iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » What's the Difference? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's the Difference?
CameronFrye05
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1937

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for CameronFrye05   Email CameronFrye05   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! I'm only sixteen. I have a really big question. What are the major differences between the youth of the eighties and today's youth? Thanks-
Posts: 15 | From: Madison, WI | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samurai Sweetie
Master Rewinder
Member # 1529

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Samurai Sweetie   Author's Homepage   Email Samurai Sweetie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh boy, where to begin?? [Confused] , I could write an essay on the differences, as could just about anyone, hmm, well, I'll just say the differences are as bold as black and white. [Wink]
Posts: 186 | From: Lookout Mountain Road | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I bow to you Samurai, I knew that you could write a lot on the subject. Isis might write the Iliad on the subject. It's what she is good at. I was a youth in the 80's and I teach them now. I am not going to get into it either, but I will say then at least there was respect for their elders, now no way, there is no fear.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to agree. Movies like Kids and now Thirteen kind of document a scary world out there. Not to totally implicate that kids in the 80's were angels, but I really am glad I am not in high school right now. What happened to Saturday morning shows? They've been cancelled because youth aren't supposed to have imagination anymore?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a more carefree attitude in the 80s compared to today, kids could stay out later playing with friends, now all the parents have had the fear of god put into them by the media about abductions etc., yes that view is overkill but some parents are way more over-protective now than they would have been in the 80s had they had kids then.

Devolution is right about them not having fear of their elders anymore, hence the increase in youth crime. Kids today are growing up much faster than they were in the 80s.

Glad I grew up in the 80s [Smile]

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can tell you exactly what is the difference, but I hope that no one flips out on me. There are more families now that have to have 2 sources of income to survive-there is no one at home with kids. The 80's were big on spending and materialistic stuff, but we have gotten so beyond that. Everyone's game-was an Atari, now they come out with a new game system each year, and kids have them all. They get bored so quickly with them too. I loved the older games like Donkey Kong, and Frogger, they have revamped all of those in to high tech junk too. Kids brains are fried out on techno stuff. They don't spend time outside playing. They are exposed to stuff in the media that should never be. The junk on t.v-like all the dating shows-people are total pigs on those shows, they go out with 4-5 people at a time, and it is all who can be the most disgusting- and they don't care- no one has any diginity about themsleves anymore-and the thing is- people watch it, and it doesn't phase them anymore either, it's like it's accepted. I couldn't believe it- last night Risky Business was on a movie channel, and the scene -in the chair-with Rebecca DeMornay-was playing- that should have been edited for regular t.v, I about had a fit, I was flipping through-trying to find something decent on for my son, and hurried up and switched it. My son, doesn't watch "regular" t.v., thank- god for Ebay- because he watches what I watched, cause I can get almost everything on tape now. He loves it too. The Little Rascals, the classic Disney movies-like Charlie the Lonesome Cougar- The Wilderness family movies, Rikki Tikki Tavi- A Cricket in Times Square- these are cool shows that should be appealing to kids now. The kids in my son's school-they used the f-word, since the 2nd grade- my kid doesn't even know what it is-he knows it exists, but kids have such a short childhood as it is, that when anyone tells me that I should be preparing my kid for the 'real" world, I could just scream, because the real world doesn't have to be that way-unfortunately we have let it get that way. I am not going to compromise anything I believe in, because of the way others think, I never have. I never had the pressure in high school, like kids do now, especially about your body- everyone is always thinking they could improve their looks, but not this extreme surgery stuff-that teenage girls are doing to themselves- it is ridiculous, then the media sticks it all on t.v-so other girls can think there is something wrong with them too-it's a vicious cycle. There is no respect any more, in general...I have friends who let their 8,9 year olds watched rated R movies, my mom would have killed me. I don't understand why people don't think this stuff absolutely does have an effect on children's brains, and how they view life? The music today-is horrid- Marilyn Manson, should never be seen by kids, that kind of stuff is so beyond bizarre that if your in an abusive life style, how can watching him, possible benefit you? Talk shows- like Jerry Springer, are on during the daytime when nobody is home, but young kids. I didn't have that kind of "crap' television, and I know what it does to me when I have ever seen pieces of a show like that- it makes me sick. People need to put the time and effort in to doing things away from the media, kids that are encouraged in sports, or the band, or boy/girl scouts-they absolutely have a different personality than kids that are dumped, and left to figure life out on their own. I hope I don't want to make anyone mad, but I think about this stuff constantly, because I am a parent, and it scares me to death, to think my kid could be shot in his own school, by a kid he sees everyday. It happens too frequently for anyone to ever say it will never happen where I live. Or some nut, with a semi-automatic weapon can come in to McDonald's and start shooting people, cause he lost his job. That never happened before, people did have the access to guns like they do now. The only thing about life now that makes me not fear death, is that I know that there are so many "bad" things out there that are destroying the entire world, that I can't see it making a turn around. We were at war, and what for? What is changing that all that was neccessary? I feel so bad for kids nowdays, because they will never know a safer life style, that I had not long ago. Sorry to go on and on. I could say alot on this subject, I hope others do too.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just like wizard said, there was more of a carefree attitude back then. but along with the times and technology.. people have changed. i think that ppl who grew up in the 80s found happiness in more simple and smaller things. there weren't many teens with cell phones glued to their ears...etc.

