iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 80's movies that are really 90's movies and vice-versa

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 80's movies that are really 90's movies and vice-versa
Paul_pci
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3670

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Paul_pci         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm new here so I don't know if anyone has brought this up before, but as you know, in addition to the awesome hair, cool lingo, timeless music, and relentless obssession with teen issues, what makes an 80's movie an 80's movie is the arbitrary distinction of being produced between 1980 and 1989. So I started wondering what 80's movies are really 90's movies and what 90's movies are really 80's movies. Confining myself to 1989 and 1990 here are a couple of my choices:

Reallly 90's movies: Dead Poet's Society and sex, lies, and videotape.

Really 80's movies: The Adventures of Ford Fairlaine and Pump Up the Volume.

What would your choices be for 80's movies that are really 90's movies and vice-versa?

Paul.

Posts: 16 | From: The Valley | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this topic because it often becomes a debate for me!

I always thought Pump up the Volume should just be an 80's movie!

Others like that for me that were made in the 90's but just on the verge of being made in the 80's...have the 80's feel and totally sit the shelf with my 80's movies are:

Mermaids (probs cause of Winona)
Don't Tell Mom the Babysitters Dead (so 80's!)
Edward Scissorhands and Cry Baby!

A great 90's movie that feels 80's in that it was a teen movie all about the trends of the time.......Clueless

and you can't forget those set in the 80's,
The Wedding Singer,American Pshyco, The ultimate....Donnie Darko (one of my favorite movies ever! [Razz] )

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Muffy, I have seen Donnie Darko, and I have been wondering what all of the hype was about. I honestly wasn't all that impressed with the movie. A bit weird, is he alive? Did he die? And what the hell was that rabbit thing? I might not have been paying all that much attention because everyone seems to like this movie, but it just didn't do it for me.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devo I get what your saying.....although i'm like are you nuts??? [Big Grin]

I just find Donnie Darko to be so creative and different. The Soundtrack was awesome. Jake was brillant. I like dark humor and a movie that gets your mind going.....my friends and I spent a good hour outside the theater after the directors cut...just discussing it. You can't get it out of your head. I think that is the point not to know....?

It's visually so beautiful. I laugh so much at it too. The fact it was set in the 80's wasn't overdone either. The Dukais (sp?) jokes I found so funny.

One of my favorite parts is the whole going through school scene with Tears for Fears playing....it was so awesome to me. What can I say I just love the movie!!!!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have to agree with muffy that donnie darko is a different and creative film. the plus is, it was set in the 80s and had a good music soundtrack. movies like this, upon many others, make me thank god that i am able to appreciate movies for so many different reasons and not always ask myself..."what's the point?"...or say, "that had no plot what-so-ever."
donnie darko, wasn't very entertaining to me, but more artistic.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donnie Darko was all about Patrick Swayze and his real "Dirty Dancing: The Ultimate Collection". [Eek!]

I totally agree about the Tears For Fears scene in the movie. This movie really freaked me out, of course I watch it as a double feature with the movie "Identity" that was packed with old 80's stars. I'm big about trying to figure movies out, and someimes it takes me awhile to accept movies that are left with ambiguous endings. But I'm a creative thinker, so I make my own endings.

And "Pump Up The Volume" was so 80's for me. I know The Rock would technically disagree, but movies are more than just a year they were made in, they are what you make them out to be in your mind. If you think a movie is 80's, So Be It!

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, these 90s movies are actually 80s movies, and the reason why is because they're ACTUALLY 80s MOVIES. Let me explain: I know many of you don't stay through the end credits, but I do, and it's proven quite handy. Here are some examples of films released in 1990 that actually have 1989 copyright dates. Therefore, these can be considered 80s movies:

-"Don't Tell Her It's Me" (Steve Guttenberg, Jami Gertz, Shelley Long
-"Lisa" (Staci Keanan, Cheryl Ladd, D.W Moffett)
-"Loose Cannons" (Dan Aykroyd, Gene Hackman, Nancy Travis)
-"Revenge" (Kevin Costner, Madeleine Stowe, Anthony Quinn)
-"Downtown" (Anthony Edwards, Forest Whitaker, Joe Pantoliano)
-"Blue Steel" (Jamie Lee Curtis, Ron Silver, Clancy Brown)
-"Impulse" (Theresa Russell, Jeff Fahey, George Dzundza)
-"Honeymoon Academy/For Better Or For Worse" (Kim Cattrall, Robert Hays, Leigh Taylor-Young)

I have a slew of titles with 1990 copyright dates I could mention as honorable 80s movies, but truthfully, I never bought into what ValleyCat believes. It's all in the copyright is my view, but different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...The Rock Steady Flamethrower

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HanoiRox
Rewind Curious
Member # 3654

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for HanoiRox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Muffy entirely about 'Mermaids' really being an 80's film. I just cannot imagine it not being. I saw the film 'Letters to God' on TV the other week and to me that struck as an 80' film, but was actually from 1996. So maybe i just have bad judgement on this.
Posts: 5 | From: Lanky | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GremlinBreakfast
Rewind Gizmo
Member # 2585

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for GremlinBreakfast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was searching around online and found these movies released in the US during 1990!

*Ski Patrol (Jan 1st)
*Tremors (Jan 19th)
*Madhouse / The Witches (Feb 16th)
*The Hunt For Red October (March 2nd)
*Joe Versus The Volcano / House Party (March 9th)
*Lambada / Nuns On The Run / Blind Fury (March 16th)
*Pretty Woman (March 23rd)
*Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (March 30th)
*Bird On A Wire (May 18th)
*BTTF Part 3 (May 24th)
*Total Recall (June 1st)

There are many more on the website.... (I thought you would all like to see for yourself)

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/index1990.html

I bet most of these movies would apply to being produced before the new decade started!

