iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What movies have you recently purchased? (Page 23)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  28  29  30   
Author Topic: What movies have you recently purchased?
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

the great michael dudikoff,he always comes across as really laid back and friendly when I've watched a couple of his interviews on YouTube,he actually seems a really cool (dude) - ikoff [Big Grin]

never seen fugitive mind atomik,I looked it up on imdb and see it's got heather lagenkamp in it as well,i think they need to give dudikoff's resue me (1992) with stephen dorff,ami dolez a proper DVD release as it's a really fun little movie.

I own midnight ride,chain of command,avenging force and bloody birthday in which he has a small role on DVD,American ninja 1&2 and bachelor party on blu ray
And also platoon leader on vhs.

-

Watched human shield and soldierboyz before and enjoyed them both,not seen many of his later 90s early 2000 outings but it looks like he's starting to make a bit of an acting comeback which is awesome!

I think it's only a small part but 1980s - the black marble interests me,it's got Judy landers in it as well as harry dean Stanton,have you ever seen it atomik?

[ 03. October 2015, 10:19: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alien
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37378

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Alien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The new Shout Factory release of "Shocker".

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Shocker-Blu-ray/132728/

Posts: 21 | From: Long Beach, California | Registered: Jun 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great film alien,I have the DVD and will look at upgrading to the blu ray at some point.

Have you watched it yet,does it look pretty good?

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never seen The Black Marble, warrior but i own over 20 Dudekoff films so you can call me a fan too [Smile]
Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a change, here's what i didn't get :

Arrow's limited 4 disc edition of David Cronenberg's Videodrome

It didn't come in yet, and now several websites claim it's already out-of-print ! [Mad]

Posts: 2179 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luckily my brother pre-ordered the Videodrome set and got it. He said that the 3000 pressing was oop the day it was released.
Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Release-date was august 17th.. I pre-ordered my copy on may 19th.. but without any luck, apparently.

This is the first time i'm missing out on one of Arrow's limited editions. [Frown]

Sure, they're releasing the exact same discs in regular packaging before the end of the year, but that's besides the point.

Posts: 2179 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Wow, they totally underestimated the demand then...
goresnet
Master Rewinder
Member # 6592

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for goresnet   Email goresnet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just recently got the bluray of The Last Dragon!
Posts: 160 | From: League City, TX | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

This is what I've picked up over the last few weeks - mill creek comedy 4pk featuring Micki and Maude,hanky panky,there's a girl in my soup and modern romance,horror blu rays - maniac cop 2,killer rat flick - deadly eyes,psycho 3 which I think is
a pretty underatted sequel in the classic horror series,Steven Spielberg comedy flop - 1941 which I also really like.

Also picked up the 1980 haunted house horror - the nesting and the 1981 horror classic - dead and buried both on blu ray.

[ 21. September 2015, 09:01: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Nice bunch once again warrior!
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
New stuff:

Retroactive (1997)

-

Susan´s Plan (1998)

-

Chloe (2009)

-

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Retroactive is great stuff,bit of a hidden gem as I think it passed under a lot of peoples radars,james Belushi was really good here as the nutty redneck killer.

It sort of reminds me a bit of a psychotic version of groundhog day [Big Grin]

[ 23. September 2015, 10:42: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

took another trip into my town center of canterbury this weekend and picked up both of these - new zealand horror comedy house bound (£4.99 uk) and an atari 2600 game i've long been after and that is the parker brothers adaption of the 1981 arcade hit - frogger which i picked up for 5 uk pounds which i was quite pleased with.

works perfectly as well,it's a fun and challenging game!

[ 03. October 2015, 10:01: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Just got the Silver Fang (1986) box set. I remember watching this when i was a kid.

-

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
That dog looks like it means business atomik,you sure it's not rabid [Big Grin]
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
He´s ****ed off because the demon bear Akakabuto killed his father.

Even the Wikipedia knows that this was big here:

"Atypically, the anime has become extremely popular in the Nordic countries (particularly Finland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden). The anime has been dubbed in Korean, Thai, Finnish, Hungarian, Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish.
The Finnish dub, Hopeanuoli, was created by Golden Voice OY and became wildly popular. In 2003 the uncensored and non-dubbed version of the anime was released in Finland and Sweden as a 5 DVD box set".

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Has it already been a month ? .. Apparently yes, it has.. so here we go again.

This morning two packages arrived at Roarke residence :

US imports include Savage Weekend (blu-ray), Malone (blu-ray), Cannibal Terror / Devil Hunter double-feature (blu-ray),
Turkey Shoot (blu-ray), Metamorphosis / Beyond Darkness double-feature (blu-ray), and The Hunger (blu-ray).

Also, as predictable as i may have become, another batch of Vinegar Syndrome discs,
including the wonderfully titled Sometimes Aunt Martha Does Dreadful Things (1971).
If the actual movie is only half as good as the title, it's still going to be a winner ! [Big Grin]

Metamorphosis and Beyond Darkness (as released by Scream Factory) are late 80's,
bottom-of-the-barrel Filmirage productions (which was Italian sleaze meister Joe D'Amato's production company).
In its synopsis for Beyond Darkness the sleeve says :
,..This tale of terror comes from Claudio Fragasso, the director of Troll 2, so you KNOW it's good !..'

