iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » O/T No Doubt's new song 80's remake (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: O/T No Doubt's new song 80's remake
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know alot of you guys on the board like 80's music, so I thought this might be of interest to you. If you get a chance, check out the new No Doubt song. It's a cover of Talk Talk's "It's My Life." I love it. What do you think? [Big Grin]
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I used to fancy Molly Ringwald
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1884

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for I used to fancy Molly Ringwald   Email I used to fancy Molly Ringwald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cindymancini:
I know alot of you guys on the board like 80's music, so I thought this might be of interest to you. If you get a chance, check out the new No Doubt song. It's a cover of Talk Talk's "It's My Life." I love it. What do you think? [Big Grin]

I heard it on the radio the other day. I loved Talk Talk and that song is really good.

I never usually like cover versions and I have to say this one is pretty poor.

Posts: 67 | From: London,Uk | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this went on in the car the other day and me and my friend had a fight. He wouldnt believe it was a re-make. Im screamin "TALK TALK!!!!" at him.Now Im tryin to download it for him. non-believer.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Sorry Cindy, I don't agree, I have had this talk with my girlfriend dozens of times, and we both feel that if you are going to "remake" a song, then it should at least sound different. Like Blinded by the Light or something like that. All it is therefore as you said is a cover, I don't consider it a good thing, No Doubt is talented all by themselves, they don't need to play someone elses songs.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spyke65
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1746

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for spyke65   Email spyke65   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about that cover version of Don Henley's "Boys of Summer" - ugh. How dare they!!
Posts: 90 | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spyke what are you talkin about? I thought the Ataris pulled it off beautifully.

Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I agree with Spyke, I don't think that it has the same passion as the original. It's just a lot of rockin. Not that rockin is bad, but it's not the same.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TresFoxy
Rewind Maestro
Member # 542

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TresFoxy   Email TresFoxy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I don't know about covers of 80's songs but I do love 80's covers of 60's songs. I never knew that Tiffany's "I think we're alone now" was a remake and after finding out [Big Grin] I still like Tiffany's version... But as for new covers I feel the original is still the best but I will say that I like new found glory's version of "Glory of Love" but I will have Peter Cetrea's version playing at my wedding though....
Posts: 808 | From: MI, USA | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose
Master Rewinder
Member # 2033

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rose   Email Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very sorry, but song remakes are a sore spot with me. I dont know who remade it, but one of my all time favorite songs was trashed to bits, "take on me" by A-ha. I still listen to Aha to this very day and have their new album "lifelines", the remake was definitely different if that was what they were going for. Also, who told Sixpence none the richer they could ruin "Dont Dream its Over" by Crowded House? I dont even listen to the radio anymore. Everytime I do, I hear something that breaks my heart and I have to turn it off..
Posts: 150 | From: Lakewood, WA | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TresFoxy
Rewind Maestro
Member # 542

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TresFoxy   Email TresFoxy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reel Big Fish did the re ~ make of Take on Me which I really liked but I like Ska so I guess it is ones own opinion of course.Still, I must agree that Sixpence None the Richer version of "Don't Dream it's over" is absolutely terrible!!!! I must change the station when that version is on!!!! [Mad]
Posts: 808 | From: MI, USA | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, no covers for me.
How about Celine Dione’s version of ‘I Drove All Night’. Come on, get out of here… [Eek!]
It’s just like with movies, leave the originals alone! [Mad]

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just heard the 'It's My Life' Cover on the radio 5 minutes ago.
Sorry for the ones that DO like it, but I have only 3 words:

... "Such a Shame"

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spyke65
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1746

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for spyke65   Email spyke65   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I forgot to mention - Britney Spears should be shot for covering Joan Jett's "I Love Rock n Roll" - sacriledge!! [Mad]
Posts: 90 | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Devolution here,

Like I said, the only remake that is better than the original is Blinded by the Light by Manfred Mann's Earth Band. Sorry for you Bruce Springsteen Purists out there but his version rots.

We are DEVO

mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that Britney should be shot for doing "I Love Rock & Roll" did you know she thought it was a Pat Benatar song? what a friggin fool. If Britney Spears loves Rock & Roll why is she singin bubble gum sh*t???? whatta poser!!!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I used to fancy Molly Ringwald
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1884

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for I used to fancy Molly Ringwald   Email I used to fancy Molly Ringwald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
I agree, no covers for me.
How about Celine Dione’s version of ‘I Drove All Night’. Come on, get out of here… [Eek!]
It’s just like with movies, leave the originals alone! [Mad]

Are you sure your not thinking of Cindi Lauper? I dont remember Celine Dion doing "I Drove All Night".

I actually liked Laupers version but then she has a really good voice.

Posts: 67 | From: London,Uk | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, I’m sure, I have the original Cyndi Lauper song 'I Drove All Night' on CD. ( which I like ) [Wink]
The 'raped' version of 'scream queen' Celine Dion I heard a few times on the radio.

deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh God, that Celine Dion screecherama version of "I drove all night" is driving me up the walls...

I agree with all of you - remakes should be prohibited!!
Maybe it's even worse here in Europe than in the US - or did any of you ever hear the awful technosized remake of "It's tricky"?!? Or "Like a prayer"??? [Eek!]
And what's really sad is that kids nowadays listen to these and have no idea that it's actually a remake and that the original is soooooo much better!
[Mad]

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, this was not the reaction I had hoped for [Frown] . Well, as much as I agree with most of you that alot of remakes are a travesty, I will stand behind my original statement. I guess it's because I'm such a huge No Doubt fan. Don't hate me... [Frown]
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't heard No Doubt's version yet cindy. I guess I need to listen to the radio more, I'm more of a CD person. I rarely like any remake of any song. I'm picky when it comes to music and I hate most of the bands that exist today. I think the only remake I like is Metallica's cover of Die My Darling which was originaly a Misfits song. I love The Misfits and I thought Metallica did the song well.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hate the new 'it's my life.' gosh her voice is irritating to listen to (for me). [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cindymancini:
Oh man, this was not the reaction I had hoped for [Frown] . Well, as much as I agree with most of you that alot of remakes are a travesty, I will stand behind my original statement. I guess it's because I'm such a huge No Doubt fan. Don't hate me... [Frown]

Oh no, now I feel bad for making you post a [Frown] !
[Frown] myself.
Who would ever hate you? And besides, you're right - No Doubt is great! [Smile]

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose
Master Rewinder
Member # 2033

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rose   Email Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont worry about it. I mean thats what these boards are for right? Everyone has an opinion about what they like or dislike, so its no thang. [Smile] I need to learn alot more about music and the 80's than what I already do, so there are a lot of songs that are probably remakes that I dont even know about.

something to cheer up the folks a wee bit:

I listened to Big in Japan on the way to work this morning for about 30 minutes straight, I just put it on loop in my cd player and sat back. That happens sometimes, I just hear a song in my head and I have to listen to it. Its the only song I have by Alphaville and now I want the entire album. Its on my wishlist of course. [Big Grin]

Posts: 150 | From: Lakewood, WA | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
OMG, Big in Japan left Germany and made it all the way to the US???!!! I never knew! [Smile]
I love that song! Do you know their song "Forever young", too? Wow, I'm still amazed! [Big Grin]

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To TKO, DeathByStereo80, and Fancy Molly Ringwald:

Cyndi Lauper did sing that "I Drove All Night" song, but Roy Oribson actually sang it first. His version appears on his "Mystery Girl" CD, which came out shortly after his death. But both of their versions are great!

Also, both of their versions are much more preferable than Celine Dion's version!
[Mad]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home