iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » DVD problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DVD problems
spyke65
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1746

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for spyke65   Email spyke65   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed on another thread (VHS extinction) someone had mentioned something about how DVDs can suck at times since they tend to skip and/or freeze.

I have encountered this problem MANY times - brand new DVDs right out of the package will freeze and/or skip either half-way or towards the end.

There's nothing more maddening than getting really into a movie and the screen freezing up within the last 10-15 of it! Argh!

So, does anyone have any suggestions or "tech help" on how to fix this problem?

Sometimes me using a can of air and spraying out my DVD player and the DVD itself and re-playing it seems to work. I've cleaned my DVD head too -but that only seems to work for a movie or two!

So, any other tips??

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Ahh, something that I am good at, troubleshooting,

The biggest thing that I can tell you is "You get what you pay for"

I don't know what DVD player you have but the I know that the SONY that I have had since 99 has been nothing but my best friend (knocking on wood)a 50 dollar DVD player is exactly what it is. I would never buy something that doesn't have a good following or something that isn't proven. I knew actually in 99 that the DVD industry was going to take off, so I spent an unheard of 400 dollars on mine at the time. Which was a better move than trying to buy into the miserable Minidisc player or recorder. IF your BRAND NEW DVD's aren't working with your player, that could be the reason, if it's brand new there is always the possibility of buying a lemon. It is in essence a CD player but better. Same rules apply.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Devolution:

I knew actually in 99 that the DVD industry was going to take off, so I spent an unheard of 400 dollars on mine at the time.

same here. i paid around 400 (arrg) for mine as well when the players were first coming out. i have had the same player ever since.

now, i may be wrong, but i thought that most dvds have that little 1-2 second PAUSE halfway through the movie? i never took it as a defect, cause it seems to happen on brand new movies that i have purchased.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spyke65
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1746

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for spyke65   Email spyke65   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I have a Phillips - which I paid $140 in 2001 and it has played MANY DVDs on it!

Maybe it IS time for a new one! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely sounds like it's time for a new player, the only time I had severe trouble playing DVDs on one of my players was when it was dying, it was under guarantee so I got my money back and now I have a new player that was about half the price (£38) that'll play anything I throw at it, plus it has practically every output under the sun - composite/s-video/scart/rgb/progressive YUV/digital audio/digital optical audio/full 5.1 decoding including DTS/and a couple of headphone sockets on the front [Big Grin]

It used to be you needed to spend a lot of money on a DVD player to ensure all your discs would play ok but the technology has moved on so quickly and the advancements in the laser control have ensured that the cheap players today can be just as good, if not better than the expensive players of years ago at playing scratched discs.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ronnie:
now, i may be wrong, but i thought that most dvds have that little 1-2 second PAUSE halfway through the movie? i never took it as a defect, cause it seems to happen on brand new movies that i have purchased.

The reason there's a pause is that the player has to switch reading layers in the middle of playing the film, most players will have a split second pause while the laser changes frequency to read the 2nd layer because they don't have a large enough read buffer to cope without pausing slightly.
The only DVD player I've come across that doesn't have the layer change pause is my portable one, I think this is because it has a larger read buffer than standard players to ensure there's no audio/video skipping when you're listening/watching on the move.

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My biggest scream of all was when my Back to the Future dvd stuck toward the end of the film. I tried it in everyone else's unit and it still doesn't work. Should of sent it in to Universal but watching the hell out of the special features.

But I just chalk it up to every new update of technology having some sort of glitch. VHS tapes get eaten, dvds skip or freeze. Perfection will come someday.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Wizard:
The reason there's a pause is that the player has to switch reading layers in the middle of playing the film, most players will have a split second pause while the laser changes frequency to read the 2nd layer because they don't have a large enough read buffer to cope without pausing slightly.
The only DVD player I've come across that doesn't have the layer change pause is my portable one, I think this is because it has a larger read buffer than standard players to ensure there's no audio/video skipping when you're listening/watching on the move.

good to know. thanks for explaining WIZ. [Smile]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home