iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Valley Girl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Valley Girl
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I have a question that I have been dying to see if someone understand the meaning of what was said in "Valley Girl". When Skip goes to Suzy's house to deliver the groceries and her stepmother, Beth, says "Plastics----the time to do something is when the time is right---". What does she mean. I will probablly feel really stupid but it just hasn't hit me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always got the impression she was talkin about condoms, but who knows? Maybe I'm justa pervert. lol.

Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I believe the line you are talking about is a reference to the movie "The Graduate." You know the whole Mrs. Robinson thing...I think they say something about plastics in that movie [Razz] .

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ERIC 31
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1793

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ERIC 31   Author's Homepage   Email ERIC 31   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think cindimancini is right! Someone else mention The Graduate. I've never seen it though.

If I had been Skip, I would have for sure delivered more that the groceries to Beth! Serious MILF. Have you seen her on the 20 years later interviews on the DVD? She's still hot!

Posts: 87 | From: NOR CAL | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cindy is right! its from the graduate. and ha ha eric. [Razz]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good call Cindy!

Tootles! [Wink]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh thanks so much, I am so glad to get the info. Now I want to see the graduate and see if I can pick anything up on it. I can't wait to get Valley Girl dvd.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightiesdude
Master Rewinder
Member # 752

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for eightiesdude   Author's Homepage   Email eightiesdude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Condoms, condoms, its got to be. She liked skip come on it had to be condoms. Especially with the line "The time to do something is when the time is right". Condoms did I tell you it has to be condoms.
Posts: 114 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NottoocoolJulie
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1580

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for NottoocoolJulie   Email NottoocoolJulie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naah..I'm going with "The Graduate" on this too..however, I think it can have either meaning really. Guess it depends on if you've ever seen the Graduate..I have to admit, I didn't have a clue until a couple of years ago when a friend of mine pointed it out..I pretended I already knew that, of course.
Posts: 59 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As CindyMancini pointed out, that scene in "Valley Girl" was indeed inspired by a scene from "The Graduate" (1967), which starred Anne Bancroft, and a then-unknown Dustin Hoffman.

For those who have not seen the movie, let me try to recreate it here:

Benjamin Braddock (played by Hoffman) has just returned home to his parents' house after graduating from college. There is a welcoming party for him, with all the relatives, friends, neighbors and his father's business partners and wives invited.

One guest pulls Benjamin for a quick chat. The dialogue goes...

Guest: I just wanna say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Guest: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Guest: "Plastics."

During the mid-80's, there was a daily comic strip called "Bloom County", where that scene got spoofed too, but with one difference:

Drunk guest: I got one word of advice for you, young man. It will be of great help to you in The Eighties, son.
Steve Dallas: Just one word?
Drunk guest: Just one word.
Steve Dallas: "Plastics"?
Drunk guest: Guns. Disposable guns.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have to dig out the graduate after this topic! I need to know where I can find Bonnie Hayes and the Wild Combo,, the song they sang Some girls I think, why wasn't it on the soundtrack? Where can I find it?
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ERIC 31
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1793

