iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2023) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2023)
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lust for a Vampire (1971) It’s pretty cheesy.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

L'altro inferno aka The Other Hell (1981)

Surprisingly entertaining low-budget Bruno Mattei/Claudio Fragasso nunsploitation horror film. Wicked atmosphere with a stolen Goblin (the band) score = works [Smile] 7/10

-

Sleepstalker (1995)

This was a pretty boring straight to video fantasy horror film. A serial killer called Sandman is on the loose and Jay Underwood is the target. 4/10

-

Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist (2005)

Better than the Harlin version but not that special i´m afraid. The pace is very slow and sometimes it feels like a British afternoon tv-show. Paul Schrader can do much better but i think that the Exorcist franchise is doomed. 6/10

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

White of the Eye (1987)

This was a good Donald Cammell (Demon Seed) psychological thriller with horror elements. Nice Arizona scenery, believable dialogue plus David Keith and Cathy Moriarty give good performances. 7/10

-

Close Calls (2017)

Yes, i fell in love with Jordan Phipps who wears nothing but her underwear almost the whole film. But at the same time this modern giallo/slasher is just too long and confusing. 4/10

-

Escalofrio aka Satan´s Blood (1978)

Wow, what a crazy Spanish film. Satanism and nudity is the name of the game here. Somewhat enjoyable but also very frustrating stuff. 5/10

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Last Night in Soho (2021)

This was a good mystery film from Edgar Wright but i expected even better. I would still recommend the film because it´s very well made and the cast rocks. 7/10

-

Nightmare aka Nightmare in a Damaged Brain (1981)

I enjoyed this Romano Scavolini psychological slasher very much. Oppressive atmosphere, New York 42nd street magic [Big Grin] and supernasty kills. 8/10

-

Symptoms (1974)

Nice psychological mystery thriller directed by Jose Ramon Larraz. Just like in Nightmare, the main character suffers from strong trauma and bad things happen. Loved the British countryside scenery and slow tempo. 7/10

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Really Haunted Loud House (2023) - And I thought I had it bad that time when one house was giving out sandwiches to trick or treaters. Toothbrushes is the work of pure evil. Cheesy, cute fun. 7/10

Night Of The Creeps (1986) - The first time I watched this I just thought it was alright. But everytime since it goes up another point. I really loved this teen romance/Shivers lite horror comedy this go. I laughed everytime Tom the man said 'Thrill me.' While this film is mostly tongue in cheek I do find that part when the dead guy crashes up through the floorboards really unsettling. 8/10

The Exorcist: Believer (2023) - Eh, this was alright. I don't rate the original very highly at all. I only really like part 3. So I don't have this big mantle to compare. I actually enjoyed more of the family drama than the spooks. I liked the Dad and daughter relationship. I am a bit fed up of the grief aspect in horrors, but this was done well, not overblown at all. So the girl who played Angela was pretty good, unfortunately the other was not, way too comical with her expressions and such. I liked how they went where I didn't think they would. And the death about 10 mins from the end was fantastic, CCCCCRRRRUUUUUNCCCCCCCCHHH [Big Grin] I liked the subtle Tubular Bells too. 6/10

Boys From County Hell (2020) - This was a really enjoyable little Irish horror. It's hard to do a such a film differently after so many but this succeeds. The synopsis on TV said it was a comedy horror which is crap. Some banter between characters does not make it so. It's mostly straight. Loved the boar action and some decent gore. 7/10

Pin (1988) - Glad I finally got to this. It was really great. One of the most effective of these psychological dummy films. I was genuinely creeped out throughout and then that ending made me wanna cry. Great performances by all. 8/10

Tales Of Halloween (2015) - Watched the last 5 Octobers, couldn't see it changing now. So cosy. 8/10

Crawlspace (2022) - Bit of a weird thriller/comedy with splashes of Home Alone. 6/10

And a bunch of shorts: Expensive S**t (2020) - 6/10, Bloody Mary (1992) - 6/10, Evil Of Dracula (1997) - 6/10, Crow Hand!!! (2014) - 8/10, The Haunted House (1906) - 7/10, Lonely Water (1973) - 7/10, Pumpkin D**k (2019) - 3/10, Whiskey Fist (2017) - 6/10 and Kiss Kiss Fingerbang (2015) - 5/10

[ 29. October 2023, 14:54: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Censor (2021) - A couple of ok bits but overall really boring. And trying to make me feel sorry for a censor person? On yer bike! 2/10

Halloween (2018) - Begging my future self to not watch this for a 4th time. It was an absolute chore to sit through this time and goes down everytime. First time 6/10, second 5/10 and now 3/10 Bleh!

