iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 80's Movies » The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2020) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Halloween Scary Movie Thread (2020)
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As nobody has started it [Razz]

Let's go  -

October:

Hotel Transylvania - 8
Halloween (2007) - 6
Mr. Halloween - 4
Halloween II (2009) - 8
FirstBorn (2016) - 6
Dracula (1958) - 9
The Row (2018) - 6
The Brides Of Dracula - 10
The Phantom Of The Opera (1962) - 8
Patient Zero (2018) - 7
Dracula: Prince Of Darkness - 10
Dracula Has Risen From The Grave - 8
The Terminator - 9
Taste The Blood Of Dracula - 8
Terminator II: Judgement Day - 9
Scars Of Dracula - 8
Ghost Stories (2017) - 6
Dracula A.D. 1972 - 5
The Abandoned (2006) - 6
The Satanic Rites Of Dracula - 8
The Crimes Of Stephen Hawke - 7
The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires - 8
The Hound Of The Baskervilles (2002) - 8
Never Hike Alone - 6
Never Hike In The Snow - 7
The Houses Of Halloween - 6
Monster House (2006) - 8
Selfie From Hell (2018) - 4
Tales Of Halloween - 8
Leprechaun Returns - 7
Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors (1965) - 8
The Haunted House Of Horror - 7
The Body Stealers - 6
The Beast In The Cellar - 8
The House That Dripped Blood - 10
Virgin Witch - 1
Asylum (1972) - 8
Echoes Of Fear - 4
The Blood On Satan's Claw - 6
The Beast Must Die (1974) - 10
Scooby-Doo! And The Goblin King - 7
The Ascent (2019) - 5
Witchfinder General - 10
Hellions - 7
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later - 7
And Now The Screaming Starts! - 10
Hatchet - 7
13 Ghosts (1960) - 7
The Ghost (1963) - 9
St. Agatha - 7
Offerings - 6
Creepshow - 10
The Secret Of Marrowbone - 7
Halloween (1978) - 10
Spooky Bats And Scaredy Cats - A Halloween Tale - 8
Trick 'r Treat (2007) - 10
Season's Greetings (1996) - 8
Halloween III: Season Of The Witch - 10

1st - 5th November:

Fright Fest - 5
Halloween Is Grinch Night - 6
Spring (2014) - 8
Cold Skin - 7
This Is Halloween - 7
Halloween II (2009) - 8
V For Vendetta - 9

[ 05. November 2020, 16:26: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hotel Transylvania - Just wanted to start off with something daft. This rewatch brought me so much joy. I think I cracked my face. 8/10

Halloween (2007) - So this is like the 5th or 6th time I've watched this and I'm still just so conflicted. The early parts are filmed well, the one who plays young Michael is good and I find the scenes in the asylum between him and his Mum genuinely moving. But I just don't need this backstory and for so long as well. I like the mystery. My favourite parts are when Laurie and her friends come into it, all the goofing around and the whole thing looks delicious, couldn't look and feel anymore October. I think Scout Taylor-Compton is ok although much, much better in the second film. I used to really hate the final parts of this cos it just didn't feel enough but I'm coming around a little bit now and the last shot is fab. I feel like my score may increase somewhere down the line but for now sticking with 6/10

Mr. Halloween - I think this was a student film, well at least looked and felt like one. Some dodgy acting with one guy looking at the camera a lot and unsteady camera action. I don't wanna be mean though. Their hearts were in the right place and there were some fun effects. Woulda been a much more fun slasher if they'd trimmed half an hour or so off. 4/10

Halloween II (2009) - I only really liked the opening when I first watched this but then a couple of years ago I just had an absolute ball with it one night. I'm raising my score yet again as I now love and think it is a brilliant film. I love the brutality, some really savage kills in here. Love the Halloween party, drunk Laurie, Honkytonk Halloween. The hallucinations, hmm, I can take or leave them. They're not too intrusive anyhow. But most of all what I love is the relationship between Laurie, Annie and her Dad with Annie's death being amongst the most heartbreaking slasher deaths ever for me. I also really appreciate the harrowing PTSD themes. Scout Taylor-Compton is on another level here compared to her ok performance in the first film. And that Psychoesque ending shot is just great. 8/10

[ 02. October 2020, 15:45: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked hotel transylvania but haven't seen the other 3. Were the 2 halloween s you mentioned on the same map as the original with Jamie Lee?

I watched last House on the left. Yyyyyyeah. This one is a little out there. I didn't like it

Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) Rewatch 7/10.

