iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Which Genre of Film truly spoke to you in the 80s?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which Genre of Film truly spoke to you in the 80s?
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay this was prompted by Earth Angel's analysis to Savannah's 80s presentation post. Of all of the themes that were explored during the 80s which would you have to say was your favorite.

Some examples would obviously be the teen flicks that dealt with kids dealing with life from different sides of the tracks. Teen love, drama, and romance. Best picks for this category would have to be Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire (okay thats college), Pretty in Pink, For Keeps, Secret Admirerer, Porky's 1-3, .... there are plenty more.

What about all of the action flicks that originated during the 80s? Die Hard series, Arnold Schwarzenegger's flicks, Stallone, Eastwood. What was so unique about this kind genre during the 80s. My guess would have to be that the visual and special effects looked real. They are so far off that it isn't even believeable in today's films.

What about some hardcore drama. Terms of Endearment, Sophie's Choice, Out of Africa, The Color Purple, .... once again just to name a few. What was so unique about them. Is the acting better then than it is today. What makes the dramas of the 80s stand out so much.

Lastly, let's look at the comedy. This could also pertain to a lot of the teen flicks that we think of like Sixteen Candles. But what about the comedies of Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, John Candy, Martin Short, or Eddie Murphy? These comic genius's saw their brightest time of their careers during this decade. Okay--maybe not all true about Bill Murray, he was awesome in the 90s as well.

This is just something that I thought was interesting to bring up, any input that you all give would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Kids going on adventures" is the coolest theme, for me.

Goonies, E.T., The Lost Boys, Stand By Me, The Black Cauldron, IT, The Neverending Story, Gremlins, Beetlejuice. . .

Whenever I see one of these, it takes me back, and I can remember the friends & family who watched it with me.

Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes that is a whole nother topic!!! Good one Horned King!
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Action & Sci-Fi were my bag in the '80s. Still are!
Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the kids adventure films eg goonies, flight of the navigator back to the future and even karate kid (not really adventure but...come on, you all know you went around after pretending that you could do karate) etc....make me feel like a kid again, coz I can remember being able to imagine that I could have adventures like that.......but obviously all the teen angst movies that I was too young to relate to in the 80's have since become favourites...for being an insight in to an era, that I was part of but too young to enjoy this aspect of.
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my pick would be romantic comedies. even though i love horror films and regular comedy, the romantic stuff "spoke" to me more. movies like valley girl (the romeo & juliet plot), private school, fire with fire, some kind of wonderful...
all those movies where you wanna see the boy and girl together in the end, plus all the laughs.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
What do you think about the Sci-Fiction of today versus sci-fi of the 80s?? Do you think that the stories were more real during the 80s and things are clouded to much in todays films with all of the advanced technology in them?
Brode
Master Rewinder
Member # 3732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brode   Author's Homepage   Email Brode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stories in Scifi nowadays are no more brilliant and no more stupid than it was in the 80s. For every Close Encounters, there is a Spacecamp. Today, for every Matrix, there is a Day After Tomorrow.

As for why 80s action was so popular, it has to do with politics. Most 80s action movies follow closely with Reagan's philosophies, there are a few rules you will find in most every 80s action movie: Foreigners are not to be trusted, gun control doesn't work, law enforcement doesn't work (think of all the "YOU'RE A LOOSE CANNON!" sequences there were in the 80s).

I'd talk more, but I just broke my keyboard by spilling Alphabits on it.

Posts: 267 | From: Manitoba | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a really hard question! All of them? Probably movies about people triumphing over events or life or whatever. Sometimes this was really basic (working girl, 9 to 5, secret of my success) and sometimes this was way more complex (Out of Africa - I LOVE THIS MOVIE BY THE WAY, Less than Zero, even 1984). I was also a massive sucker for the girl/guy from the wrong side of the tracks movie (GJWHF, Outsiders, Pretty in Pink, Breakfast Club, Licence to Drive, etc.) Wow, Jessie, cool but tough question! Love it!
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, Brode, totally agree with your take on the Reagan era. But I have to confess that I did love spacecamp when I was kid - yeah I know it was bad but it was kind of fun!
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to respond to this post, but my love of 80's movies is so wide spread...I can't just fit my favorites into one genre. I was leaning toward romantic comedies like Valley Girl & Can't Buy Me Love, but then dance movies like Breakin' & Footloose or movies like Goonies, April Fool's Day, Terminator, Night of The Comet popped in my head. No other way to say it, I enjoy all movies and it depends on my mood which kind I'm watching tonight. [Cool]
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrashesParties n TheValley
Rewind Mobster
Member # 2903

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for CrashesParties n TheValley   Email CrashesParties n TheValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HELLO......Everybody!!!

Good Question/Topic JESSIE. It would have to be..."Teen-Comedy"

Films like-- Fast Times At Ridgemont High [/B] [B]Ferris Bueller's Day Off The Heavenly Kid Just One Of The Guys The Last American Virgin Secret Admirer Sixteen Candles etc.

These films kinda reminds me of my "Wild & Crazy" Times in High School....Smoking in the bathroom,Cutting Class to hang out in the CITY like Ferris,SEX!,Party's,Friends useing DRUGS. All the Teen Angst that went on in these films i can relate too!!!

Posts: 2221 | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Evil ventriloquist dummies and puppets movies ! ! ! Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h aha h ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ah aha h aha ha ! ! !
Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home