iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Virginia Madsen-Sideways??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Virginia Madsen-Sideways??
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did any of you see the new movie Sideways with Virginia? The movie didn't open here but I've heard great things about it. It just got some awards at the Golden Globes too. I saw Virginia on the red carpet and also when the cast went up to accept the one award. It's cool to see her back in the game after being kind of low key for so long. She looks great. I guess I'll just have to wait for the video rental... [Smile]
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We talked about this over on the '90s message boards..."Sideways" is a great movie and we can officially talk about it here since Virginia provides the 'six degrees of the 80s' link.

It's a great, fun, quirky little film that's making a big impact.

Alexander Payne [writer-director] also did "Election" [Matthew Broderick, '80s connection] and "About Schmidt" [Nicholson, '80s connection]. It's probably the biggest budget movie of his to date, but still pretty much an 'independent.'

Virginia looks and is fantastic...don't wait for the video if at all possible.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The buzz is that Virgina Madsen is in contention for an academy award. This will hopefully make up for the one Isis feels she lost for "Fire With Fire". [Razz] [Big Grin]

In all seriousness, have you ever noticed that often actors/actresses win the Oscar for roles that may have not been his/her all-time best. I think of people like John Wayne and Paul Newman. I'm sure there are several examples if someone wanted to help me out.

[ 21. January 2005, 08:51: Message edited by: ValleyCat ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit that I do want to see this movie. I'm a fan of Madsen and I want to see her in a non-popcorn role (since I've only seen her in movies like "Electric Dreams" and "Hot To Trot").

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...The Rock Steady Flamethrower

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been in such limited release that those of us in rural areas get shafted by not getting to see some films because of the availability. She brought her mother with her to the Golden Globes, she was nominated and did not win. They will be announcing the Oscar nominations shortly so we will see who gets what?

I have heard it is a good movie though and I anxiously await getting to see it also.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well "Virginia There Is A Golden Statue" in your reach! [Big Grin]

I don't know if she will win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for "Sideways", but it appears she should at the very least be nominated.

Check out the awards she has won already, she did get upset at the Golden Gobes though, so don't get too excited.

Movie Awards

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Well The Academy has spoken and Virginia Madsen has been nominated for Best Supporting Actress for her role in Sideways. Very Cool!

Virginia Madsen

cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's awesome. I love that! Our little Fire With Fire Princess is an Oscar Nominee...hahaha! It's just cool to see someone who has been working in the business for so long finally get acknowledged for their blood, sweat and tears! Go Virginia, it's your birthday... [Big Grin]
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok here it goes.........I just saw Sideways.

Lots of my friends have been raving...and I saw everyone talking here too,but............I didn't like this movie! It was ok but it's not really gonna stick with me.

I'm a big fan of quirky and different. I love independents.......Alexander Payne is a funny writer......I own both Election and Citzen Ruth!

Sideways lacks something??? Thomas Haden Church is pretty funny. Virgina Madson is as stunning as ever though.........but i'm not getting all the nominations........sorry. She's not even really in the movie for very long.

Did Paul Giamatti get any nominations he's really the standout in the movie???? hmmmmm i'm surprised at this one. I won't watch it again. It's enjoyable to a degree....I'm wanting to hear from someone who's seen it? Tell me Hipstermom..why????..since you and I usually agree about our independents?

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy asked:
quote:
Did Paul Giamatti get any nominations he's really the standout in the movie???? hmmmmm i'm surprised at this one...
Suprisingly, Paul didn't get nominated. Instead, Clint Eastwood got nominated for his acting in "Million Dollar Baby", which certainly suprised a few Oscar observers.

Thomas Haden Church and Virginia Madsen are both nominated in "Supporting Performance" categories.

I have not seen the movie, but I think Madsen is a major contender in her Supporting Actress race, Cate Blanchett notwithstanding. Hollywood loves comeback stories!
[Smile]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is so cool, because I have never really thought Virginia Madsen was anyone I would be checking out their movies of, but since I LOVE Fire with Fire now so much, I did buy Zombie High, and tried to watch it the other night, but the sound was kind of scratchy, but it was actually kind of cool what I saw-I liked her again in it.

I was talking to my Aunt a few weeks ago, and telling her about liking Fire with Fire, and she asked who was in it, and I said Virginia Madsen, and she said..oh I know who she is, she's in a movie right now that I love, which turned out to be Sideways. My Aunt loves independant movies too, so she sees everything, and she and I never agree on movies ever.

It will be cool to see her at the Academy Awards, she might be the only reason I actually might watch them this year. I use to never miss them, now I don't know any of the movies that are even nominated.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
::crosses fingers for Virginia::

Isis totally amazed me that she hadnt seen Virginia in Fire With Fire. She was hypnotic in that movie, and was one of the main reasons I love Modern Girls to this day! Even on my first night on this board, I went to FAQs and corrected a movie description that was made wrong concerning Fire with Fire. Now if you can only help me out and get me that dang 'Safari' song from Modern Girls, I will be forever in your debt!

Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richie, I have seen Fire with Fire, but just recently ...like right around Christmas this year was when I saw it for the first time. I think I have watched it 4 or 5 times since then. I love that movie. It is probably one of my top 5 favorites now. I never eveer even saw it previewed in the 80's. I think the soundtrack is awesome, and one of the best movie soundtracks ever. Too bad they never released it.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy, I am sorry you didn't like "Sideways" that much...I loved Giamatti in "American Splendor" so it just comes down to 'to each our own.'

At least you're a fellow independent film buff...no harm, no foul on this one.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw "Sideways" tonite and loved it. Both Paul and Virginia were great in it. Thomas (he was in the show Wings) did an awesome job as the soon to be married friend of Paul. Together, I think they created some great comedic moments...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home