out of my eyes all day. If God had a voice -- and I think right now He's negotiating with Ossie to get his -- it would be Ossie Davis. He was the most gentle man I've ever known in my life."

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home