iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Things of the 80’s that traumatized me - ahhhh

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Things of the 80’s that traumatized me - ahhhh
Frankie Lives In Hollywood
Rewind Curious
Member # 1781

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Frankie Lives In Hollywood   Email Frankie Lives In Hollywood       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Death Wish (all of them)
Blue Velvet
Angel (the avenging hooker)
The Rivers Edge
Julian Lennon
Footloose
The movie with that weirdo that acted like James Cagney masterbating to a poster of Marilyn Monroe (that ws wrong, man - just wrong)
DC Rocks (dinosaurs screwing to death - aarg)
DC Cabs
DeBarge ???

Ok this upsetting me now...I have to go now...

Posts: 6 | From: Hollywood | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poltergeist traumatized me to the point of I had to look under my bed every night, cause of that clown grabbing the boy, plus I hate the scene where the steak moves across the table, then the guy rips the flesh off his face, that's yucky!

The Legacy traumatized my brother to the point he could not dive under water, cause of the scene with the woman who was the professional swimmer, she comes up for air, and it is like glass, and she can't get out.

The scene in When a Stanger Calls, and the guy is calling from upstairs! EEK!

Audrey Rose is a scary traumatic movie.

Salem's Lot-to this day-I can not watch, I was afraid of vampires floating up and scratching on my window at night.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frankie Lives In Hollywood
Rewind Curious
Member # 1781

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Frankie Lives In Hollywood   Email Frankie Lives In Hollywood       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn you just reminded me of...
The Shining - Mainly the TWINS in the hallway
Cats - the flesh eater in the bathroom
American Werewlf in London - the movie theater - blah!

Posts: 6 | From: Hollywood | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EnglishRose
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 175

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for EnglishRose   Email EnglishRose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That film with the killer bees made me not want to have a bath for a week (although I was about 7 when I saw it).

Frankie lives in Hollywood - I'm curious why did Julian Lennon traumatize you???

Posts: 23 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retrohpink
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1832

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for retrohpink   Author's Homepage   Email retrohpink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the shinning did traumatize me. alot. i saw it when i was in 6th grade. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 65 | From: lisbon, portugal | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, The preview for the Shining traumatized me, honestly to the point I had to run in to the other room, cause I was too scared to change the channel, it was the kid being chased through the maze scene, that did something to me. I had an older friend in college, and his room # at his dorm, was the same as the hotel room number in the Shining, and he would go around freaking me out saying REDRUM! over and over.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, that girl in the bathroom in the Shining still gives me the creeps. But I have never enjoyed puppets. To this day I hate them, I think it started from seeing the Dark Crystal as a kid. Just the dark creepy atmosphere. Didn't enjoy Fraggle rock much either, remember one episode where there was a very creepy puppet playing a villain. Also the Beast Within was kind of disturbing for me.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spyke65
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1746

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for spyke65   Email spyke65   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 9 Year old niece recently told me that The Shining was her favorite movie and can watch it over and over again!

I don't spook too easily, since I know all those movies you guys mentioned were "just a movie" and I went to bed with no problem! [Razz]

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Kids On The Block.
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j banana
Rewinder
Member # 1714

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for j banana   Email j banana   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it took me a long long time to get over the part in the shining where he axes the black guy. oh my. and david lynch has a pretty traumatizing effect on me as well.
Posts: 37 | From: CA...on the southern side | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sLoveBug
Rewinder
Member # 1607

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sLoveBug   Email 80'sLoveBug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with everyone that said The Shining as something traumetizing in the 80's..but wha has me wigged out now is the return of the leg warmers.... [Eek!]
Posts: 39 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Banshee
Master Rewinder
Member # 1829

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Banshee   Email Banshee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apologies for being a pedant but ...

Salem's Lot, Audrey Rose, Death Wish (1), The Killer Bees (or The Swarm) are all from the 70's.

