iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CULT MOVIES OF THE 80S (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE CULT MOVIES OF THE 80S
rhodes
Ace Rewinder
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for rhodes   Email rhodes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here are some of my pics

1. SCARFACE

2. This is Spinal Tap

3. Return of the Living Dead

4. NIGHT OF THE COMET

5. Phantasm 2

6. Weekend At Bernies

7. TOXIC AVENGER

8. EVIL DEAD

9. Re-Animator

10. DEATH WISH 3

CAPTAIN RHODES [Big Grin]

Posts: 434 | From: nevada | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heathers
Young Einstein
Malcolm

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toxic Avenger & The Evil Dead
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Evil Dead, Earth Girls Are Easy, I've heard Transylvania 6-5000 has gotten some "cult" fame (at least according to the commentary), The Lost Boys . . . Gremlins or Beetlejuice count? I don't know what really makes a movie a "cult" movie.
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since Lupa stated that she doesn't really know what makes a movie a "cult" movie...I was wondering...what is everyone's definition of a cult movie? To me, a cult movie is a cheesy movie that doesn't do well at the box office, but later picks up a huge fan base or a "cult" following. I think the greatest example of a "cult" movie would be the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not a bad definition IMHO bigfoot. Occasionally though do you not find that some of the greatest cult movies are followed by some absolutely awful sequels (eg Phantasm, Tremors etc).

I would like to add:

They Live
Escape From New York
Trick or Treat

Noms.

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody remember "Forbidden Zone"? I have this on DVD and it makes "Rocky Horror" look the picture of sanity. In "Forbidden Zone", there's blackface, gun-toting teachers, rape jokes, early breakdancing, cross-dressing, a sixty-something Jewish man as a 12-year-old boy, Herve Villechaize as King Fausto, The Ruler Of The Sixth Dimension, cult actress Susan Tyrell as his queen, a frog butler, the Kipper Kids (you'll recognize them when you see them), lots of sex and violence, plenty of raw language, and nifty 30s and 40s music by people like Cab Calloway and Josephine Baker.

The whole movie was a project to commit the craziness of the Mystic Knights Of The Oingo Boingo to film. Danny Elfman himself plays Satan and performs a swinging parody of "Minnie The Moocher".

This movie is CULT! It's on DVD, too...Track it down.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...The Rock Steady Flamethrower

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kell
Rewind Curious
Member # 3420

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for kell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dirty dancing
girls just want to have fun
nightmare on elm street

Posts: 6 | From: sunderland | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Bladerunner"
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Repo Man.
Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SLEEPAWAY CAMP

I dont consider stuff like EVIL DEAD cult. Too me thats a horror movie.
My version of cult is strange fascination movies ...alot of them so bad they're good...with content that you just cant look away from. Films that you watch with your saner friends and they say "Huh? You actually LIKED that????"

Examples:
SLEEPAWAY CAMP
THE PIT
SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT
SWITCHBLADE SISTERS
TV movie BORN INNOCENT
TV movie DAWN:PORTRAIT OF A TEENAGE RUNAWAY

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Canyoudigit.   Email Canyoudigit.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Switchblade Sisters is amazing.

"WE'LL BE BACK, COS WERE THE JEZEBELLS"

Posts: 515 | From: Protector of the 80's Ladies. | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really love Lace, the angry little one who says almost every line through gritted teeth!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Supergirl' I hate(love?) this movie so much that I have to watch it every time its on: its such a terrible, awful film that one can't help but be sucked in by the sheer campness of it all: Faye Dunnaway's best work in my opinion: 'Chinatown', 'Bonnie & Clyde'? good films, but did she have a love poition in any of them? No, and where else can you see Lawrence Of Arabia waxing Shakesperian about the Phantom Zone? A camp classic.
Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
w/b Kash

Since a few of you mentioned "Evil Dead" up above, I suggest renting "Bubba Ho-tep"...it's a total scream. Then again, maybe not to all of you.

~Come and get it, you undead sack of s*h*i*t.

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I love Bruce Campbell so I dont know why I've put BUBBA HO TEP off for so long. Maybe I'll have to order that one.
clinty mc fly
Master Rewinder
Member # 2946

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for clinty mc fly   Email clinty mc fly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
karate kid
goonies
back to the future
+much more

Posts: 107 | From: Lincoln,uk | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bionic Bigfoot:
Since Lupa stated that she doesn't really know what makes a movie a "cult" movie...I was wondering...what is everyone's definition of a cult movie? To me, a cult movie is a cheesy movie that doesn't do well at the box office, but later picks up a huge fan base or a "cult" following. I think the greatest example of a "cult" movie would be the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

well said bigfoot....

that would be my definition as well. cause i couldn't classify DIRTY DANCING as a 'cult' movie at all. not to knock the person who mentioned it, but something along the lines of ROCKY HORROR, HEATHERS, RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD...are perfect examples in my book.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
Hey...I liked Bubba Ho-Tep as well. At the end it said that Elvis would be back and named another film they are working on. I hope they do make it. This could be a whole new wonderful franchise for Burce Cambell.
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Warriors!!!!!!
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
"...come out and pl-ay-ay!!!!!"

Bruce Campbell.......a jug of wine, a loaf of bread, and thou.....
My New Years Eve Date Of Choice....

Okay...that seals it...gotta buy BUBBA HO-TEP NOW!!!!!

Canyoudigit.
Rewind Guru
Member # 2703

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by mamamiasweetpeaches:
I really love Lace, the angry little one who says almost every line through gritted teeth!

Yes, did you get the DVD with the commentary? well worth it.

I'm a huge fan of Jack Hill.

I would like to add Brazil to my short list.

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Liquid Sky was as cult as you get. As for another one, I did see this movie Creepers (1985)recently, one of Jennifer Connely's first roles, I think it was retitled Phenomena for DVD. But it was kind of disturbing, anyone else see this one?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Giancarlo
Master Rewinder
Member # 2774

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Giancarlo   Email Giancarlo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite cult movies are:

Desperately seeking Susan
After hours
Evil Dead
Into the night
When Harry met Sally...

Posts: 119 | From: ITALY | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Canyoudigit I only have the vhs of SWITCHBLADE SISTERS. Maybe I need to upgrade.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home