iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Breakfast Club extra scenes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Breakfast Club extra scenes
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Breakfast Club is on TBS today and I noticed there was an extra scene where the principal is trying to get something out of a vending machine and he's yelling at it and they show Ally Sheedy's character just standing there watching him...and Molly Ringwald says "She's nuts, but she's cool." What the hell is that? How come this is not on the DVD?? Anybody know if there are other scenes? I just caught it from that part on...
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Cindy, you're right. The extra scenes were cut from the final cinema release, but were included in the US TV version. There were three scenes, the two you mention, and a third where John Bender is collecting some money.

Many countries had a specially edited TV version (Australia had one that deleted a lot of the swearing - so that would have left Bender saying not much!!) but as far as I know the only one that put stuff BACK was the US. If anyone knowshow we over here in the UK can get to see these scenes, please let me know - we miss so much!

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bridgette Marie
Master Rewinder
Member # 88

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bridgette Marie   Email Bridgette Marie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Cindy,

I've seen the scene that you're talking about also, but only on t.v., not on the DVD. I guess maybe they figured it was too little of a scene to be included on the DVD, however I think they should have left it in because it showed more of Claire's true character of how she thought that Ally Sheedy was not a freak but actually cool and that she admired her.

Posts: 228 | Registered: Nov 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back when cut scenes weren't purposely asked for by studios so the DVD can have lots of extras (hehe), often times there are scenes put back in to add to the running time for television.

But, Cindy, you thought that was weird. You should see the original TBC script. Bender has a brief confrontation with his much mentioned dad in the parking lot before detention; a scene where all, not just Bender, describe what their home life is like; and Vernon following a cute female teacher around the building! Then a totally unbelievable moment at the end where he reads Brian's essay and says (smiling) "Maybe those kids weren't so bad after all". No way! He hated them! Glad Hughes cut that out.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey McFly,

Woah, how did you know about all that extra stuff? Did you have a copy of the original script? Although I'd like to have seen the confrontation between Bender and his dad, I think the rest was better left out. I also agree with Bridgette Marie's point of how if they left that line in where Molly admits she thinks Ally's character is cool, it would have given her more depth and further supported their bonding session at the end during Ally's make-over.

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly, CM, I collect scripts from my favorite flicks. And there's a ton of extra stuff in the original. John Hughes even writes the wrong name for Claire at one point.

The Bender and his dad thing is brief, but would've been cool. I'd have to dig it out of the closet, but it went something like Bender's dad cussed something at him and Bender throws his boot at the car driving away and yells "Up your a**!".

I'd have to check about the Ringwald line about Sheedy's character. I'll take awhile somethime, cuz its about 140 pages long! Even Braveheart was only 120 pages! Hehe!

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
TresFoxy
Rewind Maestro
Member # 542

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TresFoxy   Email TresFoxy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow,
I thought that I was crazy and was just making those things up when I watched these movies!! I had taped TBC off TV and then once I got more money I bought the tape (without the comercials) I thought that I had just made up those scenes. So I am assuming that The Goonies has other scenes on TV than it does on VHS? Because there are several scenes that I don't rember being on my tape when I saw it last. Possibly on Teen Wolf as well?!

Posts: 808 | From: MI, USA | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
raygunxyz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1045

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for raygunxyz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey
I have a 4 page article about The Breakfast Club (in GQ I think). And it talk about the making of it and what was edited, and John Hughes has a 3 hour cut of that movie, OH PLEASE release that Universal. Way are JOHN HUGHES movies getting such bad DVD releases.
Eric

Posts: 84 | From: Bakersfield, Ca, USA | Registered: Aug 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
Good question, Ray. Hughes made a ton of money for Universal, Warner Bros., and Paramount in the 80s (not to mention a gazillion for 20th Century Fox in the 90s with "Home Alone"), you'd figure they'd have more respect for him. At least Ferris got a fair treatment.

Yes, the Goonies DVD is loaded with lots of extra stuff that was cut.

Blake
Ace Rewinder
Member # 75

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McFly where did you get the script from because i would like to get a copy myself
Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
Blake, www.scriptcity.com has a TBC one for 14.99 plus shipping. But doesn't denote whether it's the full-length version or not.

If all else fails I'd be glad to copy mine and send it off to you.

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if it's the latest, but I have a Word doc of the script. If anyone wants it, drop me a line (use the icons above)

Paul

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake
Ace Rewinder
Member # 75

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanx a lot i will check out the site
Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home