iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Extra/Actor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Extra/Actor
herman
Senior Rewinder
Member # 810

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for herman   Email herman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what to do. I would love to become an actor very badly. The trouble is i'm not that handsome and i'm not to ugly. My parents think that I will never become famous. Does anybody have any suggestions? Or opinions? I am by means that talented, either. I can't juggle 5 things at a time. I need a second opinion? All my life I wanted to become an actor. Can anyone who has ties or knows anybody in the business help me? I am not related to anyone famous.
Posts: 76 | From: Troy, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, well...self esteem is your first step.

Next is to forget what anyone says. My dream as well is to be in entertainment, either acting or writing. I learned a long time ago to say the hell with my family or friend's opinion, it just fed the fire more to succeed.

In terms of starting out, extras is tough. The work is sparse and a lot of travelling is involved. Being "ugly" wouldn't be a problem, as background performers are only really seen out of focus or in the distance.

Another avenue to break in may be indy films. You may get paid little or sometimes nothing, but building credits is the important thing. Backstage.com is a great place to find work for an unknown. It's only 10 bux a month and there's a lot of casting calls for newbies.

Best of luck, Herman.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
herman
Senior Rewinder
Member # 810

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for herman   Email herman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks McFly. But is there any site besides backstage.com that is free and you don't have sign up?
Posts: 76 | From: Troy, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
herman
Senior Rewinder
Member # 810

Member Rated:
Thanks McFly. But is there any site besides backstage.com that is free and you don't have sign up?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do whatever you want in life, and don't let anyone stop you. To me alot of the actors that are out there now, I don't think are great looking. There are a ton of people in the entertainment industry that have 0 talent and 0 looks and yet are millionaires, and famous- a couple I can think of are Kid Rock and Eminem, and Lil Kim. Tim Allen isn't gorgeous, or William H. Macey, or Steven Buschemi, and alot of the actors we all love, are old now. I never thought Bruce Willis or Arnold Schwartzenegger was good looking. It is just they have the personality it takes that draws you to them, they aren't afraid to take chances, and be emotional and being in front of the camera-that's what you have to over come, is being scared of what other people think of you. It doesn't matter what you look like.
I always think that half the people that are famous just lucked in to it, they were just in the right place at the right time, but they are ordinary people, that if they weren't famous would blend in to a crowd.
I think being famous would be a tough life, I have said that before, about how you really have to be really well put together emotionally and mentally to be able to handle such extreme pressure.
Good Luck, and have a good time doing whatever it is that makes you happy.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh....I just saw your in New York, Herman....my friend is a stand up comic, he works on the David Letterman show. He also teaches an acting workshop in New York City, you can contact him through his website...it is www.eddiebrill.com He has been in alot of B movies, but he has also worked with every major celebrity out there. Contact him through his website, and check it out, it will tell you on there when he is doing them, dates and everything. Let me know if you do it. Good Luck.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
herman
Senior Rewinder
Member # 810

Member Rated:
I can't memorize lines though. Is everyone in the world famous? Am I the only one in the world that isn't famous? Help.
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Herman, there is definate hope for you...everyone seems to be famous, because of the realiy stuff everywhere. You can get on a reality show, they sure don't have to memorize anything, they have no experience, most of them have no looks, and they luck out, and then they are on the front page of all the tabloids, with their private life splatter every which way, which is always a thing to look forward to. So, don't ever let anyone tell you in this day and age,that there is no hope,when talent is the last thing they look for anymore.
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herman:
Here are a few suggestions (though you may have heard them before from other people):

1. Don't get discouraged. Don't let anyone or anything stop you from your dream.
  2. Take acting lessons. Also, voice/singing lessons, even dancing lessons. (The last ones might come in handy if there's a part in a musical.)
  3. Get involved in local theatre and community theatre groups.
  4. If you like comedy acting, or like to make people laugh, get involved in an improvisatory group. Second City is the most famous example, but I'm sure there's gotta be at least one local improv group in New York.
  5. Line up as many auditions as possible. I saw this morning show when actress Mimi Rogers was a guest. She advised young performers to not take auditioning too seriously. Go into the part and you got your five minutes to show the director/producer what you can do with a part on the script. Then you leave.
  6. When you do audition, go into the place being confident but also realizing that nine times out of 10 --- or more accurately, 99 times of 100 --- that you won't get the part. So when you do read your lines, you might as well have as much fun as you can. If you get rejected, don't take it personal either.
  7. Get stage training first. Don't go into thinking you'll get an acting job right away in movies and TV. Movies and TV roles pay better and offer some sort of security than the stage. But for any young performer, stage acting is a great learning experience and training ground for a career.
  8. You wrote "I'm not that handsome and I'm not too ugly". Don't worry about your looks. Most actors are supporting performers or what as known as "character actors". Not everyone will have a matinee look.
  9. Don't get hung up on getting small roles. The supporting actor/actresses are the backbone of the business. People come out to see the featured star, but without the supporting actor or character actor, there would be no play or show.
  10. Learn a new trade. The best of luck to you. But remember the odds of making it in show biz is very difficult. If you don't make it, then maybe it just wasn't meant to be. So you will need something to fall back on for a rainy day, therefore, you might want to try to learn a new trade or job.
  11. To prevent yourself from getting too depressed over a lack of acting opportunities, think of acting as a "hobby", instead of a profession. Very few actors (even members of the Screen Actors Guild union) are actually working in stage, movies, or TV. Be prepared for long bouts between any acting gigs. I know it's a cliche, but it's true: lots of cashiers, waiters, waitresses, valet parking attendants, etc., are would-be actors waiting for their big break.

Best of luck to you! [Smile]

As DJ Casey Kasem would say, "Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars."

[Cool]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home