i don't remember teens ever being so cocky as they are now either. i think that has a lot to do with the way they have access to just about anything now and the level of laziness has definitely increased..i mean, just to make money... me and my pals would go around the neighborhoods and do yard work for people. maybe that still happens in some places, but not where i live. and just as devo said, there is hardly any respect for older people and no fear. someone said the 80s was full of imagination-WELL SAID. but it's all too lame now isn't it? trends are a no-no..reality tv IS the real world and pretend or make believe means you are just crazy.

though this doesn't apply to each and every kid out there but, today's youth? way too much anger..not enough fun, and total unappreciation.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette
Master Rewinder
Member # 252

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Janette   Email Janette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to post earlier, but I decided to wait until isis had her say. She has a lot of good points that I agree with. Kids now a day can have whatever they want almost at their fingertips. Instant entertainment.

I've seen too many parents trying to be friends instead of being a loving parent. Where is the discipline? I've heard parents say well I want to tell them no, but then they'll hate me! How many of us adored our parents all our lives? Yes your child is going to be mad at you, but hopefully that child will grow up to be a grateful, respectful human being that will understand why you said no and will respect you for it. I was told no so many times in my life that I actually learned really quickly that if I want something I have to earn it. If I wanted something and my parents said no there was a good reason why. In this day and age some parents don't want to say no and the kid grows up thinking the world is here to serve them. "Give me what I want, give it to me now or get out of my way." Unfortunately I see a lot of adults acting this way now too. It's always get out of my way, I'm more important than you and I have more important things to do than you. Where is the respect. I think that's what it boils down to. Respect, it's gone out the window.

Sorry to rant. I could go on and on, as well but I digress...