Stepfather III (1992) - Well, you know straight away as it opens with a back alley plastic surgeon drinking and smoking all over his open wounds to give him a new face that this one was going full ham. The new guy is no Terry O'Quinn but he still is fabulously demented. Some great kills and they did him wrong at the end there. I wanted the kid to die. Great trilogy. 7/10

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Dog Soldiers (2002)

Rewatch from 4K release and this Neil Marshall debut was better than i remembered. The werewolves look cool and i like the desperation feel the soldiers have during the siege. 8/10

-

All Hallows´ Eve (2013)

I recall that Helen watched this last year. This is Damien Leone´s debut film and it´s a pretty good anthology. Art the Clown is one mean SOB [Smile] 6/10

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Last two:

-

All Hallows´ Eve 2 (2015)

No Damien Leone (he was the producer), no Art the Clown so this was a very poor anthology film. I only somewhat enjoyed the first two episodes Jack Attack and The Last Halloween. 3/10

-

Halloween (1978)

The original and the best. I understand that this may be too slow for modern horror fan but i´m as old school as they come. BTW, that is the original Finnish movie poster. 10/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Yeah, All Hallows Eve 2 was a huge dropdown. Enjoyed reading along with your watches atomik [Smile]

Here's the last 2 days of October but as always I gone on until 5th November.

Five Nights At Freddy's (2023) - When it started up I was like 'Agghhh, not grief horror agaaaaaaaaain' and it was just way too plodding. The only thing really getting me through the first half was the great performance by Josh Hutcherson. It did win me around in the second half though. That story is so friggin' dark, I wish I was 7 or 8 watching it, it would scar me for life haha. 6/10

Goosebumps II: Haunted Halloween (2018) - Cute, becoming a regular. 7/10

Halloween (1978) - Halloween [Razz] 10/10

Spooky Bats And Scaredy Cats: A Halloween Tale (2009) - Always watch this adorable half an hour stop motion. 8/10

Hocus Pocus (1993) - I've never been crazy in love with this but it's just a nice easy watch. 7/10

Trick 'R Treat (2007) - Always. 10/10 and its original animated short Season's Greetings (1996) - 8/10

Halloween III: Season Of The Witch (1982) - Duh. 10/10

[ 02. November 2023, 18:35: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks Helen, you are a halloween legend [Smile] Love Trick ´r Treat and Halloween III. Five Nights at Freddy´s is filling theaters here in Finland. The director Emma Tammi is half Finnish if you didn´t know [Wink]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
[Smile] Are you going to go and see it? Would be interested to see what you make of it.
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Halloween (2007) - I guess I'm always gonna watch this one now as I love part 2 now so just feels right to watch as well. 6/10

Terrifier (2016) - Cutie pie [Razz] 8/10

Halloween II (2009) - That Annie death is still so heartbreaking. 8/10

Plus a TV special Dead Line (2018) - 6/10 and a Mickey Mouse short [Razz] The Haunted House (1929) - 7/10

5 left and then I'm done [Smile]

[ 03. November 2023, 16:44: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
[Smile] Are you going to go and see it? Would be interested to see what you make of it.

Not in theaters but i know that my son demands i get the bluray, he´s a massive horror fan. So yeah, i´ll check it our later [Cool]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
[Smile]

The Haunted Pumpkin Of Sleepy Hollow (2002) - Cute 45 minute animation. 7/10

Casper (1995) - Can I keep you? will never not be creepy. 8/10

Hatchet (2006) - A staple for around this time now. 8/10

Monster House (2006) - Hello leaaaaaaaves [Big Grin] 8/10

A Quiet Place, Part II (2020) - I thought it was so much more tense and exciting than the first. I just woulda liked there to have been even more of the how it all started parts, they were my fave. 8/10

V For Vendetta (2005) - As always to end. 10/10

Give it a week or two and I'll be onto the Christmas films [Razz]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son saw Five nights of Freddy's and said it was interesting.
Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Haha, good choice of word [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home