iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What is the name of the movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the name of the movie
mickeynz
Rewind Curious
Member # 3523

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for mickeynz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all, I had a flashback memory of this 'seen-once-but-would-like-to-see-again' movie

two, or possibly three boys stumble across a way to generate an energy sphere, which initially makes a hole in the books of a basement as they initially didnt know how to control it.
Anyways.. they learnt how to control it.. and they could make it big enough to surround the computer that generated it and travel to outerspace (where it starts to get really corny) and they meet up with an alien. any ideas?

Posts: 1 | From: Plimmerton NZ | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The movie you are looking for is:

"Explorers" (1985)

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a lot of old threads appear to have been deleted/lost I couldn't find the Explorers thread I started so I'm jumping on this one.

I've just finished the simple comparison page for Explorers, comparing 5 different copies of the film; UK VHS / US laserdisc / UK VHS / US VHS / homebrew DVD.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool stuff Wizard. I agree the Homebrew DVD is the best. Excellent quality.

I know you love this movie and so do several other people. I really enjoyed the first half of the movie, but it loses me when they meet the aliens. What are your favorite parts?

If you're fan of "Explorers" this is a cool River Phoenix website that talks about his role in the movie:

River Phoenix Explorers

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a sec Wiz, I think I've seen that on the IMDB. I guessed that one of the names wandering around there would be you!

Hmm. Looking at the Aspect Ratios from those pictures, it doesn't look like the ball is 'oval', but it does seem slightly stretched horizontally.

Why can't they get these things right?!

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehe busted! yup I've started to post a little on the IMDB under the name 'apathetic', I avoid posting in areas for most films I like because the inhabitants are generally morons, but occasionally the stubborn morons go head-to-head with intelligent people and the threads can be hilarious.

The ovalness of the bubble on the DVD releases isn't very apparent on the thumbnail images but on my 28" widescreen tv and portable widescreen DVD player it's quite noticable when comparing it to my VHS and laserdisc copies, especially the circuitboard dream sequences when he flies down the tunnel sections.

ValleyCat, my favourite parts of the film are when they get the dreams, building the Thunder Road and testing it, the journey to them finally meeting the aliens is better than the meeting, I know the section when they finally meet doesn't go too well but without it the film wouldn't work.

One of my favourite moments is when they're walking home from the first test when Wolfgang accidentally gets trapped in the bubble and Darren asks how fast the thing can go, Wolfgang says they haven't even used one 10th of the power and shows him the little 9v battery the bubble is being powered by, the look on Darren's face is great when he realises the potential speed the bubble has.

[ 17. January 2005, 14:52: Message edited by: The Wizard ]

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Wizard, I like that part of the movie too. My favorite part is when Wolfgang is in the bubble looking into Lori Swenson's (Future Cindy Mancini) bedroom. I wanted one of those bubbles when I was kid.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home