iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The best kind of horror movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The best kind of horror movie
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What type of horror do you like the most?

Do you like non supernatural slasher movies?
Or perhaps vampires? Aliens? Demons?

Me, I love zombie movies. Night, Dawn and Return of the Living Dead, Zombi 2, 28 Days later, Sean of the dead... I love them all.

I think I like them because to me, zombies are the most horrifying thing of all. At least with vampires there is something romantic, seductive and knowingly evil. But with zombies, there is no thought, no intent, just the craving to feed.

So what is your fave type of horror film and why?

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rhodes
Ace Rewinder
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for rhodes   Email rhodes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally i like all kinds,but my 2 favorite Categories would be the slasher with alot of T&A,and zombie films ROMERO is king of these hands down.
Sorry STICH 28 DAYS LATER SUCKED!! so did the remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD,and no i am not comparing it to the original!!!Zack Snyder directed this what a ****ing joke he should go back to directing childrens movies. George Romeros LAND OF THE DEAD should be great.

CAPTAIN RHODES [Karate Kid]

Posts: 434 | From: nevada | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to enjoy the lone killer after the group of teenagers type horror movie (Michael Myers, Freddy, Jason) and all those horrors the best.

Its just the inventiveness that is employed to come up with whole new ways to murder people that I like [Eek!]

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhodes, for once I disagree with you...

28 Days later and the new Dawn of The Dead movie ruled!!!!

I also thought Dog Soldiers was a brilliant take on the werewolf movie,

So There!!!!

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rhodes
Ace Rewinder
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for rhodes   Email rhodes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, I'm not even going to go into how this has nothing to do with the original masterpiece or even the original Night of the Living Dead and how that really ****ed me off. I already went through that with Texas Chainsaw Massacre and I'm sure not going to go through that whole deal about how they trashed another classic horror film. I understand that "insert Hollywood megaconglomerate film studio here" has no ideas and wants to make a quick 50 or so million off of the name of a genre legend. I'm not going to talk about any of that. (although it does **** me off) I've accepted that. But. if you're going to do a retelling or pretty much make an entirely different movie using the same title at least make it good.
This film sucked. It was boring, nonsensical, and completely ridiculous in most parts. The characters are one dimensional even for a horror film. I can't remember any of their names, in fact I'm not sure any of them were even given any. They are all completely interchangable. While this isn't important in slasher films where you are hoping for the people to die, it's pretty much damn near top priority in survival horror films. I mean we are pretty much subjected to watching their struggle against adversity, shouldn't we at least get to know some of them. None of them have anything interesting to say. The dialogue is meaningless, and in a dialogue heavy film that's pretty annoying. I was expecting so much better from screenwriter James Gunn. LOL
Let's see what else ****ed me off? Oh yeah. back before the movie came out I was talking to some people and remember saying "they will never put a zombie baby in a serious horror movie. Never. That's the dumbest idea I ever heard. A pregnant zombie giving birth to a zombie baby. Someone would have to be a complete retard to put that in a film." Well, you know what? There is a ****ing zombie baby in this!!! Complete with the now standard CGI "creepy" (sacrastic) eyes. At least my groaning covered up the loud 12 year olds that were in front of me playing with their cell phones.
So many things in this were ridiculous. There's this one part where the people are trying to escape by giving some trucks a Pimp My Ride makeover. They don't get very far because there are so many CGI zombies surrounding them. Well some genius gets on top of the truck and throws a propane bomb into the crowd. There's this huge explosion and the hero walks away unscathed. Not even a smudge of ash on his face. All of a sudden there are no more zombies for miles. I guess this explosion destroyed the thousands of zombies but didn't blow up the truck and the idiot standing on top of it.
There is a really cool part in this getaway scene involving an accidental chainsawing through this slutty chick and some cool shots of zombies getting there legs sawed off. There is also some romance that is thrown in out of nowhere in the end. Im not going to totally give it away but the ending is similar to that cliched scene of someone running alongside a train that their lover is in sappily touching the glass window. This was pretty pointless. I was like, "when the **** did they fall in love?" And why? The character I'm referring to was an annoying bitch. I hate it when all hell breaks loose and someone has to get all moral. "We can't kill him. Even if he is going to turn into a zombie and kill us all. We just can't kill him. It's not right?" Shut the **** up. When you're in a survival situation you have to throw that school taught religious **** out the window. Nothing ****es me off more than that.

