iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Saturday Morning T.V. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Saturday Morning T.V.
Bings2003
Rewinder
Member # 1914

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Bings2003   Email Bings2003   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was your favourite telly program that used to be on a Saturday morning in the eighties?

Mine was Multi-Coloured Swapshop, you guys from over the pond really missed out on a cool show there.

It had some classic old cartoons and kids shows on there like the Hair Bear Bunch, the Amazing Spiderman, and the Banana Splits(featuring the Arabian Nights). Who can forget Keith Chegwin on location around Britain, usually in the rain stuck in a park, organising hundreds of screaming kids who wanted to swap their toys with each other?

Class.

They ought to bring that back now. You can just see Keith shouting out "And who wants to swap this wrap of speed for................"

Posts: 31 | From: Sheffield, England | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved Isis-of course- but she was in the late 70's, and Shazzam/ Captain Marvel. I loved the Kroft Super Show, does anyone else remember Kaptain Kool and the Kongs? I loved Saturday morning tv- especially Land of the Lost!!!
I miss it sooooo much!! I lived for Saturday Morning. I remember even all day Saturdays in the afternoon, on a rainy day, you could find an old black and white Dracula or Werewolf episode on. There used to be these movies- 1 had these things that were like these brains with these spinals cords on them, I forget what that was, they killed people, it was really freaky, and I have never seen it ever. Does anyone also know of a show that used to be on after school-like around 4Pm, had to be around maybe 1978-1980, and it was Japanese-this big man made of Iron/ Metal or I think he might have been gold- he fought all these different monsters, I used to watch it all the time, and I can't remember it. I loved the Banana Splits too!!

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thebazman
Master Rewinder
Member # 1741

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thebazman   Author's Homepage   Email thebazman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some things are best left in the past, especially cheggers, hehehe

Im a little younger (born in '82) so was more of the Going Live era, The Racoons, Chipmunks and Spiderman too were the usuals.

Come on everyone Swing your pants, how great was wee Gordon, hehe

Baz

Posts: 142 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bings2003
Rewinder
Member # 1914

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Bings2003   Email Bings2003   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By calling him that you have reminded me of one of the greatest kids quiz shows ever made........................

Cheggers Plays Pop.

WOW

Posts: 31 | From: Sheffield, England | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Hain
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1552

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Sam Hain   Email Sam Hain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Growing up in the 70's I remember setting my alarm clock for 6am Saturday mornings and watching quality cartoons until noon. Then the 80's came along and saturday mornings went down hill in a big way. Now days you will be hard pressed to find a cartoon on Saturday mornings.

I blame the Smurfs for downgrading the cartoons in the 80's and blaming Saved by the Bell for eliminating cartoons on Saturday mornings.

Posts: 56 | From: Bismarck, ND; hopefully Phoenix, ARIDzona come spring | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vashti1999
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1837

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for vashti1999   Email vashti1999   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was actually glad when Saved By The Bell came along and knocked cartoons off of NBC's saturday morning schedule. If I remember, Kid n Play (based on the rap duo) was one of the last cartoons they had before moving towards live action stuff. A show called " Guys Next Door " (sort of the Monkees meets New Kids On The Block) premiered around the same time as SBTB, I think. Only cartoons I was into in the 80's were 70's leftovers: Fat Albert, Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour and Schoolhouse Rock. [Big Grin]
Posts: 60 | From: New York City | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sladey
Rewinder
Member # 1804

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for sladey   Email sladey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember watching the gummy bears bouncing here and there and everywhere how sad i still know the song!!!

was that late 80's or early 90's???

Posts: 32 | From: wiltshire,england | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shaz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1886

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for shaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Saturday morning fav was Fraggle Rock.
Remember that?

shaz x

Posts: 74 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bings2003
Rewinder
Member # 1914

Rate Member
The puppet version or the cartoon version?
Jessica Rabbit 2 Russian Rabbit
Master Rewinder
Member # 1904

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessica Rabbit 2 Russian Rabbit   Email Jessica Rabbit 2 Russian Rabbit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah fraggle rock was cool, does anyone remember 'wake up london' I think that was what it was called and '8.15 from manchester'.
Posts: 317 | From: South East London England | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shaz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1886

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for shaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bings2003:
The puppet version or the cartoon version?