While it´s not the masterpiece it seemed when i was younger, it´s still fun stuff and John Vernon definitely steals the show.

-

The Wolfman (2010) 7/10

Entertaining remake with lots of action and it´s surprisingly gory. Check out the director´s cut if you can.

-

The Monster Squad (1987) Rewatch 7/10

Rewatched this with my son and it was so cool to see The Monster Squad again now after our Universal Classic Monsters marathon.

-

The Slayer (1982) 5/10

A bit disappointing supernatural slasher considering it was one of those UK video nasties.
However, i enjoyed the exotic location (Tybee island) and The Slayer includes few cool moments and kills.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
lol Terd, was it the original or remake that you watched? The original I find really disturbing until the hilarious ending.

I rewatched Killer Klowns again the other month, still so much fun [Smile]

I didn't watch any feature films Saturday as I spent the whole day watching a virtual horror film festival. It had 27 new shorts and 5 old ones by Bloody Cuts that I had seen before. Apart from one section that was quite a chore to get through I had a lot of fun. I'm not going to include them in my list but will just put my ratings out of 10 in this post.

Short Showcase 1:
Hexercise (18mins) - 7
Unholy ‘Mole (6mins) - 7
Stained (10mins) - 6
Franky (1min) - 7
The Body (12mins) - 7
Horrorscope (5mins) - 4

Short Showcase 2:
Dead Teenage Seance (20mins) - 7
Dig Ophelia Dig (12mins) - 7
Santa Baby (11mins) - 8
Malakout (12mins) - 6

Short Showcase 3:
Meat is Murder (15mins) - 5
Make a Wish (8mins) - 7
Yesterday will be Tomorrow (13mins) - 5
Show me Jack (6mins) - 5
Narrow (10mins) - 4
The Housewife (3mins) - 6
Backward Creep (5mins) - 5

Short Showcase 4:
Perfectionist (16mins) - 5
The New Freddy (3mins) - 7
A Christmas Nightmare (13mins) - 7
There’s Someone in the Garden (5mins) - 5
Deadly Scare (7mins) - 6
Guest (12mins) - 7

Short Showcase 5:
Snarl (20mins) - 6
Sleep Tight (11mins) - 6
Replica (12mins) - 5
Salt Water Taffy (10mins) - 6

Bloody Cuts Short Showcase:
Suckablood (7mins) - 7
Don’t Move (14mins) - 8
The Outer Darkness (25mins) - 7
Don’t go Down to Wildor (5mins) - 7
The Birch (5mins) - 7
The Nest (5mins) - 8

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
FirstBorn (2016) - This was a decent and depressing little film following a family's nightmare after their daughter is stalked by evil entities from birth. Well acted but could be a little dull in spots. 6/10
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All these really cool feature films and interesting shorts you guys watched.. and what did i see ?

-

Long Time Dead (2002)

Tiresome, cliché-ridden British horror film about Ouija-boards and demonic possession.. we've all seen it before.
Okay, it is well shot and has some decent actors in it, i'll give it that.. but otherwise it seriously lacks originality.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Yikes Johnny, I remember that mess!
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Dracula (1958) - 9/10 and The Brides Of Dracula - 10/10 Posted about those in the 70s thread [Smile]

The Row (2018) - A decent sorority slasher that's definitely worth one watch. 6/10

The Phantom Of The Opera (1962) - When I first watched this Hammer version years ago I liked but didn't love. I think I felt it was just too cold for a Phantom film, that there was no love for Christine and it was all just business. But I really warmed to it tonight, the end made me well up. What I loved the most was the backstory between the Phantom and the utterly vile scuzzball wonderfully played by Michael Gough. Glad I came back to this. 8/10

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Helen_S:
[QB] lol Terd, was it the original or remake that you watched? The original I find really disturbing until the hilarious ending.

LOL! I forgot about the remake. It was the original from 1972 that I watched. I found it disturbing also. I actually didn't watch the end but after reading yer earlier post about the end being funny I had the urge to revisit it. I did some research on it and was surprised to learn it pulled 3 Million at the box office on a $90000 budget.

Posts: 1990 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Psycho (1960) Rewatch 9/10

The groundbreaking classic that still rocks. Awesome performances from Anthony Perkins and Janet Leigh.

