iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Bright Lights Big City

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bright Lights Big City
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I bought this movie cause it was cheap and I had never seen it. I thought, "how bad can it be, it's got Fox, Sutherland and Cates in it." Boy, was I wrong. It sucked the big one in my opinion. Does anyone else agree or disagree? Oh well, you win some, you lose some [Roll Eyes] .
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banshee
Master Rewinder
Member # 1829

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Banshee   Email Banshee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ok, I bought this movie cause it was cheap
If they were giving it away you couldn't persuade me to avail. (Still I paid good money to see it in the cinema the day it came out...)And while I'm at it let's add 'Less Than Zero' to the pile. All that 80's 'poor' yuppie rubbish...
Posts: 125 | From: Surrey, U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Cindy, that was the best thing that I have read in a while. I sucked so bad, I refuse to remember anything about the movie. I do know that it blew.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Banshee,

I thought Less Than Zero was great compared to Bright Lights. At least it was kinda sexy in a tawdry, LA kind of way. Plus, I really like Jami Gertz. I thought she was great!

Devolution,

I knew you'd understand...lol!! [Wink]

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NottoocoolJulie
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1580

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for NottoocoolJulie   Email NottoocoolJulie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awful, awful piece of crap movie.

(but I loved the book..shhh)

Posts: 59 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
phew.. glad i didn't buy it. i ALMOST did for the same reasons that cindy did. i have never seen the movie, and don't think i will.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Less than zero wasn't that bad. Looking at what Robert Downey Jr. went through it is kind of an eerie art imitates life sort of movie. The coked up 80's yuppie does get kind of tiresome though. Phoebe Ctes looked great in Bright Lights if there is a consolation.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cindymancini:
Ok, I bought this movie cause it was cheap

Been there, suffered that mistake too! it wasn't even cheesy or corny bad like a lot of 80s movies (which gives them their charm & re-watchability) it was just bad bad.

They should have called it "The Secred of my Downfall"

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a big MJF fan it was disappointing to finally see that a few years ago. Kind of like a more tragic version of Secret of my Success. It was slow and boring.

I still havent dared myself to watch Light of Day though.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uhhh.. [Embarrassed]

snaps, light of day is the one i was curious about. not bright lights big city. anyone see or like light of day?

secret of my success is a good movie. i want to get that one eventually.

and less than zero is just too disturbing for me to watch. i have seen a few times and i don't think i care to see it ever again.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I going to go out on a limb here and say that I like Bright lights Big City.
The first time I saw it I thought it was rubbish. I saw it again years later, and thought it was only slightly better than I remembered.
Then an Italian movie channel that I was working for showed it a lot, and because it had English audio tracks I got to watch it over and over. It really grew on me! The funny thing is, apart from the fashion, all the social things that were going on in the film (coke, models etc) were happening to people around me at the time! It's surprisingly accurate. I guess some things never change.
I think the worst thing about the film is Michael J Fox - he's miscast. But he really does try hard in it, and almost pulls it off.

As for 'Light of day', I've seen that several times and it always sucks.
Interestingly, it was supposed to be called 'Born in the USA', and Springsteen was supposed to be in it. But Springsteen 'stole' the title for his album, and told Paul Schrader (the Director) that he could use the song as the theme, or he would write him a new song. Schrader chose the new song (obviously). [Wink]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought 'The Man with One Red Shoe' because it was cheap and I couldn't sit through it.I had seen pieces of it on tv. But, man.
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was hard to watch Michael J. Fox in "Bright Lights Big City". I saw it ONCE at the theater and I have never wanted to see it again. Maybe the movie would have been better without MJF and not made in the 80s? [Confused]
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spyke65
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1746

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for spyke65   Email spyke65   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually like "Light of Day". I guess you have to be a Joan Jett fan to really appreciate it. I didn't like Fox in that one at all - especially when he sang with his nephew in the movie - augh!

I don't like too many of Fox's movies. Back to the Future (only the first one), is basically the only one I like.

I just bought High School USA on VHS (brand new and for $2!), but I mostly got it for Nancy McKeon - who I've always liked since her Facts of Life days.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Little tidbit for ya then if you didn't know: McKeon and Fox dated for a little while in the mid 80s. It was right at the time he met Tracey Pollan, but she was dating Kevin Bacon and eggs.
Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I remember seeing pieces of Bright Lights/Big City-and it was so boring that I never cared if I saw the whole thing or not. I remember when Light of Day came out, cause I used to love Joan Jett- All I remember was it was really boring too, and that Michael J. Fox and Joan Jett did not go together at all. I have Midnight Madness with Michael J. Fox, I started watching it, and haven't finished it..I heard it's suppose to be hilarious, has anyone else seen it?
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

i love midnight madness. i bought it back in the mid 90s while i was in new york. i remember flipping out because it wasn't for sale here in phx. isis, you must finish it soon. it's a funny movie, indeed. i believe it was MJF's first movie.
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Ah, more useless crap.

Midnight Madness Rules. Yes, it is Fox's first movie. I quote it quite often. Pee Wee Herman is also in it, as well as David Naughton (Makin' it). Not to mention the two obese twins are the same ones from Hamburger the motion picture.

and...

Fox and McKeon started dating after they made the TV movie "Poison Ivy" I have that on Tape too!!!
Really Scary.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home