iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » "I study nuclear science..."

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "I study nuclear science..."
Tobey
Master Rewinder
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Tobey   Email Tobey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got into a discussion last night (I do that a lot). It was about the song "No woman no cry" and what that phrase really means.
It got me thinking about another "misunderstood" song, this one from the 80's; "My future's so bright, I gotta wear shades".
None of the others knew the song, so it didn't really help me make my point.

What I need you guys for, though, is... I know I have that song from a movie (probably an 80's movie, but maybe not...), but what movie??

[Confused]

Posts: 173 | From: Norway | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was in 'Something Wild' (1986) with Jeff Bridges and Melanie Griffifth, 'Campus Man' (1987), 'Dream A Little Dream' (1989) with the Corey's, and 'Kuffs' from 1992 with Christiam Slater.

It was performed by Timbuk 3, and here for everyone is the lyrics:

I study nuclear science, I love my classes
I got a crazy teacher, he wears dark glasses
Things are going great, and they're only getting better

I'm doin' all right, getting good grades
The future's so bright I gotta wear shades

I got a job waiting for my graduation
50 thou' and year will buy a lot of beer

Well I'm heavenly blessed and worldly wise
I'm a peeping tom techie with x-ray eyes

I study nuclear science, I love my classes
I got a crazy teacher, he wears dark glasses

I gotta wear shades...

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DREAM A LITTLE DREAM. D'oh! PUALSHRIMPTON beat me here!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tobey
Master Rewinder
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Tobey   Email Tobey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa!
Ok, the movie I was thinking about was the... or maybe it was... no, wait, it must have been...

Thanks, Paulshrimpton.
(Actually, I think "Kuffs" was the one. So not 80's. Bummer.)

[Cool]
(Wearing shades. Get it?)

Posts: 173 | From: Norway | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was also in The Allnighter from 1987. It starred Susanna Hoffs, Joan Cusack, and Deedee Pfiefer.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

It was also in the Episode of Head of the Class with Howard Hessman and Robin Givens where they make a time capsule as a class project. That was the first time that I heard that song. Probably somewhere about 87 or so.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PhoenixFiresky
Rewind Curious
Member # 8120

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for PhoenixFiresky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was in the 1988 movie My Best Friend is a Vampire, also, I believe.
Posts: 1 | From: Omaha | Registered: Jul 2009 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I Melt with You" is another one like that where people miss the nuclear holocaust reference and just assume it's a straight-forward love song.

...and of course there's always "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood for the 'over people's heads' list. [Big Grin]

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home