Wait, correction. You know what ****es me off just as much? When all of a sudden a whitebread nurse from the suburbs starts shooting guns like Clint Eastwood. Give me a break. As alot of my Horror Heads out there know that shooting a gun accurately is not easy. Plus that gun would've knocked that bitch on her ***. And I know they didn't practice and teach her how to shoot. They were low on ammo and there was no gun store in that mall.

CAPTAIN RHODES [Big Grin] [Karate Kid]

Posts: 434 | From: nevada | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with you Noms. I thought 28 Days Later was incredibly intense and possibly the most "realistic" zombie film I've seen. It does lose impact on repeated viewings, but when I first watched it in the cinema, man! I've never felt so gut wrenched during a film before!

I preferred the new Dawn of the Dead to the original, but I must admit that I saw the remake first. I was disappointed by the original Dawn - the zombies often looked ridiculous (they were more frightening in Night), and the slapstick scene with the bikies in the mall was just plain stupid.

I just watched Zombi 2 (aka Zombie Flesh Eaters). I was expecting a cheap pile of garbage, but it turned out to be excellent, with some great gore and an awesome scene with an underwater zombie attacking a great white shark!

Zombies! Gotta luv'em!!

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rhodes
Ace Rewinder
Member # 3293

28 DAYS LATER anothet rip off.....

28 Days Later-2002

1.)Jim shouting "Hello." to the in the empty city.
2.)Tough chick.
3.)Crazy Military Men.
4.)Military men wanting sex with women.
5.)3 survivors.
6.)Weak Man.
7.)Happy ending.
8.)Using infected to teach people about infected.
9.)Jim escaping.
10.)Jim letting infected in.
11.)Leader of military getting killed by infected being used to teach people about infected while survivors leave.
12.)Bad dream.
13.)Talks about god and mankind.

Day of the Dead-1985

1.)Miguel shouting, "Hello." in the city.
2.)Tough chick.
3.)Crazy Military Men.
4.)Military men wanting sex with Sarah.
5.)3 survivors.
6.)Weak soldier.
7.)Happy ending.
8.)Using zombies to learn about the zombies.
9.)Miguel escaping.
10.)Miguel letting zombies in.
11.)Leader of military getting shot by Bub while survivors escape.
12.)Bad dreams.
13.)Talks about god and mankind.

So what this boils down to is the BRITISH !!! can not make zombie movies.

CAPTAIN RHODES [Big Grin] [Karate Kid]

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Rhodes, did you like Shawn of the Dead?
rhodes
Ace Rewinder
Member # 3293

Well STICH yes i did and i know it was made by Limeys :Dthis has been a fun conversation i stopped drinking and smoking cold turkey about 3 weeks now and i am having a hard time sleeping [Mad]

I just watched Zombi 2 (aka Zombie Flesh Eaters). I was expecting a cheap pile of garbage, but it turned out to be excellent, with some great gore and an awesome scene with an underwater zombie attacking a great white shark!
quote:

STICH i cant believe you would like Lucio Fulci's "Zombie" over the original DAWN OF THE DEAD,thats the problem with you Aussies [Big Grin]

CAPTAIN RHODES

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Congrats on making 3 weeks - keep it up!
I did prefer "Zombie" over "Dawn of the dead". Funnily enough, my housemate is English and hated "Zombie", "Shawn", "Dawn" and "28 Days later". Maybe you're right about it being an Aussie thing - or maybe I'm just weird. (Oh yeah, that's it!)

rhodes
Ace Rewinder
Member # 3293

Now, as far as fun zombie movies give me Return of the Living Dead "Ahh... sweet Trash. Quigley's wigglies are so excellent. Like Bruce Lee says: "Them titties are like water. You put that titty in a cup, it become the cup..." the D-Cup. Are you impressed?"

