iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Silent Night/Deadly Night

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Silent Night/Deadly Night
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else remember this controversy about this movie, and them wanting to band it from the theaters? Then they made a million sequels. I have it, but it really is probably one of the most disturbing movie I own, and I bought to see , after all these years, and haven't been able to watch it since.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,
Isis, we had a big thing on controversial movies not all that long ago. I was young, about 10 or so when the movie came out. I saw it, it was horror it had to be done, but yeah, here in NYC it was a big thing, mass media is always the first to tell you the deal.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey isis and devo, i just read that silent night/deadly night is coming out on dvd october 7th. did either of you like this one? i have never seen it.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie,if you really want to be scared, I think it's right up there at the top. It is so disturbing. It is about a boy who sees his parents murdered right in front of him, very graphic, very brutal, by a guy dressed in a Santa Claus suit. Then at Christmas he dresses up as Santa and goes around killing people. It is very depressing. I remember them talking about banning it, but they didn't, of course, and made a million sequels instead, cause the hype gave the controversy more people interested in seeing it. It gives me the total creeps. I could never allow my kid to do a movie like that, that is another thing I have never understood, how they get away with putting children in those type of movies in the first place???
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow! banned huh? i don't recall ever hearing that. but i am curious about it now. it sounds quite disturbing-(the scene you speak of). you know me isis, i love horror/thrillers. so maybe this would be good to catch just in time for halloween.
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenkobra
Master Rewinder
Member # 892

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kenkobra   Email kenkobra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember this movie. It was great, that is for the time. I thought they changed the name of the movie a few years after the release?
Posts: 224 | From: AZ | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Oh yeah, this is going to be bought. The collection of Banned movies is an important one.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DVD??????????? Yep, I'm there.

Not just one of the best slashers of the 80s, but the only good holiday one in my opinion. Actually was able to incorporate some halfway believable and justifiable phsycology into a horror.

The sled beheading is the funniest damn kill in any horror film. I still bust out laughing at how dumb it is as the kids head comes boing-boing-boinging down the slope.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Hain
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1552

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Sam Hain   Email Sam Hain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The impaling on the stuffed deer's antlers is a riot also.
Posts: 56 | From: Bismarck, ND; hopefully Phoenix, ARIDzona come spring | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I guess guys thinks it's funny, I thought it was gross.

McFly- did you ever see Black Christmas, with Margot Kidder??- that's a creepy Christmas movie.

mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be warned...its great,but in a Cult Classic way. its no Masterpiece by serious standards. but if you like cheesy so-bad-its-good,this is pretty much the apex. Its not scarey for adults,but I will give them props:the reindeer scene IS unforgettable!! "NAUGHTY!!!!!!!!!!!"
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I've talked to a lot of people online who've hated it. For me it worked, the antlers, the sledders, and the final line is hilarious. The sequel is atrocious, or any of the sequels for that matter. "Christmas Evil", "Don't Open till Christmas", "New Years Evil", "Black Xmas", nothing else has matched SNDN. Really looking forward to the directors commentary.
Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I like New Year's Evil, it is so cheesey-it has Pinkie Tuscadero in it- Roz Kelly.
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Years Evil....I must've missed that one!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should be required viewing for every 80's horror fan! It's completely cheesy at times and obviously very dated, but it is effective at being scary. A large portion of the movie takes place in a toy store - this brings back all of the nostalgia with toys from that era.

The soundtrack is ridiculous but does add a certain charm to the movie.

Linnea Quigley's death scene is super creepy and memorable.

The shooting locations (Utah I think) also adds to the winter/christmas creepiness.

Also...It's on Tubi!!

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Veronica! I’m adding it to my Tubi list. I’m currently watching CBGB on Tubi, a factionalized account of the famed nightclub, starring Alan Rickman.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with Veronica, Silent Night Deadly Night is a fun Christmas slasher! I love the store the main character ends up working at and seeing all the 80’s toys. Takes me back to my childhood.

The locations and houses they used just completely capture the time. Between the pool table and antlers, it doesn’t get more 80’s Americana than that! Let us know what you think Pittsburgh girl.

P.S. I watched CBGB too. I wanted to take a shower after watching it. Lol! So gritty. I did like the music scenes w Talking Heads, Ramones, Blondie, Iggy and Patti!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home