Posts: 156 | From: Midwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that you don't have to be mean, to teach your kids respect. I think when you hit your kids, your teaching violence. How many people like to get hit? If your their parent, and you hit them as punishment, and your the one person in their life that is suppose to love and support them above anyone else, you send a mixed message by physically disciplining your kids. I have never hit my son ever. He has never done anything to deserve being hit for. I know my friends smack their kids constantly, if it worked-then you wouldn't have to keep doing it over and over for the same trivial things that they do it for.
Kids descensitize-sp? themselves to violence, to cope with it, so it has no actual way of making them stop what they are doing. I think kids can get out of control, but it is because of lacking something, mostly attention, and they act badly because they want someone to show some kind of bond to them, even if it is a bad one, it's all they know. I haven't worked since my son was born, before that I worked 2-3 jobs. But, I made a decision that my child was more important than anything, than anything I could have material wise, and I didn't care if we had to eat macaroni and cheese or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every day, cause we didn't have the money, he was more important. I can see how he acts at 10 years old, and he is kind and considerate, and he has never hurt another kid ever. Now- you could say I am pretty well off financially- especially after the car accident we were in, I don't have to worry about anything, so I have been on both side of the money pit- and having money does not mean you will have happiness, you can be totally broke and the happiest person on the planet-if you are happy with yourself. I always believe that every person can be anything they want, wether it's famous, or rich, everyone has the same opportunites in life, and you just have choices that you make to be where you are. I think alot of people are mean and unhappy because of envy and jealousy over things they wish they could be. I think that those 2 emotions are the root to most of the world's problems. I don't know how it all got started, and why we are the way we are now, but I love this web site, because I like the views on here of people, and I really am impressed by the intelligence of the people on here, and that makes me really happy, because I don't run in to that alot out in my area of the world. I hope I am not offending anyone. I am sure I can be that way, but I really just wish people didn't take their life for granted.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading all these posts, it seems that many of you think that todays teenagers lack respect, and have a strong sense of fear every time they step out their doors. Since I'm a teenage girl, I can say that this is simply not the case...at least not for me. If kids today seem to lack respect for their elders, it is prolly because we are rebelling against the lack of respect towards us. I think that kids today are simply more educated and learning things a lot faster. This may not be a good thing, but I think that its been forced upon us. kids are becoming individuals a lot quicker and as such taking adavntage being open to new experiences very early. We could go on for hours debating the topic, but personally, I don't feel that i have missed out on anything that all of you had. I hang out w/ my friends, go to the movies, go to football games, hang at the mall, and go to the beach! I'm very happy w/ the way I have grown up and wouldn't trade it...that which doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger!

Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
What you said RiverPhoenix is absolutely all true, things have been forced on you and your generation, and what can you do about it, but deal with it the best way you can, and if your doing a great job, then more power to you. When I talk I talk in general, and about the majority of people I see, but that doesn't mean there aren't certain individuals that have a great life now days. I am glad you have fun with your friends, that is exactly what you should be doing. But, your right - you can't miss something that you never knew, or lived. If you know what it's like know, and nothing else, then you have nothing to compare it to. I can compare stuff because I lived then and I am living now- I think.. and I really can see huge differences in everything or it would not be such an issue with me.
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Isis. I can't conceive something I never knew. Oh, by the way, I hope my last post didn't come off too strong. I was actually trying to be very careful w/ what I wrote, since there have been soo many misinterpretations in the past.

Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Did I mention anything about the Iliad being written before????

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belauan
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1862

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Belauan   Email Belauan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think kids today fits today's world while us fits our world then. I remember my mom kept saying, you kids these days are so different, and that was back in the 70's and 80's.

I believe that each person has a purpose for this world..that way things are balanced.

Parents play a big role in a child's life..however, a child can be well-raised and yet becomes no good when he grows up..and a child can be raised in dumps and becomes a good person...it's up to a person to choose a path for himself... [Wink]

"It's better to light a single lamp than to curse the darkness"

Posts: 58 | From: Palau | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette
Master Rewinder
Member # 252

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Janette   Email Janette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RiverPhoenix you have a very good point that some kids today are reacting to the lack of respect shown to them. I appreciate you pointing that out. I remember kids in my class when I was younger that rebelled because of the lack of respect towards them.

I honestly don't think kids today are much different than kids 20 yrs ago. You're dealing with things that we didn't have to deal with then, but the 80s had their own problems that they dealt with, just like the 70s and so on. I'm just saying that it seems like respect is starting to go by the way side for all generations.

I think my post did say that there seems to be a lack of respect from everyone these days. It's all about themselves. We all need to learn to respect each other and think about the other person as well as yourself.

Isis, I hope you didn't think that I was implying that you have to be mean to discipline your child. No is a big part of discipline. That's all I was discussing was that parents need to learn when to say no.

I agree with what you say about the growing amount of jealousy. I don't understand the trend towards the jealousy but, I have felt it myself and can see why it could lead to lack of respect.

