iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Great article on "The Breakfast Club"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Great article on "The Breakfast Club"
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting article about "The Breakfast Club" movie, its impact on the 80's and of the stars. It also featured a speculative on what would happen if it was made today:

(click below):
http://www.sacticket.com/static/movies/news/0124breakfast.html

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GremlinBreakfast
Rewind Gizmo
Member # 2585

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for GremlinBreakfast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good read, thanks for pointing it out!

I enjoyed the 'five things you might not know about the movie' section..... especially knowing who had read for a part, or was cast before the shoot began!

However, their ideas for who should play the main roles in a remake are terrible! Kelly Osbourne as Alison.... NOOOOOOO! I'm not sure if I would want to see Lindsay Lohan star as Claire either!

Hmmm.... I'm starting to think who I would choose now! Bearing in mind, I'm TOTALLY AGAINST a remake in the first place!

~grems!

Posts: 318 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobra kai82
Rewind Curious
Member # 2307

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Cobra kai82   Email Cobra kai82   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though I don't want a remake, if there had to be one, I got an idea for some of the cast.

Tobey Maguire; He may be too old, but I think he still looks just young enough. I can't think of anyone better playing the new Brian. Other than the age, he's perfect for the part.

Allison; Christina Ricci or Jena Malone. They can both pull off the nutty, dark loner, who turns out to be hot.

Claire: Katie Holmes or Kirsten Dunst. They can pull off the "I'm beautiful and know it, and slightly snobish" Popular girl.

I really can't think of anyone well known, who could pull off the Andy and Bender roles.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Decent read, nothing prize-winning, but it's good to see some media still talking about the 80s.

As for their casting, I actually don't have much problem with Lohan as Claire. She's a decent actress when paired with a good script, but I'd worry that her beauty might overshadow the actual film. As for Kelly Osbourne as Allison: No. Allison's role is one of the hardest to do without her coming off super-annoying, and with Kelly Osbourne, I can't see it doing anything but. Not to mention that her complete dearth of acting experience (and talent) will make the filming of the movie difficult for everyone involved.

Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea who might be them today. Then again, if it was on some whim an animated version (after all, nothing's impossible in Hollywood, although I have no idea why anyone would take that route to be sure), perhaps a couple of the original cast might lend their voices if they might still fit the required age level.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seth Green gets my vote for Nerd (maybe the kid from Malcolm in the Middle) too
Paul Williams for the Jock
GOTTA go with Lohan for the Princess
I like Kelly O. for the Basketcase, but how cool would Drew Barrymore be for it?
The Rebel would be great for Colin Farrell.

Imagining the payroll alone for my little cast would probably put most directors into a state of cardiac arrest, I will remain content to keep the original movie and the thought of, 'dont fix what isnt broken' [Smile]

Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only proviso I would have for recasting would be that at least 2 actors playing high schoolers would still be in high school. Ringwald and Hall were still teens when TBC was made 2 decades ago. I want it this way because in general, I don't like the theatrical concept of the twenty-five-old or thirtysomething teenager. Some can do it...some can't. To use 80s terminology, for every Judd Nelson or Alan Ruck, there were 10 Kevin Costners.

You know how I always complain about how certain Rewinders should be age-appropriate? While my standards are a little looser with actors, the same rules still apply for the most part.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...The Rock Steay Flamethrower

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home