iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » 80s film of the day #18

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 80s film of the day #18
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today film: Clash of the Titans (1980). Okay I am sorry for anyone who is a fan, but today's post will be dogging this movie big time. I just caught a little of this last night. Terrible visual effects. The film looks like it should be in black and white and made by the Japanese. I cannot believe how well the effects were in Star Wars, and this film is post that. Why would they even bother. And what was with that mechanical owl, were they trying to be like R2D2? I am sorry once again, but this film was lacking big time.

What do you all think of the film?

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaymi
Master Rewinder
Member # 1434

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jaymi   Email Jaymi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lots o' drugs to make this one//
Posts: 348 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Point made, but name another movie in 1980 that had great special effects that wasn't made by George Lucas.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaymi
Master Rewinder
Member # 1434

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jaymi   Email Jaymi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can't think of one...Tron maybe???? [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 348 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw "Clash of the Titans" when it first came out. I can't say that it was all that great. As far as I'm concerned, it is just a minor b-movie adventure fantasy story, but part of jlp937's following quote got my attention:

quote:
...Terrible visual effects. The film looks like it should be in black and white and made by the Japanese. I cannot believe how well the effects were in Star Wars, and this film is post that. Why would they even bother...
Jlp, I respect your opinion, but that comment about the special effects is a bit unfair. So, I'm going to have to respond here.

First of all, that movie's special effects were done by the legendary Ray Harryhausen, who was best known for his sci-fi b-movies from the 50's and 60's. He used a stop-frame motion animation technique throughout his career. "Clash of the Titans" was the last movie project Ray worked on the special effects personally.

OK, so it isn't anything like what "Star Wars" or "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" was, but it still interesting to watch, if only because they were trying to use 50's-type effects in an 80's movie.

If they made that movie now, it would've easily been done by CGI and other computer-related gimmicks. But Harryhausen preferred to work alone, with no assistants or crew behind him. And I think it was neat that the filmmakers wanted to pay homage to Harryhausen's career by using him for this film, just one last time. Also, keep in mind that he was about 60 years old when he worked on this movie, so I think that he was probably too old and set in his ways to try new styles of animated special effects which has obviously became advanced during the late 60's and the 70's.

It is my understanding that the DVD version of this movie does have an interview with Harryhausen.

Granted, the movie looks dated and hokey nowadays. Hell, I would say that it looked dated and hokey even when it first came out!

Just take it for what it is: a 50's movie that happened to get made in the 80's.

My biggest problem with this movie was that cast really wasn't given a chance to do all that much.

No, this isn't a great (nor even good) movie by any means. But if I were given a choice between this movie and any of the "Lord of The Rings" movies, I'll reluctantly take this one.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HipsterMom27
Rewind Jedi
Member # 2161

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HipsterMom27   Email HipsterMom27   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recall seeing a review of this movie upon its debut calling it "Thud of the Beefcake." That always stuck in my subversive mind. I think the Harry Hamlin-Ursula Andress relationship got more press than the movie. Conventional wisdom of the time was that Laurence Olivier, Maggie Smith, et al, should have been ashamed of themselves for taking a part in this turkey.
Posts: 1019 | From: NYS | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Clash of the Titans and watch it whenever it's on. I saw it when I was a kid, loved it then love it now. The story is actually kinda cool if you look past the fx and use your own imagaination.

MAybe I appreciate it more beacause I was a kid when I first saw it, but it's still one of my fav films of the 80s. [Smile]

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray Harryhausen was always kinda like the Nick Park of his day (Nick Park, for those that don't know, makes the Wallace and Grommit movies and made Chicken Run a few years back - all in what he calls 'claymation') It's all hand-made, stop-motion stuff, which even now is real tough to do. back then it was even tougher, and nearly impossible to get them to interact with live footage at the same time. Even though it might look a little ropey by today's standards, Harryhausen's work on this and other movies will always be sheer genius.

and just as an aside - this will finally be my 500th post!!!!

- Paul

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's about time Paul! [Big Grin]

Congrats! [Razz]

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paulie wanna cracker. lol, much love Paul, and congratz. Thanx for making this site everyithing it is and more!

Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home