iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Fast food how it was (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fast food how it was
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of fast food, I remember a TV ad campaign which involved a nationwide search for someone to "Find Herb".

This "Herb" was a heavy-set, nerdy-looking guy with short dark hair, and glasses. The TV commercials were shown sometime around 1983-85.

I don't remember what the prize was, but the object was to spot "Herb" at a randomly-picked location of the restaurant chain.

Does anyone know which fast-food chain did the "Herb" contest? (I know that it WASN'T McDonalds!)

And was there a winner who found "Herb"?

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Bring on the useless crap!!!

Here we go, in 1985 Herb came about from burger king, to combat Wendy's and the "Where's the beef" lady. For a long time the commercials only would show his very big feet walking down the street. In 1986, they finally would show who Herb is!!

If you want to see Herb the only footage that I know of is on -get ready for this- Wrestlemania 2, that was 4/7/86 yeah I was a wrestling nut for a long time when I was younger.

Anyway, Herb was the timekeeper in the Mr. T vs. Roddy Piper match, you see his slender self as Joan River introduces him. I have it on tape. FYI the Where's the beef lady is in Wrestlemania 2 also.

SCARY

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, did who found Herb?? Hulk Hogan??

Oh, also when I was a vegetarian for years, I use to order a Big Mac with no meat and extra everything else. They tasted better that way. Now I just avoid the place alltogether, except on a few occassions, when I have to have a Large Fry.

I remember having a McDonalds playground set thing when I was a kid-I loved it, it was a cool toy.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant who did, not did who, geez my brain is working in total rewind mode now.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Devo, I am ahead, by a little, for now, do you think I can do 40 posts in 1 day to get to 400-without anyone wanting to kill me?? (Just Kidding)
Eri
Rewind Curious
Member # 1974

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Eri   Email Eri   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say .. MacD's apple pie bars were the most delicious thing on this earth .. now i never get them ... dont know what heppened to they, but they kinda shrunk, got cold and generally are not the same ... might be that i was a kid then tho .. lol
Posts: 5 | From: Middlesbrough, UK | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikie_CA
Senior Rewinder
Member # 369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mikie_CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back then the food seemed better. Hamburgers used to be larger. KFC used to taste much better and before Colonel Sanders died, they served those soft buns instead of these hard biscuits that i just throw away. I don't even eat at KFC anymore. Anybody who has grown up in So. Cal knows how In n Out has changed. Anybody remember the A&W restaurants?
Posts: 66 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mikie,

I too live in SoCal and there is an A&W stipp open here I think. It wa sthere last time I checked, but then again I'm not very perceptive. tehe. [Roll Eyes]

Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikie_CA
Senior Rewinder
Member # 369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mikie_CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RiverPhoenix4life:
Mikie,

I too live in SoCal and there is an A&W stipp open here I think. It wa sthere last time I checked, but then again I'm not very perceptive. tehe. [Roll Eyes]

Tootles! [Wink]

Really? I thought A&W restaurants had disappeared. Could you tell me where it is located? I want to go check it out.
Posts: 66 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's in Mission Viejo in Orange County...just off the 5 freeway if I remember correctly. Almost right next to In and Out. Just remember, i don't have the best memory either. I remember seeing it when I used to live on that side of the city a couple years ago. Hope this helped!

Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikie_CA
Senior Rewinder
Member # 369

Member Rated:
Alright thanks. I'll look for the exact location online.
eightiesdude
Master Rewinder
Member # 752

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for eightiesdude   Author's Homepage   Email eightiesdude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well after reading some of your comments. I notice that it seems I am not alone in the feeling that fast food has changed.

I do think that my taste buds might of changed a bit. I hated pickles for example as a boy, and now I love them! But I agree with some here that say, it is better to cook at home. The quality of the food and the food additives they are adding is scary and the hormones in the beef and chicken.

I do miss going to Kentukey Fried Chicken with my parents and loading up in the late 70s and early 80s. I do remember the original reciepe and when they would roll out the bbq buckets at my aunts house it was great.

