iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Let's talk commercials...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Let's talk commercials...
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any good 80s ones on tape anywhere? I found one at the backend of an old videotape, where a kid mixes tang and the whole kitchen glows orange, wind blows hard and his parents have to put on reflectors. Musta rewound it and watched 10 times cuz it really took me back. Hadn't seen it in like 15 years.
Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in the UK, there were some great, but instantly forgettable, commercials. The only one that I really recall well was one for McCain's Oven Pizza. This was the first real "buy it and bake it" pizza available in the UK, sold on the premise that the toppings were piled so high "Bet you can't eat one without getting some on your nose!"

Highly amusing at the time, and irritating enough to remain with me for twenty years....

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On your nose, LOL. Envisioning that now I could see that happening.
Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE ad of the 80s hada be Mat Le Blanc's Heinz ketchup ad u know the one where he balnces the bottle on a wall just in time to get the sauce on a hotdog...class ;)

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always adored the Coca-Cola commercials from the 80's.

It's the real thing!

You can't beat the feeling.

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brown
Master Rewinder
Member # 89

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the Gillette one w/ the full song

"the most of who you are.. father to son.. its what we've always done.. Gillett, the best a man can get" ha,

Posts: 296 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
born in the eighties
Master Rewinder
Member # 627

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for born in the eighties   Email born in the eighties   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im from london....

i remember the old spice-after shave advert

what about the milk tray-james bond theme advert

my favourite was the apples, using bugsey malone in it, really good!!!#

please dont forget Michael J fox pepsi advert, classsiiick!!!!!

Posts: 109 | From: london | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
born in the eighties
Master Rewinder
Member # 627

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for born in the eighties   Email born in the eighties   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
paul shrimpton,

do u remember the mr t ice lollies???

and the green frog ice lollies??

ahhhhhh those days??

Posts: 109 | From: london | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Blake
Ace Rewinder
Member # 75

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh i remember those ice lollies i used 2 buy a lot of those Mr T ones . There was teddy bear lollies aswell
Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
willman85
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1215

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for willman85   Email willman85   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did there used to be a "Made in Wales" advert or am I just thinking of NTNN?
Posts: 72 | From: Hertfordshire UK | Registered: Nov 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, there actually was a commercial advertising the wonderful opportunities for companies who wanted to relocate to the land of the valleys, singing miners and nervous sheep.

Of course, the parody of this by the Not The Nine O'Clock News team was much better :)

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  | Report this post to a Moderator
carebearstare
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 658

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for carebearstare   Email carebearstare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an 80s commercial on my Goonies tape from tv - it was a Pepsi commercial. It took place in the future with flying cars. There was a teacher leading an archeological team to an 80s style home for a dig. The kids said, "Professor, what's this?" about various objects. One was an electric guitar, and the professor told them that kids used to gyrate to loud music with it. Then one of the kids found a familiar-looking object. "Professor, what about this?" He said, "Odd." He brought it over to a machine that scans it clean of all dirt, and there stands...a Coke bottle. "Professor, what is it?" whispered a student. The professor picks it up in his hand and intones, "I have no idea."

It ends with - Pepsi, the Choice of a New Generation.

Remember that one?

Posts: 29 | From: NY USA | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
jonesy
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 867

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for jonesy   Email jonesy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe nobody mentioned where's the beef commercials. I used to love those. And those ever famous Lenny's I mean Denny's commercials
Posts: 19 | From: brownsburg, In usa | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those in the UK, my little 80s Ads site may be of interest to you:
http://linux.tc3net.com/darwin/80s/adverts/ with a selection of downloadable adverts.

Who else remembers "This is the age of the train", the Cadburys Caramel bunny, "I bet he drinks Carling Black Label", "ello Tosh, gotta Toshiba?" etc.

Last year I picked up a Betamax video recorder with some tapes, in amongst the programmes on them there were a heap of 80s adverts, earlier this year I picked up a heap more tapes and a 2nd Betamax machine.
So I eventually got round to digitising most of them in and ended up with a CD of nearly 270 adverts in DivX format. I'm in the process of saving up for a 2nd PC with DVD burner and decent video digitising hardware to convert video to DVD and will be doing a DVD of the adverts, probably early next year.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite 80's commercials were those found on MTV!! Remember all the little moonmen commercials, the rocket blasting off and celebrities like Cyndi Lauper, Pat Benetar and Billy Idol saying "I want my MTV!" Those were the best!!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bridgette Marie
Master Rewinder
Member # 88

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bridgette Marie   Email Bridgette Marie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Guys,

I'm from the U.S., so I don't know if these commercials were in Europe, but I remember really loving commercials that were really quricky or had music in them, I guess cause I was a little girl and liked to be entertained,haha.

Like, does anyone remember those commercials "Pure cane suger is the one" with all the hawaiien kids and the sugar cane? Or what about that guy, I wish I could remember his name, who sold t.v's and was always like "Buy today, or I'll go crazy crazy crazy!" Sound familier? That commercial used to come on all the time.

I also used to love all the commercials for toys, being that I was a kid at the time. The 80's was the best decade to be a kid because there were so many great toys and commercials for toys. Everything from My Pretty Pony to Snoopy Snowcone to Teddy Ruxpin. Is it just me, or does it seem like there are a lot less commercials for toys nowadays?

Posts: 228 | Registered: Nov 2001 | Site Updates: 0  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home