iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The meaning of the Stitch...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The meaning of the Stitch...
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Due to popular demand (well, 1 or 2 questions anyway), I hereby explain the meaning of "stitch groover".

About 10 years ago, I had a wonky thyroid gland, and had to have most of it removed. The thyroid is kind of near your vocal chords, so to get in there, the surgeons had to cut open my throat. Cool, hey! So now I'm left with a funky scar, not just from the incision, but also at each point where it was stitched up (all my scars go chunky).

So that's where Stitch comes from.

As for the Groover, well, I'm just a groovy kind of guy. Start playing any music within earshot and I'm up and bopping away, much to the embarassment of any friends and family I happen to be with at the time.

I get a lot of questions about my scar, and I like to have a bit of fun. I used to tell people it happened because I rode a motorbike into a barbwire fence, but nowadays I use the story that a friend was throwing a cd across the room like a frisbee and it slashed my throat. You would be amazed at how many people believe that! I'm suprised it hasn't been done in a horror film yet.

If anyone else has some cool stories about the favorite scars (am I freaking you out yet?), feel free to share.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, how I wish I had stories as cool as yours. [Wink] Funny about the stories you make up, and hey, now I know what your name means!
Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool story. I was pondering it might be something like you just mentioned, but I wasn't sure. You see a name on here and wonder where did it come from. Also, when you take that 5 seconds to pick a name to start on The Rewind, little do you know it will stitch with you forever.

I do have one name that freaks me out still though
..it's Paul Shrimpton ...like who would make up such a scary name ya know? [Razz]

Also, I remember a movie called "I Come In Peace" and CDs were flying everywhere slicing and dicing a few people.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe I missed this thread, Muffy mentioned it to me, because of how cool she thought it was, and I always wondered where your name came from too.

I am a stitch-groover too. I have a scar above my right eyebrow- from 8 stitches.

When I was a Veternarian's assistant, I went to put a cat in a cage, and a dog barked, and scared it, it jumped up on my head, and sliced my forehead open, and I had to get 8 stitches. I remember my roommate saying it would have been cool if it would have happened a few weeks before for our Halloween party-cause it would have made for some cool special effects on my costume.

I remember I didn't want to go back to the doctor to get the stitches out, so I did it myself.

I think I am pretty groovy too, so there we have a common bond- [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a cool story I just remembered...
A few years ago when our local drive in was still open, they had a horror dusk til' dawn session, and anyone who dressed up in theme got in for free. This was only a few months after my throat was cut open, so it was still nice and fresh and I decided to go as Frankenstein's monster.
I raided my little brother and sisters things, and glued some plastic bolts onto the ends of my sisters hairband, which I put around the back of my neck, so that the bolts where sitting on either side of my neck.

Needless to say, I got in for free!

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, see I could have gone with you and been the Bride of Frankenstein, we would have made a lovely couple, and got all the candy!!! [Wink]
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valley, it took me ages to come up with that name - I'm deeply upset that you would stoop so low as to belittle the effort I put in......

Yours (posting under my real name now)

Arbuthnot Q. Nipplebottom.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul that was funny!!

Stitch this post is awesome. I love to learn a little about someone maybe I wouldn't know otherwise.....gives you insight into who they are.

I have something too. I lost a major amount of hearing in one of my ears when I was little. It's my thing to be teased about amongst my friends. Only because in loud situations I can't hear everything and then I get loud to make up for it "what....... what did I miss.......tell me!!!!!" That's me in a nut shell. Because of my hearing loss I somehow gained a bionic sense of smell......I can smell everything....which can be taken good or bad........haha!

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In that case, Muffy - Thank The Lord For Internet Friends! You can love them from a safe distance (even the ones from New Jersey....)

[Eek!]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there you go cracking me up again Paul.......haaaaaaaaa! [Big Grin]

and also [Eek!]

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Valley...I was thinking about I Come In Peace too when he mentioned the CD thing. Cool.
Great name Stitch! It's good that you can take something not too good and make something fun with it. Way to go. I have a scar too. It's on the side of my jaw. When people ask about it I usually tell them that there was this girl being messed with by a gang and I came riding in on a Harley and had to fight seven guys off of her and one of them slashed me with a switchblade before I put the mojo on him and his buddies and sent them all to the ER. I'm glad I know all that Kung-Fu! And my bionics help too.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking of Hellraiser 3 when he mentioned the CD throwing thing, doesn't one of the victims get a CD player implanted into them and shoot CDs? it's been years since I last saw it.
Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
Muffy, you remind me of a great comedy sketch which probably no-one else will find funny, but I will transcribe anyway.
Note - "New Idea" is an Australian women's magazine

Two deaf old ladies in a nursing home.
Old lady 1 :"Would you like to see my New Idea?"
Old lady 2 :"What?"
Old lady 1 :"Would you like to see my New Idea?"
Old lady 2 :"What is it?"
Old lady 1 :"What?"
Old lady 2 :"What is it?"
Old lady 1 :"It's a magazine"
Old lady 2 :"Don't be ridiculous Elsie, that's not a new idea, magazines have been around for years"

I guess you had to be there.

HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Internet nicknames are indeed a source of amusement.

When I first went on-line, I chose a nickname that someone gave me a long time ago. You see, lots of Italians have this thing where you put part of your first name with part of your last name and there you are. Example: Joseph Pugliano becomes Joey Pugs...get it?

So I thought nothing of entering chatrooms as Jenny Gags, cuz there's part of my first name with the first syllable of my very long Italian surname. You guessed it...I got surfed all the time by horny young punks: "Hey, Jenny...what do you gag on?"

Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Well, you should say it makes you gag when people use bad grammar- [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Razz]
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Stitch as long as you find it funny thats all the matters....... [Smile] That was cute,I laughed!

I get all the deaf old lady jokes thrown at me.....all the "aaaaaaaa sunny...let me pull out my megaphone" It's ok cause like you, I have a sense of humor about it....you have to find the humor in it..... [Big Grin]

HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ice: more like it makes me wanna hurl violently.
Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home