iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Seeking movie title

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seeking movie title
No9dog
Rewind Curious
Member # 3659

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for No9dog   Email No9dog       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking for the title to a movie I saw years ago. The movie is probably late 80s or early 90s. My sketchy recollection of the plot is that the movie is set in the post-World War II period, in some beach-vacation area. A young boy befriends a war widow, and the two have a deeply emotional bond that ends when the boy's family goes home from their summer vacation. It seems like the boy maybe reminded the woman of her late husband in some way, but I can't remember for certain. I also seem to remember there being great music in this film, perhaps even a rendition of Dream a Little Dream of Me, but I can't be certain of that... Does this sound familiar to anyone???
Posts: 2 | From: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like 'Summer Of '42':

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067803/

The instrumental music is pretty good. Can't remember any songs though.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
No9dog
Rewind Curious
Member # 3659

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for No9dog   Email No9dog       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. This looks like the movie. This web site is great, and it's good to find a source of information from people who share my love for movies.
Posts: 2 | From: Southeastern U.S. | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logan5's response:
quote:
It sounds like 'Summer Of '42':
[snip]...The instrumental music is pretty good. Can't remember any songs though.

The movie came out in 1971. The movie was filmed just north of San Francisco. I love the scene where Hermie (played by Gary Grimes) tries to buy condoms at the drugstore! [Big Grin]

The theme song and backgroud score is done by the French film composer Michel Legrand, who has been working in film scores since the 50's.

IIRC, the instrumental theme was a brief Top-40 hit during the early 70's.

This being an 80's board, Legrand worked on lots of movies during the decade, and won an Academy Award for his work on the Barbra Streisand musical "Yentl" (1983).

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home