iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » When did the 80's truly end??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When did the 80's truly end??
Hordak
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1772

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hordak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it 1989 or slightly later (in reality)? Obviously I'm talking about the style of movie-making you saw over various genres/franchises in the late 1980's as this, for me, seemed to continue into the 90's perhaps as far as early/mid '91. I personally consider all of the following to be honorary 80's movies but what do u think??

Another 48 Hours
AWOL
Back To The Future Pt 3
Bird On A Wire
Bonfire Of The Vanities
Days Of Thunder
Die Hard 2: Die Harder
Flatliners
Ghost
Gremlins 2: The New Batch
Highlander 2: The Quickening
Home Alone
Jacob's Ladder
Memphis Belle
Nightbreed
Predator 2
Pretty Woman
Quick Change
RoboCop 2
Rocky 5
Three Men & A Little Lady
Total Recall
Wild At Heart

IMO Silence of the Lambs & T2 were the first films to really scream "NINETIES", but this is just my opinion so would really like to hear the views of others on here.

Cheers!
H.

(PS. apologies if this thread's been done a million times already! [Roll Eyes] [Wink] )

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 97 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duckie
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Duckie   Author's Homepage   Email Duckie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Hordak, great topic..

Personally I think that Ghost, Pretty Woman and Three Men and a Little Lady seemed very 80's.. particularly Ghost.

As for Home Alone, that one seems kind of 90's to me.

Duckie [Smile]

Posts: 54 | From: A Smoky Jazz Club | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RiverPhoenix4life
Rewind Maestro
Member # 1719

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for RiverPhoenix4life   Email RiverPhoenix4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree w/ practically the whole list. Just FYI, but The Back To The Future Movies II and III were made at the same time in the 80's... cuz the filmmakers thought Michael J was startin to look too old. go figure! In my opinion, I think empire Records(1995) really captures the true essence of an 80's film. great cast, great movie... one of my favs! [Big Grin]
Posts: 754 | From: Orange County CA | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bratpack4ever
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great topic, Hordak! I totally agree with you. I have one that seemed so eighties, that a lot of people on this site think that it came out in the eighties. Don't Tell Mom - The Babysitter's Dead came out in 1991 and I think it is litterally jampacked with eighties culture and style.

Bratpack 4 ever!!

| Site Updates: 0 IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willman85
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1215

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for willman85   Email willman85   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buddy's Song, anyone? The film that starred Chesney Hawkes and launched his singing career. I think that it has a quite 80s style. And another one I'd consider is Only The Lonely with John Candy and Ally Sheady.
Posts: 72 | From: Hertfordshire UK | Registered: Nov 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hordak
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1772

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hordak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey thanks 4 the replies every1, first thread & all, appreciated! :-)

@ RiverPhoenix4life - can't say I've seen this Empire Records flick but from what u say it sounds like a top movie; will deffo seek it out thanks [Smile]

@ willman85 - make that 2 with Only The Lonely, tho something tells me I've seen this already & can't quite recall it... [Frown] [Roll Eyes]

Anyhow cheers! [Smile]

PS. Just thought of another, '12:01' (1993), a time-travel flick similar to Groundhog Day starring Jonathan Silverman & Helen Slater. Not sure it's that well known (might've been a TV movie??), still it has an unmistakable 80's vibe to it just from the two leads if nothing else, well worth checking out [Cool]

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 97 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,
But movie wise I think we officially knew it was the 90's when the movie Singles came out. The soundtrack was something we had never heard before, and grunge and getting old took over for pop and teens.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you want to be technical, the year 1980 was the last year of the 70s, and the year 1990 was the last year of the 80s.

I'd agree with the choices on your list, and I would also toss in "New Jack City", "The Last Boy Scout", "Wayne's World" and "Demolition Man" as 80s-type movies.

For me, the 90s truly came to the movies when Spielberg made "Schindler's List" in 1993. From there on out, with the exception of "Jurassic Park: The Lost World", the movies he directed were for adult audiences. He would only executive-produce escapist entertainment, and even then, he would stop that around 1997's "Men In Black". Back in the 80s, his production company Amblin Entertainment was doing 4 or 5 movies a year. Nowadays, 1 or 2, and they're always Dreamworks movies.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...The Rock Steady Flamethrower

If 1980 was the last year of the 70s, then the critics' pick for best movie of the 80s ("Raging Bull") wasn't even made in that decade. Then again, critics hate the 80s altogether.

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home