Spanking is a whole other topic that I don't like to get into because people always have their own point of view and no one will budge. For me it's not worth debating because I probably can't change someone else's mind, just like they can't change mine. I respect that. [Wink]

Posts: 156 | From: Midwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Janette-I wasn't implying that you condone spanking or anything, I was talking about disciplining your kids in general. And what I see works, and what doesn't work. I think that you have to appreciate your life and everything you have, and that kids need to be taught that-or they don't have respect. Everything I ever say, I really hope that people know that I say things with good intentions, that maybe someone will change their way of thinking, because that's all they ever knew, what was shown or taught to them, but maybe there are better choices for everyone, if people knew they had choices. Cause if the majority of people who are parents are around others that do the same thing, then they think what they are doing is the right way. I am always thinking of people in my own life, when I write stuff- and the observations I have made, and things people do that totally blow my mind, and I think ..what are they doing? My 2 year old niece throws these temper tantrums and screams for hours and has a fit, just over nothing-and her parents are at their wits end. My son comes home ever day with a new story about a kid that was mean or said something mean, or the teacher was mean. He stoved his finger playing basketball the other day, and the teacher sent him to the nurse, and she put an ice pack on it, and then asked if it still hurt, and he said yeah, and she said" no freakin wonder it hurts , you hit it with a basketball." What kind of nurse is that? I could list a million examples of what we all run in to on a daily basis, and to me it has gotten old so long ago, and it just annoys me so badly that people continue to act like that. I hope that everyone gets what I am saying, that's why I run on and on..because it's too hard to sum up stuff. Sorry!
MONSOON
Master Rewinder
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for MONSOON   Email MONSOON   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ill open a whole other can of worms. I think if more parents beat their kids a55es when they misbehaved there would be more respect from them towards not only the parents but towards other people. Whomever thought of the "Timeout" idea needs to be brought to the woodshed. Now that being said I believe that you can firmly punish a child without abusing them there are always limits and its the parents responsibility to adhere to those limits. I see parents everyday that bring their whining screaming children into my store and try to coddle them into behaving without one bit of success. Damnit bring that child to the restroom and whoop his/her a55! I have 2 sons and when they acted up in public they didnt get coddled they got a stern warning which more often than not did the trick, when that didnt work they got a swat on their backsides. I truly believe that if more people minded their own damn business when it comes to how parents raise their children we wouldnt be having this discussion today.
I think the proliferation of guns, drugs and violence that is portraited on TV today has desensitized children. You can say "Well what about movies?" There is no comparison. You have to pay to see a movie, TV is basically free. Forget cable Im just speaking in general terms. Video games have also gotten more and more violent and further desensitized our children to the realities of life and guns. You can say "Well violence has always been in video games." True but in the 80s it was more cartoony, you knew it was fake. Now when you play a video game and shoot someone, that person youre shooting almost looks real. That is one of the drawbacks to our ever advancing society.
I guess my only point is that we only have ourselves to blame for the lack of respect for people and disregard of life that alot, not all,but alot of todays children show.

Posts: 264 | From: Bainbridge , GA | Registered: Jan 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Oh, don't think that I don't think that too, when I see kids acting rotten, that I wish someone would do something, and not act like the kids the parent. But, they are doing stuff completely wrong, to get to that point where they have a kid that out of control, if my kid acted like that, I wouldn't bring them in the store, they wouldn't get to buy a new whatever, or get to go out to eat, or have friends or whatever it is they would want at the moment. Kids understand that more than a smack, a smack is a fast easy way out.

Your absolutely right about the violence in video games, I go through this with my brother-in-law all the time, because he thinks cause he's 30, he should be able to play Grand Theft Auto, or BMX XXX, but how many kids are getting ahold of those things, kids my son's age have played them. Nobody is paying attention, nobody cares, and then look what they have just been a witness too, and if anyone thinks that has no effect on someone, they are in denial over something. Yeah, Mario's head wasn't shot off in Donkey Kong, or Frogger's guts were splattered grotesquely over the highway, or Pac-Man wasn't a pimp chasing ho's around, ya know? It is ridiculous. So, there is another huge difference in then and now.

