iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » Whats the weirdest movie that you have ever seen, or that left you feeling strange?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whats the weirdest movie that you have ever seen, or that left you feeling strange?
leopardpantsmoodlipstick
Rewinder
Member # 916

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for leopardpantsmoodlipstick   Email leopardpantsmoodlipstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mind Warp,Altered States,Shocking Asia,Creepers(I think that there was two made,so its the one about some girl who's mind could control bugs)(John Saul wrote a book kind of similar) Also "Midnight Expree." Its a movie about some regular guy who was smuggling blocks of hash and got arrested and stuck in a turkish prison and all that he went through mentally and phsically.The music from this movie makes the hair on my arms stand up. It was a good movie though.Have you seen any of these?
Posts: 34 | From: CT,U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leopardpantsmoodlipstick
Rewinder
Member # 916

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for leopardpantsmoodlipstick   Email leopardpantsmoodlipstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot the S in "Midnight Express." ooops.
Posts: 34 | From: CT,U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonsai
Rewind Curious
Member # 1250

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Bonsai   Email Bonsai   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Donnie Darko, Memento, Gummo...to name a few.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McFly
Rewind Jedi
Member # 354

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for McFly   Email McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, from the 80s, I'd say Sleepaway Camp. To see that girl with the weenie at the end, and she's all groaning into the camera, then it goes all green with the creepy music, that was dang weird.

But of all the movies I've seen, one from 95 called The Doom Generation was just the strangest film experience I've ever had.

Posts: 1251 | From: Anaheim, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OConner880
Master Rewinder
Member # 415

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for OConner880   Email OConner880   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well this one was released a few years ago, it obviously wasnt weird but it leaves you with a 'What??' look on your face because of how it ends..thats 'Arlington Road'. I was always crazy about Joan Cusack which is why I went to see it, they've never made a movie like that before. Someone told me it actually sat on the shelf for a year after it was filmed because nobody knew how to release it or if it would be acceptable to the public. It shows a realistic explosion of the FBI office in Washington that would probably cause the movie to be banned if were to be released today. All I remember is there were people in the theatre of every age above 17 and there werent a lot of people talking on their way out.
Posts: 186 | From: Saint James, NY, USA | Registered: May 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hezibaby
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 222

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hezibaby   Email Hezibaby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weirdest movies that I've ever seen would have to be two David Lynch movies. "Mullholland Drive" and "The Lost Highway". Very strange movies. Oh, and I loved "Donnie Darko".
Posts: 29 | From: Bradenton, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wizard
The 80s Hero you've been holding out for....
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for The Wizard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Videodrome (1983), merging reality with video in an extreme and surreal way, first time I saw it it left me with a "what the hell was that?" feeling with a touch of "are there any more films like this? I hope so!"
Posts: 1334 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fog-80
Rewinder
Member # 1254

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for fog-80   Email fog-80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a film, I think it was called "Society" or something.....

That was a bit wierd. This whole community was made up of aliens undercover as humans. All apart from one guy. I think it was meant to be one big conspiracy against him. It's hard to explain, as you might imagine from a wierdy film.

Posts: 43 | From: Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Akita
Master Rewinder
Member # 1257

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Akita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother let me watch a movie called Asyllum when I was very young, the story of 4 loonies, very old. Also The Killing of America,never got over that!
quote:
Originally posted by leopardpantsmoodlipstick:
Mind Warp,Altered States,Shocking Asia,Creepers(I think that there was two made,so its the one about some girl who's mind could control bugs)(John Saul wrote a book kind of similar) Also "Midnight Expree." Its a movie about some regular guy who was smuggling blocks of hash and got arrested and stuck in a turkish prison and all that he went through mentally and phsically.The music from this movie makes the hair on my arms stand up. It was a good movie though.Have you seen any of these?

Posts: 109 | From: Thuringowa,Queensland,Australia | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlynn
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 854

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for jlynn   Email jlynn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to say the one movie that I saw that I absolutely can not follow is "Jacobs Ladder". I watch it and think now what did I just watch. We actually have it on video tape. But it definately isn't my movie....
Posts: 27 | From: Littleton, CO, USA | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massiveretaliation
Master Rewinder
Member # 950

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for massiveretaliation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Mountain of the Cannibal God" (1978) with Stacey Keach and Ursula Andress. I haven't seen many movies in the cannibal genre (I hear there are worse). In this movie a man has sexual relations with a giant pig and there is interspersed footage of real animal slaughter, all of it staged for the camera. One of the worst I've seen
Posts: 168 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nyx
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1238

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nyx   Email Nyx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While this may not be on everyone's list, The Serpent and the Rainbow still has scenes in it that bug me to this day.
Posts: 18 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liquid dreams
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 1233

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for liquid dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched a movie called 'After Hours' directed by Martin Scorsese a mid 80s gem it was wierd but wonderful!

Ain't seen Sleepaway Camp but heard enough people say that the ending is proper wierd and disturbing.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
born in the eighties
Master Rewinder
Member # 627

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for born in the eighties   Email born in the eighties   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok...of the 80's..

david lynch pilot of...TWIN PEAKS(the midget/dwarf did disturb me)
hmmm...

donnie darko didnt leave me strange, it was just wild i guess!!

mullholland drive, lost highway, spider(new film), Adaptation(Oh my god),being john malcovich, gummo,EraserHEAD,.. there are plenty...

Posts: 109 | From: london | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celticbabe
Master Rewinder
Member # 664

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for celticbabe   Email celticbabe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One movie that made a real impression on my mind is "The Day After" which is a film that depicts what it will be like should there ever be a nuclear war. People disintegrating and shadows burned to walls was a real eye opener.

Someone mentioned Jacob's Ladder. It's a great movie if you know what you are watching.It's important to remember that the whole film is basically Jacob's life flashing before his eyes as he lay there wounded in the jungle of Vietnam. The movie is what Jacob's life would have been like if he "decided" to live.
At the end, of course, we know what his decision was when he dies and goes to join his young son. [Smile]

Posts: 125 | Registered: Dec 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lathrop
Rewind Curious
Member # 1262

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for lathrop   Email lathrop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's one weird movie which I am amazed does not have a page on here yet-Flash Gordon. It's a physcedellic movie camp filled fun fest from 1980 that is a cult classic.
Posts: 1 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leopardpantsmoodlipstick:

Are you referring to just the "weirdest" or "strangest" movies in the 80's? Or just movies regardless of the decade?

If it's the latter, then I could come up with my own list later on.

But if it's just 80's stuff, there's already a thread that I started called "The Most Unusual 80's Movie?"

Just curious on your original question, that's all.

Oh, and BTW, "Midnight Express" was a great, powerful, and admittedly disturbing movie based on the true story of Billy Hayes. Unfortunately, Brad Davis (who played Billy) and Irene Miracle (as Billy's girlfriend) didn't have more better parts in their careers!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carebearstare
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 658

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for carebearstare   Email carebearstare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two:

Empire of the Sun (Spielberg - check it out!)

and

Half Past Midnight (scary memories of sleepovers and nightmares...)

Have fun!

Posts: 29 | From: NY USA | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikie_CA
Senior Rewinder
Member # 369

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mikie_CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Motel Hell. I would say Pulp Fiction but that was a 90s movie.
Posts: 66 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home