~grems!

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the rewind, Paul_pci!

[ 09. January 2005, 09:20: Message edited by: GremlinBreakfast ]

Posts: 318 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This topic has been done a bit, but new interpretations are always nice. I was more confused than blown away by Donnie Darko, I thought the songs they played like EATB's the Killing Moon, and Tears for Fears were 84-85 songs, and the movie was set in 1988, clearly from the Micahel Dukakis reference. So that bothered me a bit. But the movie does get better with repeated viewings. Is it just me or wasn't there some Bunny creature homage in 70's horror classic the Wicker Man? As for 80's-90's movies, films like Heathers and Say Anything were clearly on the cusp of a new generation as the grung era grew closer. I can think of more, but drawing a blank at the moment.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Nice site Grems.......very cool to see it layed out box office and all.

Haha Don't Tell Her It's Me sits with my 80's movies I didn't even think of that one! Guttenburg, Gertz and Shelly Long I love that movie! Shelly is so funny in it with her daughter and the dog. Lobo and his sexy curly mullet...grrrr!... [Wink] lol! does anyone else like this movie.......is it just me?

Oh Riptide i'd argue the DDarko music thing if maybe the songs came out after 88' then it wouldn't be realistic.....right?

I found the Dukakis thing so funny because I think I was one of four kids who voted for Dukakis in our elementary school election.

CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE PUNISHER..............................

Some TV listing says 89 other say 90 [Confused]

"It's Not Revenge....It's Punishment"
-FRANK CASTLE

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RonaldMcdonaldMiller
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3657

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for RonaldMcdonaldMiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Miracle Beach" has 80s written all over it

"She's All That" and "Can't Hardly Wait" really have an 80s feel to them

Posts: 27 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rocksteadyflamethrower:
To me, these 90s movies are actually 80s movies, and the reason why is because they're ACTUALLY 80s MOVIES. Let me explain: I know many of you don't stay through the end credits, but I do, and it's proven quite handy. Here are some examples of films released in 1990 that actually have 1989 copyright dates.

John (and anyone else, really): here's a question for you.

What was the last year of the 80s? In truth, the last year of the decade was 1990, just like the last year of the 20th Century was 2000. And so this would make all of the movies you listed officially 80s movies by release as well as by copyright.

What movies with 1980 release or copyright should we truthfully consider 70's movies? And come to that, should we ask Nick to move them to the 70s site?

- Paul (stirring up debate and controversy since Jan 1st 1981)

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

So...
I know I have argued this point a thousand times, and all of you drive me crazy. And it's not like I'm a math teacher or anything like that but for the 1000th time. We had this thing a long time ago called BC (AKA negative time) So once you hit 0000 that is the first year. Then 0009 is the tenth. Telling me that 1990 is actually an 80's year is out of control. Maybe in spirit maybe. But I teach kids born in 1990. They aren't 80's kids, nor would I let them ever tell me that they are. Maybe it's all math, or maybe everyone just wants the 80's to be the longest decade ever. Either way, stop and think. Anyone here who might have been born in 1980 might be proud to be born in the 80's. But according to the many of you, they were born in the 70's? When the year begins with and 8? Hey, my birthday is late May, does that mean that I am born in June? Come on people.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched RUNNING MAN on cable the other day...again...and it was filmed in the '80s. BUT...it's supposed to take place in THE FUTURE. But every single outfit on every single charctor is SO '80s looking! Dig those SOLID GOLD-type dancers!!!!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devo, how can there have been a year 0000?

This is where your theory falls to the ground, sir. The calendar (such as it was) would have gone from 0001 BC to 0001 AD (the last year BC to the first year AD).

I thank you. For my next trick, I shall attempt to turn wine into water (by passing it through my body.... ) [Eek!]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RonaldMcdonaldMiller
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3657

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for RonaldMcdonaldMiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the Gregorian calendar used today in western civilization is based off The Julian calendar and Anno Domini meaning "in the year of our Lord Jesus Christ" not after death as some think, it depends how you view the whole AD thing. If you say in the first year of our Lord meaning 1 AD you have to consider christ would not have been a year old until 2 AD which set things a year ahead of what his actual birthdate would have been. Its like having a child born today and using the figure 1 year old as a newborn and saying well how can you start at zero they have to be 1. I guess it just depends on how you look at it.
Posts: 27 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, when is an 80's movie NOT an 80's movie?

Or how about a movie (well, PARTS of a movie) that was shot sometime during the 80's decade, and not shown until long afterwards?

There's one movie that comes that to mind, though I haven't seen it, but want to. It is called "Coffee And Cigarettes", directed by Jim Jarmusch. It officially was released in theaters in 2003.

It is actually a series of small sketches and vignettes, all shot in black and white, and were filmed in various years.

Sections of the movie were filmed in the late 80's, and then later in the early 90's.

A scene with singer/songwriter Tom Waits and Roberto Benigni was shot in 1987.

Bill Murray, Iggy Pop, Steve Buscemi, Alfred Molina, Steven Wright, Cate Blanchett (in a dual role), all appear in this movie.

The premise of the movie may not seem very exciting, since the movie seems to be all dialogue and little or no plot. But, hey, there is at least SOME 80's references to it! [Smile]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home