iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Movie of the Day--Lucas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Movie of the Day--Lucas
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This drama from 1986 showed a very deep side to Corey Haim's acting. Probablly one of his best performance's in my opinion. It strayed away from anything else he did in the 80s, really in his career to date for that matter. He stars as Lucas a very lonely but lively young high schooler who falls in love with the new girl in town played by red head Kerri Green. This movie also showed a softer side to Charlie Sheen who befriended Lucas in the film. A very unattractive and unrecognizable Winona Ryder had a small part as a girl who really liked Lucas, but he always felt he was meant for something more.

Who could forget the scene when he runs out and tries to play football and gets clobbered then back at school everyone finally shows their appreciation for him. This is a unique film that was very well written and acted. What do you all think about Lucas?

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Lucas JLP!
It's one of those that wasn't mainstream....yet gets lots of televison replay......and lots of people know about it cause of that.

I love Corey Haim in it. He's so loveable. Kerri Green and his relationship was sooooo sweet. How hurt did you feel when they were under the overpass?.....and she had to break his heart....ouch! You could feel his pain. Charlie was very handsome in the movie too. The scene in the laundry room. The ending always makes me tear up....I love it! all happy tears that is.... [Smile]

Such an awesome movie.....

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it is a very feel good movie. It really makes you sad to know that kids are treated that way. But I remember this one girl that we went to school with and they always used to pass her germs around. I can still see exactly what she looks like and how much she cried. I wonder what ever happened to Teresa?
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2627

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucas is one of those movies that I can watch over and over. I think everybody did a good job in it. Winona Ryder looks awful in this movie, and Corey Haim actually liked her in real life while they were filming it? What was he thinking? Maybe it was just they way they had her hair fixed or something. Talk about a hair don't. [Eek!]
Posts: 944 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2627

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and great movie pick, Jlp. [Wink] You always do such a good job on the movies of the day.
Posts: 944 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks for the compliments I am on a roll!!! Look out for my movie of the day tomoorow. I haven't decided which one that I am going to do yet.
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Lucas. It is so classic about high school. It is funny how Kerri Green never knew where he lived for real, and it didn't matter to her either, or to anybody. They didn't really pick on him about that. But, it seemed like he had more of a problem with his family and where he lived, cause all his friends all loved him, because he was nice to them, that's what counts.

I love the coach's face when he is in slow motion trying to get Lucas to grab the ball and hold on to it, that cracks me up every time.

I liked that the were watching the FLY at the movies, that was cool. I wish we could still watch old movies now, cause they were teenagers in the 80's watching the classics, and thinking it was cool, just think what todays teenagers are really honestly missing out on. Alot of them have no clue of any of these movies that we love, and we know how cool they were, cause here we are still talking about them today.

Movies like Lucas are timeless.

My school colors were red and white too, so I liked that his school was the same as mine.

I always liked Corey Haim in Murphy's Romance too, he was around the same age when he did that one and Lucas.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lessthanzero
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3494

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for lessthanzero   Email lessthanzero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was a kid, I liked this but when I rented it again a year or so ago, I didn't care for it. I thought Haim's character was much less endearing than I'd remembered and I thought it resonated a lot less than other youth-oriented films of the time.

I would agree that Corey showed a lot more range in this film than his later films, but for all its no-substance, all-style approach, I still prefer Lost Boys.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find this movie as charming today as it was nearly 20 years ago.

~Throw it to Lucas!

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skatefan
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 3166

- posted      Profile for Skatefan   Email Skatefan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this movie. So many good parts:

- in the laundry room, when Maggie is telling the story about the guy who vomitted on her shoe

- Maggie and Cappy's first kiss

- Lucas and Maggie under the symphony

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
I just looked up this movie on imdb.com and I didn't remember Courtney Throne Smith and Jeremy Piven being in it. The tagline of this film is really cool: There is nothing wrong with being different! So true!!!

I am sure that there are many people in the world that think we are a little strange to devote so much time to this site. To each his own I always say.

McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the interesting thing, I wouldn't want to be Lucas' friend. I'd probably look at him funny too, cuz he seemed to go out of his way to be different. But as a movie character, I always liked it. The ending is completely unbelievable but still makes me smile. One of the really underrated things about it is the score by Dave Grusin. Very sensitive stuff.
Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home