CAPTAIN RHODES

mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like 28 DAYS LATER (Nothin' new here, Folks) but I did like the DAWN OF THE DEAD remake. It was, for me, better than the original.

I like most horror movies. I'll agree that I like the ones where theres a solid bad guy who comes at you relentleslly: Freddy or Michael Meyers....that kind of thing.

The ones that scare me the most are the ones like THE SHINING. That seems entirely too POSSIBLE for me and I lose sleep over it.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
S L A S H E R MOVIE!!!

There Nothing Like A Crazed Lunatic Wearing, A Hockey Mask Chasing You With A Razor Sharp Axe [Cool]

Or A Flesh Wearing Sick-O With An 18in. Chainsaw Lurking The Wood, And Waiting For His Next Victim

And Let's Not Forget The Insane [Smile] Like A Nutcase That Kills Babysitters On HALLOWEEN, With The Biggest Butcher Knive In The Drawer.

And How Could You Not Love A Slasher That Kills His Victims At Slumber Parties With A High-Powered Drill At The End Of His Guitar.

Demon Movies Would Be Next On The List, Followed By Zombie Movies. I'm Not To Big Of A Fan Of Vampire & Werewolf Movies. But SLASHER Horror Movies Are The Best [Big Grin]

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i actually prefer zombie movies. but halloween 1 & 2 are my faves, cause i am obsessed with michael myers.

i really liked 28 days later, very different. the ending didn't sit well with me, for some reason, but what else could you come up with in that kind of situation.

anyone who liked shaun of the dead, rules. that movie was fantastic.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the zombies but it always bugged me when they move so damn slow!!! Even michael Meyers.....I would get away from him in a f***in' flash!

Did not see SHAUN OF THE DEAD yet....maybe I'll try to find a copy on www.half.com

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shaun of the dead is hilarious mamamia, check it out asap!
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like any movie with
a nightmare killer with knives for fingers,
an outhouse impalement scene,
a possessed doll that just won't die,
a menacing Shape lurking in the background,
a scene shot from the P.O.V. of a poltergeist,
a wicked hag who startles us & then floats away,
a quick shot of a hideous dead screaming face,
a graveyard zombie surprise attack,
a vengeful pack of sideshow freaks chasing a lady,
or a guy who painfully turns into an unhuman creature.

Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GremlinBreakfast
Rewind Gizmo
Member # 2585

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for GremlinBreakfast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was beginning to think that I was the only one who didn't like the new 'Dawn Of The Dead.' It started well, but after the main credit sequence I quickly began to lose all interest! I'm not sure why exactly , but I do remember hoping it would get better.

'Shaun Of The Dead' however was a very enjoyable movie, in my opinion! [Smile] It was hilarious in parts, even though it did suffer with a slightly slow start! Saying that though, it remains entertaining with repeated viewings - which some movies do not!

As for '28 Days Later' I haven't seen it yet.

In all, I've come to the conclusion that I don't enjoy 'zombie movies' all that much. I'm not a fan of the ones directed by Romero, and the other batch (Fulci etc.) just seem too stupid for my liking.

Maybe I'm more of a 'psycho/stalker' kinda person. Both the original 'Halloween' and 'Nightmare On Elm Street' movies are worshipped classics, and I'm also fond of sitting down to watch the 'Friday the 13th' series and even the first 'Scream.' Ghost movies are also good to watch (like 'Poltergeist' and 'The Fog,') plus werewolf movies like 'Dog Soldiers' and 'Ginger Snaps.'

Maybe it solely depends on the individual movie, and that I'm not excited (and expecting to love) another addition to Horror's many sub-genres!

~grems!

Posts: 318 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Yeah...ordered my copy of SHAUN OF THE DEAD.

I also get creeped out by haunted hosue ghost story movies like THE CHANGELING. Why these people don't just get the Hell out while the getting is good!!!!!!
"There's a ghost...what do you think he wants?"...
Who cares what he wants? pack your s*** and MOVE!!!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home