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for ERIC 31   Author's Homepage   Email ERIC 31   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bonnie Hayes and The Wild Combo were from SF. The two songs in Valley Girl are Girls Like Me and Shelly's Boyfriend. They can be found on the long out of print LP "Good Clean Fun" on Slash or on the More Music From Valley Girl CD on Rhino.(Basically part 2 of the soundtrack with all the songs they didn't put on the first one. They were a great, fun band. Bonnie Hayes is still doing music too. [Smile]  -
Posts: 87 | From: NOR CAL | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen the Graduate too, and even if that line is from that movie- what did it mean in that movie?? I never "got" it either, so no wonder Skip was totally confused, and left. I thought she meant condoms too, but she was an older woman, and you'd think she go buy some herself-if she was thinking along the lines of that, maybe??Here's the other thing that confused me, Beth is Suzy's step mother right?? Did her father die? and she lived with just Beth? Cause at the beginning of the movie, at the party where Beth is helping make the sushi, there is a guy there and he seems older, I thought that must be her new boyfriend-(Beth's)? Beth and Suzy's connection kind of confuses me, because it would seem that Suzy's dad hadn't been married long to Beth before he died, then, right?
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh the other confusing part about that converstaion, when she says- the time is right thing, he says" what time is it? and she says "well, it's almost time for Suzy to get home from school." Why did she have him over right then for? And was Skip like in a work release program, cause I thought he went to school with them?
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
I think it was probablly an after school job. And you know Suzy was involved in all of those activities so she probablly was busy for a while after school. Maybe she thought she could get somewhere by having him over then or soften him up for later.
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Like, oh my God! I got Valley Girl today on DVD-in the mail, I hadn't seen the new version, with the commentary of the 20 year reunion thing. I had to go through it fast, cause it was time to get my son from school, but I wanted to see what people looked like now. They all have aged awful. I couldn't believe it. 20 years isn't that much time-I think you should be able to maintain your looks better than that. Look at Cher- in her 40's she looked better than her 20's. The person that aged the best was the Dad. Colleen Camp looked like she was wearing a wig, and the girl that played Stacey and even Lauren, they didn't even look like the same people-or Fred. Actually up until a few years ago I thought Nicholas Cage had aged good, and looked better older- he had his teeth fixed, except in this interview thing, he looked like he had braces or something on his bottom teeth-they looked like metal?? Beth looked the same, did anyone else hear her say she was pregnant during filming? I have to watch the whole thing, it's like my b-day present to myself. My husband did buy me the 1st season of the original Charlie's Angels on DVD, so I have that to watch too. I was shocked though, cause my 20th year class reunion will be in 2 1/2 years, and I don't think I have changed that much. I thought Beth- was maybe in her 30's in the movie-to be the step mom? So, she would be the oldest out of all the others, right, and she looked the best, and would be probably close to 50 or more when they did the 20 year thing, right? It just threw me how different everyone was. You always picture people to look like they did, the last time you saw them, or how you remember them, they stay ageless I guess until you see them older. Bums me out, on my birthday, to think of really going down hill fast now. Geez.
ERIC 31
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1793

Rate Member
Colleen Camp put on at least 50 pounds unfortunately. Heidi Hollicker (Stacy) just has way, way too much makeup on. She looks like an old lady. E.G. Daily is a victim of the LA plastic surgery deal. Why can't people stop with the fake lips? Gross.

Cher looks the way she does thanks the the thousands she has spent on plastic surgery.

Regardless, it was great to hear from them on the extras. Deborah Foreman (Julie) really messed up by not appearing on it. What is her problem?

Sam Hain
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1552

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Sam Hain   Email Sam Hain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by isis9968:
Like, oh my God! I got Valley Girl today on DVD-in the mail, I hadn't seen the new version, with the commentary of the 20 year reunion thing. I had to go through it fast, cause it was time to get my son from school, but I wanted to see what people looked like now. They all have aged awful. I couldn't believe it. 20 years isn't that much time-I think you should be able to maintain your looks better than that. Look at Cher- in her 40's she looked better than her 20's. The person that aged the best was the Dad. Colleen Camp looked like she was wearing a wig, and the girl that played Stacey and even Lauren, they didn't even look like the same people-or Fred. Actually up until a few years ago I thought Nicholas Cage had aged good, and looked better older- he had his teeth fixed, except in this interview thing, he looked like he had braces or something on his bottom teeth-they looked like metal?? Beth looked the same, did anyone else hear her say she was pregnant during filming? I have to watch the whole thing, it's like my b-day present to myself. My husband did buy me the 1st season of the original Charlie's Angels on DVD, so I have that to watch too. I was shocked though, cause my 20th year class reunion will be in 2 1/2 years, and I don't think I have changed that much. I thought Beth- was maybe in her 30's in the movie-to be the step mom? So, she would be the oldest out of all the others, right, and she looked the best, and would be probably close to 50 or more when they did the 20 year thing, right? It just threw me how different everyone was. You always picture people to look like they did, the last time you saw them, or how you remember them, they stay ageless I guess until you see them older. Bums me out, on my birthday, to think of really going down hill fast now. Geez.

One thing you have to remember is that when they filmed the movie they were all wearing make up so in retrospect they probably weren't as attractive in real life as they were on film. Also 20 years is a considerable amount of time, I graduated from high school 20 years ago and I've run into fellow classmates who look totally different now compared to back then.
Posts: 56 | From: Bismarck, ND; hopefully Phoenix, ARIDzona come spring | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home