iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Where is Nick??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where is Nick??
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I joined this board, I've never seen Nick the moderator post anything.

I was just wondering where he is, does he ever show himself on this board or does he only coordinate the movie section?

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there!

Nick does post, on occasion, but as the owner of the site, there are a whole host of jobs to do as well, and Nick is currently the only one doing this. My responsibility as moderator only really came about as a result of the huge growth of the site and it's membership - suddenly it's like the site became famous, and as such there are thousands of emails (literally) each day to wade through, many of them spam, but also many of them items that need action of some kind, like additions to the site, corrections, extra info on movies that are already covered. Each of these need verification before posting, and newly submitted reviews take a lot of time. I became moderator purely to relieve some of the pressure from Nick, who himself does this site as a hobby. The very small amounts that he gets from clicks on the various links go towards paying the costs of hosting the site, and these are barely covered each month - so it's a real labor of love with him. (So everyone please try to use the links, especially when looking for a movie to buy?)

Add to this the recently launched 70s site, and the proposed 90s site, and there's not much time left for his full-time job and his family.

I do know that he reads many of the posts, and will no doubt reply to this thread, because the growth of the site both in numbers and popularity is a great reflection on the work he puts in.

Still, deathbystereo80, there's one consolation - you get to read much more of my rambling posts this way!!!!

- Paul

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all love you Paul, so we are glad when you write. I am glad you said that about the links, I wondered if there was a way that this site made money, because of all the time involved..like you said..there should be something worthwhile for doing all that. I wondered about maintaing it, I myself don't ever want to see it ever leave, so if there is any way I could ever make a donation to help keep everything running, just tell me how. Thanks.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by isis9968:
I wondered about maintaing it, I myself don't ever want to see it ever leave, so if there is any way I could ever make a donation to help keep everything running, just tell me how. Thanks.

Yes, that's exactly something that was going through my mind.
This site has become so important to so many people, you guys provide this great place for all of us to come together, and I'm extremely thankful for that! I can't say enough how much I appreciate that someone puts so much effort into this to make this such a wonderful site and board. THANKS, GUYS!!! [Smile]

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when I starting posting here a little over a year ago, Nick was on quite a bit. There was only a few posts a day, and a few pages went up every couple of days.

It seems as though this site changed overnight! Suddenly there are a number of great people to talk to, and the updates have been almost daily.

It would be nice to talk to NIck again but I know we all understand he is busy and we support him.

Anytime I buy an 80s favorite, I make sure to use the provided links. I wanna do anything I can to help this site. [Smile]

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, guys. I'm sure that everyone has been drawn into the 'Fast-Rewind Family' because we are different from other sites - totally non-commercial, and covering movies because we love them, not because they were made by Warner Bros or Paramount or whatever corporation pays the bucks.

I can only speak for myself, but over the past few years I've grown accustomed to the people on this site, and am proud to both know you all and to share this 80's experience with you all [Embarrassed]

For Information, here's a site where you can find out a little background info on the site and how it has grown - and also leave reviews, as I have!

Alexa Stats for Fast-Rewind.com

Paul

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link Paul, I wrote a review for the site this afternoon. I love telling people about this place because it's so wonderful. I hope more people write reviews, too much is not enough.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Webmaster
Member # 404

407 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone [Smile] don't worry, I am still alive! [Smile]

I couldn't have written a better explanation than Paul's. My seeming absence from these boards is only a function of my increased Real-Life(tm) workload and the seemingly exponential increase in trivia/locations/movie submissions that have to be done. Even so, I'm sometimes over a month behind the trivia and locations stuff and several months behind in movie submissions. [Frown]

The other thing that takes up a lot of time is keeping the "how to buy" engine up to date. Titles are forever being released, deleted or changed and that is very hard to keep up with. Thanks to all of you who use our buying links. The money involved is often trivial but adds up over time. This site has never made a profit in money but I think has been so worth it to all the fans including me. Not a day goes by without me learning something interesting about a movie from a visitors submission...

The 70s site has also involved a lot of infrastructure changes behind the scenes and this has taken time to work out and make right.

Like Paul, I am very proud of all of you making this place such a friendly and worthwhile 80s home on the web. [Smile]

Posts: 1026 | From: The '80s | Registered: Feb 2000 | Site Updates: 407  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home