I suppose you could change the title to 'Things that traumatised me whose effects carried on through the 80's' [Smile]

Posts: 125 | From: Surrey, U.K. | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well,
as long as you brought up the 70's, i'm gonna go w/ the crusifix scene in the excorist....u know what I'm talkin about. that was some scary ish! [Eek!]

Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Some of the things that traumatized me carried over in to my adult life, yep. I remember HBO coming out in 1980- is that right? And that's when I saw most of these movies, and I remember Salem's Lot being on regular TV, and the picture in the tv guide had that kid floating up to the window, I couldn't pick up the tv guide- cause he was in there.
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my best friend lives in upstate New york...the country part. we watched the Shining on tv as kids and when it was over we said "that wasnt so scarey". then a few nights later she was babysitting and we had to walk home on a strech of road in the dark and in the snow. Terrifying. ya thought Jack Nicholson was gonna pop out behind every tree! The Shining still comes to mind everytime I stay in a hotel. whenever I walk down a long corridar I think Im gonna see those creepy twins"Come and play with us Danny. Forever and ever and ever") and whenever I call an elevator Im sure a tidfal wave of bloods gonna pour out of it.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jones4Rio
Rewinder
Member # 1848

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jones4Rio   Email Jones4Rio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so glad to finally have encountered others who were traumatized by "The Shining". Everything about that film wigs me out.

My parents actually TOOK ME to the movies with them to see that!! I was like 5 years old! I had nightmares for months. I hope my dad was cursing himself every night when he had to get out of bed to wake me up from a screaming nightmare. Dude, it seriously scared the crap out of me. Everything about it. Every moment. The mood, feel, very essence of that film scares me. BAD parental decision.

I was terrified of Freddy Krueger. Remember when he was actually scary and not a stand-up comedian throwing out one-liners? I had a lot of nightmares as a kid and the idea that I could be killed in them really messed with me.

The first time I saw "Evil Dead" was at a slumber party in grade school. ACK! That zombie in the cellar and the one that giggled maniacally. Oh lord.

But "The Shining" really messed me up.

Posts: 48 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oooh...just read the other posts...and someone mentioned that scene in The Legacy where the top of the pool turns to glass. I hated that!!! To this day I think thats gonna happen whenever Im in a pool!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumncricket
Rewind Curious
Member # 1875

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for autumncricket   Email autumncricket   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the first FACES OF DEATH....I never did get over that. I wish someone had warned me before I saw it....but some unforeseen force prevented me from turning it off....why is that?
Posts: 7 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumncricket
Rewind Curious
Member # 1875

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for autumncricket   Email autumncricket   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't a movie that freaked me out...but I will mention it anyway: The Hunger, oh yeah...Cat People also.
Posts: 7 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the movie Prom Night really messed me up as a kid. If I am remembering this right, someone finds a pair of just legs in like grey tights under a blanket in a dark gym...I haven't seen it since so I'm not sure how accurate my depiction is. I just remember freaking cause the elementary school I went to was really old and had a gym in the basement of the building that was hadn't been used since the 50's or something. They built a new one on the first floor so no one ever went down there except to clean erasers in the one hallway...It was wicked creepy [Eek!]
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is for Ali with an I...how could NKOTB traumatize you? Cute little Joey McIntyre...he was adorable. Besides, I hung out with them a few times...lol!! Seriously [Cool] .
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I too was a fan. I went to a concert with my sister and sat in the third row. After they sang I'll Be Loving You Forever, JOey pointed at me and said "I'll be loving only you". Granted, he had just said it to 4 other girls before me, but I was young and a Joey Fanatic. I had such a huge crush on him. None of the boys at school were cute enough or dressed cool enough. None of them were Joey. This upset me. It's rather funny now, I don't think he's cute anymore but when your 12 you're crazy. I see all the girls that were in love with Nsync and the Backstreet Boys and I see myself in the 80s. Hahahaha, thank God I have moved on. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home