iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Diner and Say Anything

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diner and Say Anything
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought loads of videos off the market...one is Diner...which I've never heard of, but has very young looking Kevin Bacon, Steve Guttenberg and Mickey Rourke in...any one seen it??????.......plus Say Anything which I also havent seen but it has the totally gorgeous John Cusack in it...so I figured, it was worth a watch, if only to perv on him...any views on either???...

I also bought Some Kind of Wonderful on video...despite already having it on DVD....I'm outta control, and I think I need some kind of aversion therapy, before I live in a house made purely from 80's videos, with 80's film posters as curtains, and 80's soundtrack CD's as windows...ok I'm rambling now...... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some kind Of wonderful is a great film,so maybe you can never have too many copies E.A.
Diner ive never been that bothered about,but its worth watching just for the cast and the popcorn scene.(see it to believe it)
Say anything is fantastic,its one of those perfect romantic type movies that you have to watch with some beers and a pizza...
oh and a boyfriend/girlfriend too if you have one.Great movie.
Enjoy E.A

Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH MY GOD!!.........Eangel I did not know you have'nt seen one of my favorite movies EVER!

Lloyd would be my idea of the perfect boyfriend. [Wink]

"Are you shaking?...."no"...."your shaking"
So sweet!!!!!!!
In Your Eyes!!!!!!! A very famous movie scene. I don't wanna give away much. Because I could talk on and on about the very many aspects that make this movie so great. It's Cameron Crowe.....John Mahoney and Lili Taylor are a great supporting cast.
You have to laugh at Corey's obsession with Joe! "Joe liiiiiiiiies........when he cries"

It's just a great first love story. My DVD has commentary with Crowe, Cusack and Skye....which is really great to watch.....it also has a ton of deleted scenes and extended scenes.
Also the movie is set where I live so thats fun for me.

Ok I love it so much I don't even really know what to write about it.....except that I can watch it over and over and smile the whole way through. [Big Grin]

Eangel watch it first.........cause I couldn't even sit through Diner???

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're both good films, but different and it would depend on what you're looking for. "Diner" has some great dialog and character nuances...Paul Reiser eating everyone's food but never buying anything for himself was improvised.

But "Say Anything" is definitely special...I think every girl looks back and wishes she had a Lloyd in her life, friend or boyfriend.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainbowbrite22
Given the choice, Duckie would have been Luckie...
Member # 2288

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rainbowbrite22   Author's Homepage   Email Rainbowbrite22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely love SAY ANYTHING !! john cusack is my 80s crush you have to love a sensitive caring guy they are so hard to come by now a days and i love some kind of wonderful b/c i can relate with watz alot on caring for someone who doesnt see you more then a friend so they are both super great 80s movies
Posts: 1270 | From: GA the peachie state :) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Sorry that I haven't replied to this thread earlier, but I guess it was brought up during while I was away, thanks to the friggin' Hugga Bunch. [Smile] ]

Earth Angel wondered:
quote:
I just bought loads of videos off the market...one is "Diner"...which I've never heard of, but has very young looking Kevin Bacon, Steve Guttenberg and Mickey Rourke in...any one seen it??????
I rented it on VHS video back in the late 80's, and enjoyed the film. Not much on plot, but long on dialogue and character study. And it is an interesting look at Baltimore in the early 1950s.

It is recommended for the exchange between the actors, and to see the early performances of Guttenberg, Kevin Bacon, Mickey Rourke, Daniel Stern, Paul Reiser, and Ellen Barkin.

It's a movie you can admire, if not to enjoy.

Out of 4 stars, I would give it 2.5 or perhaps 3.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffster you are so right on the coolness that is Lloyd Dobler. Another movie that ranks up on the list for me. Lloyd Dobler wasn't afraid to be himself and I respect that about him. Cameron Crowe really understood what it was like to be a teenager and his movies are memorable because of it.

Did your town have a "Gas & Sip" that everyone hung out at on friday nights? [Razz]

Btw, the kickboxing scene where Lloyd gets tagged in the nose looked so real to me.

Lloyd Dobler: One question: do you need someone or do you need me? - I don't care.
Diane Court: I need you.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't know, i may be alone on this, but i am a huge john cusack fan and i mainly love almost every character he has played in his career but SAY ANYTHING is at the near bottom of my list.
true, the character of lloyd is that of a different, honest, caring, and sweet guy that a girl longs for (much like the man in my life), but the movie itself never grabbed at me.

..never saw DINER, at least i don't think so, so i can't comment on that one.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Muffy Tepperman:
Eangel watch it first.........cause I couldn't even sit through Diner???

Ok I dug this thread up because I watched Diner! I don't know if I didn't give it chance or what......but this was 6 years ago that I said that! [Smile]

Diner is great........awesome cast set in Baltimore....set in the 50's which I have an obsession for. I hated Mickey Rourke's character what a pompous butt!

My DVD is a double feature with Liberty Heights another film from director Barry Levinson i'm excited to watch it too.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muffy, have you ever seen "Barfly?" It's a great 80's Mickey Rourke movie. Probably not for everyone, but I always enjoyed it.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home