CameronFrye05
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1937

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for CameronFrye05   Email CameronFrye05   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. You guys really go into detail- thanks. I am a brand new member and this is so great actually getting responses. Back to the subject though, I have one simple thing to say: it isnt easier. My parents and teachers say its only gotten harder for schooling and stuff, overtime. I think I let this fact spoil me into thinking everyone in the generations before me had it easy. It's kind of nice knowing we are all universally connected through the hardships of our teenage years and life in general? And one more thing. A lot of you guys seem to think that technology has had a huge impact on our lives. This is true by many aspects, but not to the degree that a better portion of us is inside all day zoning out in front of the computer. Most of us are in some sort of sport, which on weeknights, keeps us from even getting home until 8 or 9 at night. If technology has affected us at all, it's only made us busier. Cell phones, email, and all that great stuff has brought us an opportunity the generations before us didnt have. We live busy lives, as I'm sure everyone does. The biggest difference: music. You can't watch MTV for five minutes without seeing some rap star keppin it real and sporting the bling bling. I'm sorry, but I just don't like rap. And it's HUGE. Most everyone at my school, regardless of age, race, or social placement has bought some sort of rap cd. I think it's a bad turn for the worse. And that about raps my views on moderns teen life. Hope I brought some insight you guys didnt all ready know. [Smile]
Posts: 15 | From: Madison, WI | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shudders at the phrase "keep it real"* I hate current rap too, 80s rap was ok-especially Run DMC (R.I.P. Jam Master Jay) but the current slew of 'rap' artists' music is absolutely [insert favourite derogatory phrase here], you can't even listen to the radio without 'rap' appearing every so often.

Thankfully there's lots of online radio 'stations' that don't have ANY rap: http://www.shoutcast.com [Smile]

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
Member # 533

Having now read through the entire thread I have to say isis9968 I don't think you're treading on anyones toes with your views, in fact you've managed to put into words what most of us are probably thinking.
As for blanket labelling all teenagers of today as bad and unruly you (teenagers who post here) know that's wrong because you're posting here. There will always be kids/teenagers/adults who do have care and respect others and it's always nice to see teenagers who give a stuff, but from where I'm looking the bad elements of the kids/teenagers crowd are getting bigger and their undiciplinedness (is that a word?) is getting much worse since the 80s.
The media has a lot to answer for, mainly because of the money drive, they see kids/teenagers as their new and steady source of income so they're targetting kids/teenagers more and more. With the advent of the internet and satellite technology it's enabled the news world to deliver realtime reporting on events happening almost anywhere in the world, no more so than the Gulf 'war' earlier this year where satellite phones were delivering footage realtime from the battlefield. Add to that the high rise in realisticness in computer games - the 3D engine used for Quake has been used on numerous non-Quake games such as Kingpin, a gangster type game where you have to run around killing people, the realisim in that game is pretty high when it comes to blowing the computer generated characters away as when they're dead you can still blow their arms/legs/head off. Yes the game is aimed at adults but the producers know that kids are their biggest market for games, so...

This thread has so far been a great read, hope it continues in the same vein.

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I totally agree about the news. I have talked a ton about my friend, Eddie Brill-who's a stand up comic, and in his stand up routine,he talks about the news being the most evil show on television, and I agree 100%. When they put graphic pictures of the sons of Sudam Hussein on television for everyone to see, doesn't anyone think that is a bit much? Ok, we all agree he's a murdering nut, but those pictures were everywhere, and kids saw them, why do they need to be dealing with stuff like that? There is no limit put on anything anymore. Especially the dating shows, I mean those just make me want to gag. I can't believe how gross people are. They don't care either, that's the sad part. I don't like today's rap either, and everyone knows I am like the biggest Breakin fan on earth-and love the soundtracks to those movies, I use to like Run DMC, I used to like Rob Bass, and Salt N Pepa, they were good. These guy's now, and 1 in particular-Eminem- he can't even sing, neither can Kid Rock, they scream and swear and talk about cutting someone's head off, or killing someone, I just don't get that at all. And the videos are like porno movies, I can't believe the amounts of sex stuff on there. My neighbor's daughter was helping decorate for Halloween last night, and she is 16, and there's like 20 girls in her class pregnant. I live in a small town. There are freshmen in her school with 1 year olds, there's 2 girls in one homeroom -pregnant by the same guy. We had that too in school, but not like this. The cell phone thing- I can't go it- I don't own one. I see people in the grocery store, asking someone what kind of crackers they want, and I want to grab their phone and jump on it. We think the guy who totalled our vehicle was talking on a cell phone, and wasn't paying attention, that could have cost me my family's lives. There's a time and place for things, and people abuse everything to the extreme, so I know maybe this won't fly well, but I don't really care, cause it the truth.
Kevin S.
Rewinder
Member # 1555