-

Nurse 3D (2013) 6/10

A fun but uneven low-budget erotic thriller/horror film. The star Paz de la Huerta sure is one of a kind gal [Smile]

-

Psycho II (1983) Rewatch 7/10

A good sequel written by Tom "Fright Night" Holland and directed by Richard "Patrick/Road Games" Franklin.
Nice early 80s atmosphere and Perkins is so cool.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by TerdNthePoolGGB:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Helen_S:
[QB] lol Terd, was it the original or remake that you watched? The original I find really disturbing until the hilarious ending.

LOL! I forgot about the remake. It was the original from 1972 that I watched. I found it disturbing also. I actually didn't watch the end but after reading yer earlier post about the end being funny I had the urge to revisit it. I did some research on it and was surprised to learn it pulled 3 Million at the box office on a $90000 budget.

Hehe, glad you got back to it [Big Grin] That's good going eh!

Psycho 2 is such a good sequel Atomik, as is 4. Not as keen on part 3.

Dracula: Prince Of Darkness - 10/10 and Dracula Has Risen From The Grave - 8/10 In 70s thread

Patient Zero (2018) - I recorded this cos I just thought it could be something I could chuck on late at night when I don't wanna think. It was actually quite good though and a lot of fun. And who doesn't want a pandemic horror during a pandemic horror  - 7/10

The Terminator - This first one has always been a horror film for me through and through. It's been quite a few years since I've watched, damn is Kyle intense haha. I don't get why people rag on the effects, they are creepy as hell! I used to watch this and part 2 excessively in the 90s and 00s and preferred part 2 for years. I have a feeling that might change. Will see tonight. 9/10

Edit: I'm calling it a dead tie [Razz] Terminator II: Judgement Day - 9/10

[ 10. October 2020, 03:24: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

Yeah Helen. The Lorraina Bobbitt hot dog eating contest was hilarious
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
The Terminator 10/10 and yeah, it is a horror film. Terminator 2 8/10 too much silly comedy.
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

El Orfanato aka The Orphanage (2007) 6/10

-

Psycho III (1986) 6/10

-

The Haunting in Connecticut (2009) 6/10

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by TerdNthePoolGGB:
Yeah Helen. The Lorraina Bobbitt hot dog eating contest was hilarious

-
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
The Terminator 10/10 and yeah, it is a horror film. Terminator 2 8/10 too much silly comedy.

Glad you agree [Big Grin] I see your drop down for Psycho 3. That one was so disappointing.
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely prefer the original Terminator. [Cool]

10-10-20 : Freddy vs. Jason (2003)

A decent time-waster.

-

[Razz]

6/10

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
It's a hoot [Big Grin]
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12-10-20: Body Snatchers (1993)

-

A very good adaption of the classic story. The '78 one is still my favourite, though.

7½/10

I still need to see the '56 original.

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 -

Bates Motel (1987) 3/10

Like Anthony Perkins said: " Just terrible".

-

Mandy (2018) 9/10

Like aTomiK said: "Just WOW!"

-

Psycho IV: The Beginning (1990) 6/10

This was ok Showtime cable-tv feature. Some interesting scenes from Norman´s past but i didn´t enjoy the radio talk show thing that much.

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Scars Of Dracula - 8/10, Dracula A.D. 1972 - 5/10 The Satanic Rites Of Dracula - 8/10 and The Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires - 8/10 All in 70s thread.

Ghost Stories (2017) - I wasn't really feeling this much at first but it got better and better as it went on. I was supposed to see the stage version in April. I imagine it woulda played out a lot more eerie in that small theatre setting it was gonna be in. 6/10

The Abandoned (2006) - I don't know if it's just cos I was a bit knackered but I couldn't make head nor tail of this. Just when I thought I knew what was going on it switched again. I did enjoy though. Was spooky and the rundown house was a beaut! 6/10

The Crimes Of Stephen Hawke - This was so much fun. I love Tod Slaughter. 7/10

The Hound Of The Baskervilles (2002) - Ooh, this Richard E. Grant version is definitely one of the best I've seen. 8/10

[ 13. October 2020, 15:38: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
Just finished watching:

-

An excellent follow-up to "Never Hike Alone". It's so well made, I just wish it was longer.

Never Hike Alone

Never Hike in the Snow

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
That is friggin' weird, I was just about to watch the first one!! [Eek!]
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Never Hike Alone was pretty good! I'm gonna give it a 6/10 Gonna watch the second later on [Smile]

Edit: Never Hike In The Snow was better [Big Grin] 7/10

[ 14. October 2020, 14:17: Message edited by: Helen_S ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home