Definatley the puppet version.

shaz x

Posts: 74 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Yeah, I don't know about you but there is no other version of Fraggle rock, only the puppet version.

As for the Gummy Bears,

Dashing and Daring, Courageous and Caring, faithful and friendly with stories to share, Run through the forest they sing out in chorus, marching along as their song fills the air..

I know the whole thing.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devo, you never fail to amaze me.... Every time I reckon I have you taped, there you go again. I'll just have to take my previous picture of you (slightly soiled rebel with great taste in music, an eye for the wild side of life, and interesting clothes) and add pink fur.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shaz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1886

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by paulshrimpton:
Devo, you never fail to amaze me.... Every time I reckon I have you taped, there you go again. I'll just have to take my previous picture of you (slightly soiled rebel with great taste in music, an eye for the wild side of life, and interesting clothes) and add pink fur.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

pmsl

shaz x

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Paul you almost had it, I think the fact that I come off a little too clean cut is the problem, at least that's what my kids think. I am a maniac teacher. I even wore pink for my first time ever. I think I was just trying to get in touch with my weird side. In all seriousness, you probably hit it right on the head.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you didn't even need to post a picture of yourself... [Wink]

BTW Shaz, just worked out what pmsl means whilst typing this. tee hee hee.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shaz
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1886

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by paulshrimpton:
BTW Shaz, just worked out what pmsl means whilst typing this. tee hee hee.

[Wink]

shaz x

RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
care to share Paul?

Tooltes! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bings2003:
What was your favourite telly program that used to be on a Saturday morning in the eighties?

MONKEY!

Thankfully Channel4 have been re-running it late at night [Smile]

Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Devolution here,

PMSL --- going to guess

**** my self laughing?

We are DEVO and that must be a UK thing

Crystalgirl
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1801

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crystalgirl   Email Crystalgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omg I loved saturday morning cartoons I was borin in 82 so my favs were Jem and the holograms care bears. gummy bears. my little pony and rainbow brite o and muppet babies and snorks and gosh I love all carttons strawberry shortcake o and the wuzzles anyone remember them a little bit of this a little bit of that add all together got personality were the wuzzles ya yay 2 in 1 wrapped and rolled into fun:)
Posts: 79 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thebazman
Master Rewinder
Member # 1741

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thebazman   Author's Homepage   Email thebazman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Crystalgirl u were born the same year as me, it was a good year wasnt it, lol but seriously it was good cause we got to grow up in the 80's, which was excellent.

Baz

Posts: 142 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jones4Rio
Rewinder
Member # 1848

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jones4Rio   Email Jones4Rio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I loved Saturday morning as well. Though usually I would get around 9 and catch the later stuff.

But why would kids drool over cartoons on Saturday morning where there seems to be a bajillion channels that play cartoons non-stop?
If you search on the web there is actually I lot of discussion and writing about the disappearance of Saturday Morning Cartoons.

It is a sweet childhood memory though.

I remember "The Littles" and "Teen Wolf" and "Galaxy High School". I also remember "The Smurfs" and the "Schoolhouse Rock" things and that weird shaped cartoon guy with a cane who would teach you how to make popsicles with an ice tray some punch and toothpicks. Anyone remember that? I also remember Menudo's music videos playing between cartoons sometimes. I loved Wyle Coyote and Roadrunner too. BEEP! BEEP!

Posts: 48 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else remember Jabber Jaw- the shark? His voice use to make me crazy, but now I think I would watch him again with a new respect, because he has to be better than I.R Babboon or Ed, Ed, and Eddy, or any cartoon that is out today. My son likes SpongeBob, and The Fairly Oddparents, and I feel like my mom, because she hated my stuff, and I can't watch the stuff my son watches-Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh- make me kringe. They have some of the older shows on a thing called Boomerang on the Cartoon Network, but they are on at 6:30am. Who is up watching cartoons then?
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

Well Isis, you should come on over to the UK - we can get Boomerang 24 hours a day on satellite tv. We get JabberJaw, Captain Caveman, Inch High Private Eye,, Undecover Elephant (my personal favorite - the way he'd put those little plastic 'hercule poirot' moustaches on and nobody would know it was him!)and all the rest. I reckon the best of the new toons for me is possibly Dexter's Lab - but my 3 1/2 year old loves watching Tom and Jerry more than anything new!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home