- posted      Profile for Kevin S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CameronFrye05:
Hi! I'm only sixteen. I have a really big question. What are the major differences between the youth of the eighties and today's youth? Thanks-

Here I come with my cynicisim, ready to play devil's advocate. You seem like a good kid so I will tell you a secret. It's a big secret.

But PROMISE ME that you won't go blabbing this secret to anyone who graduated high school in the 80's and today would be in their 30's or even early 40's. PROMISE ME you won't tell them, because they will surely deny it, and I'm sure the older board members here will start jumping down on me for telling you this.

I was not an 80's teenager, I was born in 1977 and I graduated high school in 1995. But I'm old enough to remember how 80's teenagers and early 20 somethings acted and behaved, from basically through the whole decade starting with the early 80's and obviously right up to 1989. Dude they acted like kids.

There is barely any difference between the way kids/youth act now and the way they acted back in the 80's.

There is an unwritten rule in human life that as you get older, you start putting down the younger generations. Every generation condems the next one, and every generation laughs at the previous one. There is a line from The Breakfast Club that sums up what I am thinking here. It was the scene were the principal was telling this other guy in his office about how terrible the kids are and constantly ragging on them, much like everyone is doing here with your generation. I think he even said, "they've lost the fear of us". The other guy said "bullsh*t, the kids haven't changed YOU have. Look at you, if you were 16 what would you think of you!?" The poster before me is talking about the more innocent rap music of the 80's like Run DMC, conviently forgetting about the hardcore gangsta stuff from that time like Public Enemy, NWA and Ice-T. Back in the 80's, the adults and parents of the time put down the decade for giving us junk TV/movies like Rambo, Geraldo (he works for FOX NEWS today, but back in the 80's he had a super sleazy talk show like Jerry Springer), The A-Team and Married With Children. They also said the 80's was all MTV style and glitter, with little or no substance. So this whole song and dance routine of "you no good punk kids, you and your generation sucks and is totally evil, but BACK IN MY DAY" got tired a couple thousand years ago. Do you know about the Congressional Hearings that Tipper Gore started back in 1985? It was about violent and dirty music lyrics, and it created the "Parental Advisory" labels on the music you buy.

But you can't blame people for this can you? What are the "grown ups" supposed to tell younger generations? "Uh yeah we acted just like you so go right ahead and act the way we did." Ofcourse they can't tell you that, if they are afraid you guys will all turn out to be wannabe Columbine killers.

Another secret--I PROMISE you that in the future kids your age will start b*tchin' about the kids around in the year 2019 or whenever.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
Member # 533

I don't think it's so much that teenagers of the 80s were angels, I know that's not true but it's the extent to which the bad crowd were bad, with each generation brings a new level of distain for adults and each other by the kids/teenagers which also breeds higher levels of crime etc., particularly in recent years it's escalated by the media in general - attitude music, news showing nothing but bad stuff 99% of the time - how many of you got sick of seeing the two towers being crashed into/falling down over and over again? the media couldn't show 18 rated films in the daytime/evening but they sure as hell got their monies worth of the two towers footage...

Yes there were groups such as Ice-T, NWA in the 80s but the most prolific music on the radio was the more 'safe' stuff, nowadays the boundaries have been widened and hence stuff like Eminem gets played, albeit without the swearwords but the kids know the proper version has the swearwords and will hear them when they buy/download the full tracks.

Anyone seen Battle Royale? maybe that's how we should deal with the bad kids [Wink]

RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
Kevin S, ur a genius!!!!!!!!!! i agree w/ u completely. As for the news, I feel that by exposing kids to their surroundings earlier, they will have a better understanding of it later. I'm not saying we should burden young children w/ the affects of Columbine and 9-11, but this is the world we live in, don't hide from it...understand it!

Tootles! [Wink]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home