iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Willow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Willow
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was on the other day so I watched it. I still totally love this movie! I always loved all the fantasy films that came out in the 80s. They had comedy, drama and fantasy. Movies in the 80s were so much fun.

Now days, with the exception of The Lord Of The Rings, movies always have to have some huge explanation for why something is magical or different. Instead of just letting someone enjoy a film for what it is, they try to mix it with a realistic tone.

Sometimes that works, but sometimes we need movies like Willow that just let us escape to a different world where magic and monsters are real.

I also think Val Kilmer was hilarious as Madmartigan along with Kevin Pollack as a Brownie.
I also remember the score being beautiful. This is always a great movie to watch with your family during the Holidays. [Smile]

What do you guys think?

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Ali, sorry to say that I can't stand this movie, I don't know, it is a little much for me, maybe it's just me, and I wasn't in to it at the time.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love the movie, willow! i thought everything about it was great, except all those little people used to scare the crap out of me. sorry if that sounds rude? i was just a kid. but i agree that val's role was hilarious.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devo, I can't believe you don't like Willow. I'm just speechless. [Eek!]
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nothinlikebefore
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for nothinlikebefore   Email nothinlikebefore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have met a variety of people that either love or hate Willow. I'm not sure why that is. I'm a Willow fan, I have a crooked twig I found that I call "the Willow stick," or I did. I remember thinking how cool the morphing was when I used to watch it.
Posts: 93 | From: texas | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry too Ali, but I absolutely hate Willow, and everything about it. It is true, you either love it or hate it, I don't think there is a middle ground on that movie.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Willow, how can you go wrong w/ Vl=al Kilmer?lol.

Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banshee
Master Rewinder
Member # 1829

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Banshee   Email Banshee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second Devo and Isis on this one. This is the worst type of movie. If I was to come up with one word to criticise it, it would be twee. Who'd have thought that the directing powerhouse, Ron Howard, would go on to do the incredible 'Far and Away'. [Big Grin]
Posts: 125 | From: Surrey, U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, but I am not a fan of what I call "fantasy/sword and sorcery" type of films. And for that reason, I did not particularly enjoy "Willow".

That also explains why I am not interested in anything to do with LOTR, the "Harry Potter" series, or "Legend" (1986) which starred Tom Cruise. (I *DID* like "Excalibur" (1981), though!)

I realize some people enjoy those kinds of movies, but I'm just not one of them.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horses for Courses, I guess.

I much prefer Willow to Far And Away, maybe because of Tom Cruise. I can manage Legend (probably because of Mia Sara!) but of all three, Willow is best for me. I just enjoyed it more, and that's my real measure of a movie.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banshee
Master Rewinder
Member # 1829

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Banshee   Email Banshee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...incredible 'Far and Away'.
Apologies, Paul, but sometimes my sarcastic nature gets the better of me. [Embarrassed] 'Far and Away' is actually far, far worse.
Posts: 125 | From: Surrey, U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very true. I suspected as much - wasn't sure if you meant 'incredible' or 'inedible'.....

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Steven, how come you don't like fantasy flicks? I love the LOTR films. I guess I just don't know why someone would hate Willow. [Frown] Val Kilmer was so funny to be and it was just an entertaining film.
Smayt Shatner
Rewind Shaft -Can u dig it?
Member # 1500

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Smayt Shatner   Email Smayt Shatner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starring Val Kilmer as Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones in a frock......Madmartigan.
Posts: 1201 | From: under everyone's bed...watching and waiting. | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home