Too funny ! [Big Grin]

UK imports include Lamberto Bava's A Blade In The Dark (blu-ray) and Blastfighter (blu-ray), Umberto Lenzi's Spasmo (blu-ray),
Arrow's combopack for La Grande Bouffe, and The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai across the 8th Dimension (blu-ray).

Also the second best movie ever made (after Blue Velvet) :

-

Even though i already had the Criterion blu-ray from 2013, a dvd copy of this masterpiece was still missing from
my collection. UK company Eureka presents this as a combopack release in their Masters Of Cinema series.
It drops one of two commentary tracks from the Criterion version, but adds an interview with the director.
But more importantly, i finally have a dvd copy of one of my favorite movies of all time ! [Smile]

[ 01. October 2015, 05:13: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Johnny when you get chance will let us know what blade in the dark is like,I have actually watched it just the once way back but my memory of it is very fuzzy!

Malone is a really cool Reynolds flick,like to see savage weekend,the hunger and Turkey shoot are pretty great also.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Several of these titles i got today i already own on dvd, but upgraded now to blu-ray.
I always try to read as many reviews as i could find to help me decide if a certain movie is worth the upgrade.
In the case of A Blade In The Dark, this review made me decide to buy it again :
www.10kbullets.com/reviews/a/a-blade-in-the-dark-88-films-bluray/

I'll compare it to my old Anchor Bay dvd some time soon, and give my own opinion about the difference.

I haven't seen Malone since the early days of Dutch cable TV around 1990, so that would be fun to re-visit after 25 years.

Savage Weekend is new to me. I have never seen it, even though it's something that is right up my alley.
If the trailer is any indication, then this must be one seriously nasty sleaze fest ! [Big Grin]

Judge for yourself : www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibPlt2Xeb98

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
This morning i checked out several of my new discs, just to get an overall impression of what i bought.

Malone was the first disc i tested.. and i can happily assure you it's a winner !
The disc may be (close to) bare-bones, but the transfer is impressive.
I don't really mind the absence of noteworthy extra's as long as the transfer is good, and Malone certainly delivers !

Plus, it never hurts to see Cynthia Gibb in HD either ! [Big Grin]

I really hope Kino's upcoming Heart Of Midnight blu-ray has been treated
with a similarly respectful overhaul for its HD debut later this month.

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I did a comparison between my old Anchor Bay dvd of Lamberto Bava's A Blade In The Dark (released nearly 15 years ago)
and the recently released blu-ray version from UK's 88films.. and to be completely honest, i'm not impressed. [Frown]

The 10kbullets review claimed this as "another strong transfer that greatly improves upon all previous releases".
I thought its overall appearance was rather underwhelming, and even more worrisome : It runs almost 2 minutes shorter !

At this point i can't tell yet if anything's missing, but i'm certainly not pleased.

The major plus of the blu-ray is that it also includes the original Italian audio track which was absent on the dvd.
I checked several scenes, and it turns out they were clearly speaking Italian on set. Even though it's still dubbed,
this is definitely the better choice as it matches the actors lip-movements much much better.
Once the Italian audio is selected you do get stuck with unremovable English subtitles though.
All of the extra's are presented in 50hz, which might cause playback problems for people outside of Europe.

-

I still like the movie, but in the end it wasn't worth the upgrade.. at least not to the 88films version.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Roarke is reckless:

the major plus of the blu-ray is that it also includes the original Italian audio track which was absent on the dvd.
I checked several scenes, and it turns out they were clearly speaking Italian on set. Even though it's still dubbed,
this is definitely the better choice as it matches the actors lip-movements much much better.
Once the Italian audio is selected you do get stuck with unremovable English subtitles though.
All of the extra's are presented in 50hz, which might cause playback problems for people outside of Europe.

I still like the movie, but in the end it wasn't worth the upgrade.. at least not to the 88films version.

i go on my wifes facebook account sometimes and
check up on the 88 films facebook page and can actually recollect a few people bringing up this issue of the lip sync being so way out on there blade in the dark release,i can't recollect any of them getting a reply from 88 films though.

so far from 88 films i've picked up - slaughterhouse,dead of winter,castle freak,the pit and the pendulum,two moon junction,trancers,
american ninja 1 and 2,the last horror film and puppet master.

great label releasing a lot of obscure titles that would otherwise probably not see the light of day,just got to keep a bit more of a check on there quality control with certain releases but saying that i've been generally very pleased with most of there releases so far!

coming soon johnny they have creepshow 2,the children of the corn 1-3,sleepaway camp 2 & 3 and drive-in massacre amongst others.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Picked up blu rays for the 2005 version of - house of wax and the empire pictures horror western - ghost town.

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Also picked up both of these horror's on dvd for under 5 UK pounds each when I took a trip into my local town centre earlier on today - demonic and starry eyes.

[ 03. October 2015, 12:00: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

This topic comprises 30 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  28  29  30   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home