But now it fast food is not good at all. Dominoes pizza was actually tasty at one time. Pizza hut too. We had pizza inns, and the my favorite burger place was burger chef. I wonder how many of you remember that place??

Some mention some chains unfortunately I didnt try or didnt know about because being in florida. But man things sure have changed. It has become a scary thing to eat fast food now. It just isnt that good to me anymore and some of you are right the people working there now. I dont know...

If you guys are interested about the history and other reality facts about fast food. Pick up the book FAST FOOD NATION on half.com But i warn you guys and gals if you want to eat more fast food dont read this book. It is about how the industry is run and it isnt pretty.

I still miss my big mac that was so big though and my burger chef fun meals, and eating Kentukey Fried Chicken and my pepsi free but thats another story....

Posts: 114 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose
Master Rewinder
Member # 2033

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rose   Email Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyone have any idea what ever happened to the Skipper's restaraunts?
We have them here in Washington..can I send you a couple????? [Big Grin] Fast food will always be just what it is, fast food. I remember when I was in california back in the 70's and they had Shakey's Pizza Parlor, it was the greatest thing ever to me as a kid, and I could not believe it when I came here and they had one in Washington too, then they shut them down and moved them out of the state. I miss having a nice family atmosphere place to take my kids besides fast food restaurants. I saw a commercial recently where they were promoting Hooters 20th anniversary and their were kids in the commercial in the restaurant..I thought Okay, am I missing something? since when did Hooters become a family restaurant??. Call me prudish, but some things are just better left to imagination, I dont care how great the chicken wings are.

I also remember White Castle, but that was a mid west thing and if I am not mistaken they are still around..you could get a bag of burgers for a buck..okay they were the size of a postage stamp (j/k) but still after your bag, im sure it was satifying..lol. Best part about that whole thing, when I went home to chicago in 1985 after having not been there for almost 20 years..those burgers still tasted the same..maybe it was because I wanted them to, I dont know..

Posts: 150 | From: Lakewood, WA | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaymi
Master Rewinder
Member # 1434

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jaymi   Email Jaymi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know Rose, I am from Chicago originally and have not been back since 1997. I worked at McD's when I was in high school and....(senseless babbling)...anyway I remember White Castles as being about the same, it was Portillos' that was MUCH better....

Thoughts Rosie???

Posts: 348 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose
Master Rewinder
Member # 2033

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rose   Email Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I tell you what..

I left Chicago in 1967 when I was 7 years old and didnt go back until 1985 for a visit, I dont even remember Portillos, sorry [Frown] , but I did remember Popeye's, but I think that was new, cause I didnt remember seeing that before. They have them here where I am now too..dont worry I will do some research on the subject and get back to you. it could be on a different side of town than i grew up on.

Posts: 150 | From: Lakewood, WA | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that Taco Bell's Bean Buritto's with extra cheese were a lot better back then. I think that the variety of food is a lot better today.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy fried chicken. KFC is alright, though not as good as it once was (just my humble opinion).

But to me, the best tasting chicken outlet I ever had was Pioneer Fried Chicken! They prepared it in sort of a brandy-fried (and deep red) batter. Their coating was more spicier and crunchier than KFC's was.

There were Pioneer Chicken outlets all throughout the West Coast U.S. during the 70's and 80's, although not quite as many as KFC.

Unfortunately, there are hardly any outlets today. I read somewhere that there might be five independently-owned franchise locations around, mostly scattered throughout Southern California, but I'm not sure exactly where they are.

Here are pics of their logo and packaging:
http://www.pioneerchicken.us

Anyway, Popeye's Fried Chicken purchased many of the remaining Pioneer outlets in 1993. Popeye's and Church's Fried Chicken are actually owned by the same company, AFC (America's Favorite Chicken company). This is according to Popeye's website.

Oh, well, maybe I'll go to Popeye's tonight!
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home