iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Anything about 80's movies you hate?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anything about 80's movies you hate?
Sam Hain
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1552

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Sam Hain   Email Sam Hain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously we're all fans of movies from the 80's otherwise we wouldn't frequent this site.

Just curious if there is anything that you hate about 80's movies. My biggest gripe is how for the most part they always over exaggerate stereotypes. The nerds are way too nerdy, the jocks are way to jocky etc....

What do you hate about 80's movies?

Posts: 56 | From: Bismarck, ND; hopefully Phoenix, ARIDzona come spring | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate that they don't make them any more- I guess it's cause it's 2003. But, the stereotypes weren't really exaggerated- that's how people were, people did seem to fit in different catergories/ labels back then, today everyone seems to be the same person.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Hain
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1552

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Sam Hain   Email Sam Hain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that people were their own thing back then, but they made everyone way too over the top in the movies. They were just not nerds in the movies, they were NERDS.
Posts: 56 | From: Bismarck, ND; hopefully Phoenix, ARIDzona come spring | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin S.
Rewinder
Member # 1555

- posted      Profile for Kevin S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Hain:
I agree that people were their own thing back then, but they made everyone way too over the top in the movies. They were just not nerds in the movies, they were NERDS.

Not every 80's movie had fake nerds. Stephen King's book to film Christine in 1983 had that nerdy kid Arnie and his evil car. Arnie wasn't an over the top nerd (like Steve Urkel or Screech). He was very believable as an unconfident loser who then turns into a supercool guy after Christine takes over his personality. Remember his only friend was a jock too, and the guy that played him didn't go over the top being a doofus bully jock. He was believable as a compassionate football player who was Arnies only friend. Well before Arnie got that evil car Christine anyway.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retrohpink
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1832

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for retrohpink   Author's Homepage   Email retrohpink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I hate about 80's movies is that IS REALLY HARD to get them on dvd because I live in such a horrible country where no one has ever even heard of the breakfast club.
Posts: 65 | From: lisbon, portugal | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In high school, I had guys in my class that were kind of what people might categorize as nerds-and were real smart, I remember a bunch of them dressing up like NERDS and like hanging out in the grocery store, with the pocket protectors, and the taped glasses, the too short polyester pants, and they would stick their shirt out through their fly, and wear the tipped "Duckie" shoes, all for fun- they didn't dress like that to school, they would slick their hair back too- I can't even imagine kids today goofing around like that, or what people would "think" if they saw people doing that- people don't have any sense of humor any more, they take life too seriously, and are so uptight. The Nerds- are who turned out to be the people who have the best jobs, who then could afford to fix themselves up-so when you end up going to your high school reunion, it is the reverse when your older, the nerds are the better looking people, all the popular people-ended up with crap jobs,and gain weight-and turn in to slobs- because they were too busy perfecting their social life, and not their brain. I was always friends with everyone, I didn't care what "class" of people they "fit" in, I always go by how people treat others, and if they have a sense of humor, that's how I know if I want to get to know someone better.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know what bugged me? In Pretty In Pink Ducky carried this torch for Andie,she was the love of his life,and in the last 5 minutes of the movie,a blonde girl smiles it and he is SO OVER ANDIE!!!!!! That fast! Just like that> Now I know men are pigs...but DUCKY????!!!!!! Et tu,Duckman?
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why we need a really good DVD version of Pretty in Pink! Does the alternate ending exist? It must. I guess it just couldn't be an 80's movie if the Duckman went home spurned and heartbroken. The thing that bothers me about some 80's movies is probably some of the more dumb teen exploitation stuff. that was done on a low budget, where you have no sympathy for the characters, etc.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home