iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 80's Movie of the Day - "Melvin And Howard"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 80's Movie of the Day - "Melvin And Howard"
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the new movie "The Aviator", starring Leonardo DeCaprio as aviator and businessman Howard Hughes during his "prime" years, just now in theaters...I think it's time to discuss about an 80's movie that dealt with Hughes near the end of his life.

I'm referring to the sublime comedy "Melvin And Howard" (1980), starring Paul Le Mat and Jason Robards (as the aging Howard Hughes).

It's about the alleged story of an ordinary 'working stiff' and gas station owner named Melvin Dummar, who, in the mid-1970's claimed that he was the benefactor of Hughes' will, which totaled $156 million. The only thing that Melvin ever did for Howard, was to give him a ride into town after Howard had a motorcyle accident.

The movie doesn't really investigate whether or not Dummar was telling the truth, but it shows how an unexpected, sudden wealth can change a person's life, and not necessarily for the better.

It was directed by Jonathan Demme, and it was one of his earlier works.

Mary Steenburgen (who was married to Malcolm McDowell at the time) won a "Best Supporting Actress" Oscar for her role as Melvin's wife.

Has anyone here seen it? I saw it once in the theaters many years ago, but have not seen it since.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderfully quirky & well-acted!

And I thank you for mentioning a movie that had nothing to do with teen sex-capades, horror or toothy action stars.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rhodes
Ace Rewinder
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for rhodes   Email rhodes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I thank you for mentioning a movie that had nothing to do with teen sex-capades, horror or toothy action stars.
quote:

The things above are what make classics dammm get some culture
Posts: 434 | From: nevada | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To each his own...I happen to like quirky character-driven odd-ball films...one person's culture is another person's trash.
Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home